Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 65 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
My faithful 2003 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab did 2 trips across the u.s., once as a family trip full of camping gear along with my photo gear, at that time a film camera and an Oly C5050 plus a tripod, and once moving one of my daughters to California, again with lots of my gear, this time a 645Z,flashes, tripod, and lenses. She's been a faithful girl, with an engine replacement. Her only fault was that she drank too much. Along the way, she was my helpmate for my construction related work from 2003 through 2012, and my art handing work until last February.

Sadly, then she was stolen to be used in an ATM heist, and abandoned on the side of the road with a broken out ignition. Now, it may be that she will be donated/towed away, an undignified end, as I don't want to spend the money to have her repaired, don't have time to do it myself and then the mess of re-registration & etc. Plus my life is different now, and don't need a 3rd vehicle for the occasional use she gets for chores. Too bad, she was a great girl.
The Titan XD Diesel was originally a partnership with Dodge, the plan being to market nearly identical vehicles under both brands. Unfortunately, the crash of 2008 came along, Chrysler Corp became part of the Fiat conglomerate, the Dodge 1500 morphed into the Eco Diesel with the nasty little Fiat 3.0l inline 6 which had a reputation for self destructing at around 60k kilometers, but fit the Dodge mold of inline 6 diesel engines, and the Nissan project languished for several years until they decided to go ahead with it for the 2016 model year.
They did a really poor job of marketing it, and ran into the brick wall of brand loyalty among half ton drivers that pretty much guaranteed the truck would fail in the marketplace.
Marketing allowed for near 2500 series expectations in a truck that was, in reality, a 1500 series that did a 1500 series job without breaking a sweat. Consequently, it was eviscerated by automotive journalists because it doesn't measure up to the F250/Ram/GMC 2500 trucks, something it was never designed to do.

For me, it's a great truck. The local Nissan dealership is wonderful, and the 5.0l Cummins seems to be a very robust engine. Like all modern Diesels, it really hates cold weather, but because Cummins, in their wisdom, seriously erred on the block heater, I have 2 block heaters on the thing. Even in -40ºC/F weather, it fires right up. It does need to be plugged in any time it is colder than -20ºC/ 0ºF, but that seems pretty common with Diesels that have modern emission controls.

My understanding is that Nissan is dropping the Titan entirely for the 2024 model year, which is too bad, as it is one of the only trucks built by a company that keeps adults in the room to ensure everything does what it is supposed to do. They just weren't able to break into the market though.

04-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Tired of having my spare batteries misplaced or lost in the bag, I bought a Tenba Reload Battery 2 pouch. It carries 2 spares safely, and now the batteries are always on hand.
The Pentax D-LI90 packs have a small arrow at one end -- arrow showing in the pouch means it's charged and good to use; arrow hidden, time to recharge.
Pouch looks good. The tip about the arrows is nifty. Even better, paint in the arrow with a dab of nail polish so it is easier to spot.
04-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
The Peak design cuff strap is the one I'm initially thinking of, instead of wrapping the Pentax strap.
I know some people who use it and like it. As for me, I prefer a hand strap (just sliding my hand inside) but I don't like Peak Design's solution, it takes longer to install, so I made my own. I love it and have one on two of my three cameras (the other one mostly stays at home).
04-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
The Peak design cuff strap is the one I'm initially thinking of, instead of wrapping the Pentax strap.

Cuff Camera Wrist Strap | Peak Design Official Site
That’s the one I have. Plus: it attaches easily and is comfortable. Negative: it’s slow to remove from your wrist. The tightening fastener requires a spare hand to loosen.

04-28-2021, 04:09 AM - 2 Likes   #65

Photos: Albums
I have a really small metal tabletop tripod that folds flat and fits in my pocket - its superbly adaptable, strong and useful, can even use it for timelapse with my phone

The other thing is a home made stabiliser, never seen one for sale - made from some paracord and a tripod bolt which fits to the bottom of the camera. You stand on cord to put it under tension, its like a free ISO upgrade . . .
04-28-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My favorite is a wireless remote shutter. It's worth its weight in gold for light painting/long exposure work.
04-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
My favorite is a wireless remote shutter. It's worth its weight in gold for light painting/long exposure work.
Do you mean like the: Remote Control F - Ricoh

04-28-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #68

My favourite accessory lately is a used BOB 3 wheel stroller to carry my camera bag and tripod. It is great for the “gravel/backroad “ photography. It gives you a place to set the camera and changes lenses. No weight on my shoulders is the best.

Mike
04-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
Do you mean like the: Remote Control F - Ricoh
No, it's an RF transmitter with a receiver that plugs into the camera's shutter release port. I don't remember the brand and I'm not home to check right now, but it works at longer distances and no worry about pointing an IR remote at just the right spot.
04-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
I have a really small metal tabletop tripod that folds flat and fits in my pocket - its superbly adaptable, strong and useful, can even use it for timelapse with my phone

The other thing is a home made stabiliser, never seen one for sale - made from some paracord and a tripod bolt which fits to the bottom of the camera. You stand on cord to put it under tension, its like a free ISO upgrade . . .
Those used to be for sale I can't recall what they called them. It's a great idea and I need to make myself one or find one to buy.

Here's a great tutorial on how to make one:
https://www.instructables.com/String-Tripod/
04-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Those used to be for sale I can't recall what they called them. It's a great idea and I need to make myself one or find one to buy.

Here's a great tutorial on how to make one:
https://www.instructables.com/String-Tripod/
Out of curiosity---has anyone tried this with IBIS "on"?
04-29-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Out of curiosity---has anyone tried this with IBIS "on"?
Yes. I found examples on several sites with image stabilization on and off. Some were optically stabilized but the same principle applies. With this method ibis on seems best.
04-29-2021, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #73

my favorite accessory is the peak design slide strap installed on a standard tripod/capture plate.
the slide could be a bit longer though. ^^
04-29-2021, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A favorite accessory is the dual tripod sockets on the Pentax 645 D/Z. The 2 RRS Arca Swiss qr plates are a joy to use.
I always sold L brackets short. The 645 makes a believer out of me. It just needs to be designed in the camera.

Thanks,
barondla
04-30-2021, 03:59 AM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
It could be the the newness, but the peak design cuff has been my favorite accessory for a few weeks.

I can’t believe spent so many years wrapping a long strap around my wrist.
I use the OpTech equivalent, because I use for normal shooting a lengthened OpTech strap for over the shoulder cross body carrying of the camera otherwise, especially for long lenses. Neck straps just don’t make sense, they are simply not long enough and don’t put the camera is a confronts lie place for walking, or taking the camera”s weight.