Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:58 AM   #1

Microphone

Does anyone have experience using an external microphone with their camera, specifically Pentax KP (I don't think the camera model matters here)? While Pentax may not be ideal for recording video, I bet it is way better than any smartphone would be. I despise poor quality sound, and thinking of getting a hotshoe mic. I am willing to deal with the inconvenience of having a separate mic, but I am not ready to fiddle with a shock mount or with completely separate sound recording set-up and syncing my sound with the video stream in post production. The mic should perform indoors and outdoors, and ideally have a removable windshield. My budget is around $150. The videos I would be shooting are kids and youtube videos indoors (no concerts, stadiums, vocals). So, my questions are:

1.Will there be a dramatic improvement in sound quality with an external mic?
2.Which mic have you used? What did you like/dislike?

02-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DR-05X | OVERVIEW | TASCAM - United States
02-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Thank you! It seems to be a stand-alone audio recorder. How would I sync the audio and the video?
02-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought a cheap microphone for my K1. Sound recording is Ok, of course much better than the camera own microphone. But most importantly , what I've learn is about echo cancellation when recording indoors. In addition to sound going from speaker to microphone direct path, sound bounces off the walls, and arrives at the same microphone with some varying time delays depending on bounce path. What greatly improves the clarity of sound recording is either recording outdoors or installing some foam on the walls around the speaker. Other than that, of camera sound recording works reasonably well for me, even with a Pentax camera.

02-22-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've bought a cheap microphone for my K1. Sound recording is Ok, of course much better than the camera own microphone. But most importantly , what I've learn is about echo cancellation when recording indoors. In addition to sound going from speaker to microphone direct path, sound bounces off the walls, and arrives at the same microphone with some varying time delays depending on bounce path. What greatly improves the clarity of sound recording is either recording outdoors or installing some foam on the walls around the speaker. Other than that, of camera sound recording works reasonably well for me, even with a Pentax camera.
This can be a considerable problem and also interferes with the understandably of speech. The best means if you can do it is to mic the subject, placing a microphone on the person or using a suspended directional microphone directly above the subject (which is done a lot in cinematography where a lapel mic would be visually unappealing). The closer the better since the subject's voice will get louder while the reflections stay at nearly constant value (and with increasing voice levels, the gain can be reduced, thus reducing reflected and ambient sound levels). Of course for some situations, and for quick grab shots, this probably won't be practical so you have to deal with audio capture from the camera's location. Then fallback to improvements like you described are all you can do. Good luck with your video work.
02-23-2021, 03:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
This can be a considerable problem and also interferes with the understandably of speech. The best means if you can do it is to mic the subject, placing a microphone on the person or using a suspended directional microphone directly above the subject (which is done a lot in cinematography where a lapel mic would be visually unappealing). The closer the better since the subject's voice will get louder while the reflections stay at nearly constant value (and with increasing voice levels, the gain can be reduced, thus reducing reflected and ambient sound levels). Of course for some situations, and for quick grab shots, this probably won't be practical so you have to deal with audio capture from the camera's location. Then fallback to improvements like you described are all you can do. Good luck with your video work.
Thanks. I've read that software can correct echos, but I prefer to have no echo during recording, natural & simple.
02-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Thanks. I've read that software can correct echos, but I prefer to have no echo during recording, natural & simple.
Your choice is the best since software can "fix" echos but leaves other artifacts that can be objectionable, particularly if the echos are complex and from more than one reflection..
02-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An external mic will be better, but not as good as an external audio recorder. You sync them up in the video editing software. Also a dedicated good quality video camera will work better than a ILC. That said you can still do excellent work with either, they are all tools to get the job done.

02-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

people still sync video and audio with a clapper board, depends on what software you want to deal with. There are lots of good mics for under $50. Get one with a pre-amp (takes a battery) . Your camera has good audio specs
02-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Audio-tehnica pro 24 cm here. Not much into recording audio but it seems to work fine.
YouTube is your friend.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-28-2021 at 08:01 PM.