Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 08:35 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Commentary / short test of the new Godox AD100Pro off-camera flash

I've started experimenting with Godox's new AD100Pro flash, and I thought I might as well write my comments here. It's almost structured like a review, because that's what I do

The flash’s head resembles the company’s V1 hotshoe flash, but in a smaller package overall. In fact, Godox markets the AD100Pro as being the same size as a soda can. This is approximately true, the AD100Pro being a bit wider. The flash is also more powerful than its V1 sibling: the V1 packs 76W of power, while the AD100Pro offers 100W.

The AD100Pro cannot be mounted on-camera; it must be driven either via a trigger, or as an optical slave.

The flash ships in a nice hard case. The package includes a battery, USB-C charger and cable, and a lightstand swivel bracket (with a hole to mount an umbrella).

The flash is a smooth cylinder. The bottom features two standard ¼-20 screw holes for mounting (a tripod plate could be screwed there). The sides show the vents for the built-in cooling fan and a USB port.

The front is completely taken up by the circular flash head itself, along with the small modeling light.

The back is where all the controls are located. The screen has a black background with bright writing, which looks nice.

The battery can power the flash for up to 360 full-power flashes. It is nominally the same battery as for the company’s V1 flash, but the form factor is actually slightly different, even though they use the same charger.

The beam size can be adjusted from 28mm to 85mm. The shooting mode (TTL, manual, multi exposure) has a dedicated button. Access to the optical slave option is buried in menus.

There is a modeling light.

Power output can be adjusted from 1/1 to 1/256, in 1/10 steps.

In general, menus and controls are logical and easy to understand. The buttons give good feedback and the scroll wheel is a nice element.

Triggering

The AD100Pro works with Godox’s X line of 2.4GHz triggers, such as the XPro and X2T. Godox’s hotshoe flashes can also serve as masters.

With the right trigger or master flash, the AD100Pro can operate in TTL with any camera brand. This impressive feature makes it very flexible. Of course, for this to work you need to stay within Godox’s ecosystem; it is not possible to use wireless TTL otherwise.

I've been using the X2T trigger. It has a smaller screen than its XPro, less buttons for direct control and lacks TCM (TTL Converted to Manual). It also offers 5 groups instead of the XPro’s 16. On the other hand, it is smaller, offers a “dumb” hotshoe and backlit buttons.

The X2T can also be controlled via Bluetooth. Since the trigger is almost always on-camera, the usefulness of the Bluetooth control is mainly for easier adjustment of shooting parameters. Using a phone’s screen is often more comfortable, and an assistant can tune the light while the photographer is shooting.

Using the GodoxPhoto app is simple and straightforward. It works surprisingly well, without hiccups. This is a nice perk of the X2T trigger.

Accessories

Just like the Godox V1, the AD100Pro can accept a variety of accessories. Godox sell a kit (AK-R1) which includes gel filters, a bounce card, barndoors, a spherical diffuser, a snoot, a grid, w flat diffuser and gel filters. All of these accessories attach magnetically to the flash and to each other. This makes mounting and stacking very simple, I like it much better than I expected. The accessories ship in a case matching the AD100Pro’s case.

In some ways, the AD100Pro is a strange product. Less powerful than the company’s AD200Pro,close in price, the AD100Pro can be hard to understand.

The AD100Pro really makes sense for photography outside of the studio. It's about the size of many 85mm lenses, so essentially it takes up the space of one lens in your bag. It can be attached to a tripod so you don't really need a separate lightstand.

The quality of fabrication is impressive. The flash is very well made and feels durable. Nothing feels cheap.

One of the main qualities of this flash is the ease of use. Its operation is straightforward and simple. Coupled with a trigger, many photographers will rarely touch the flash apart from turning it on.

In my experience, the flash has been reliable, operating without fault or missed shots. Its fast recycle time is great, particularly with subjects who move constantly, such as children. I've been using V850 flashes from Godox for several years, and I really appreciate those fast recycle times.

The small size and cylindrical shape are really the standout features of this flash, making it easy to place in a typical camera bag.

02-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Nicely reviewed, you pretty much covered all the bases. The Godox ecosystems of lights is darn impressive.

I had some interest in this strobe when it was initially announced, but the value factor just isn't there for me being only $50 less than the AD200 which I already have two of. I also have a tiny compact speedlight if there's some particularly teeny space to fit a light in. For those with little regular need for augmenting light the AD100 is a really nice strobe according to all the reviews I've read, just not bringing much new for those who already have one (or more) of Godox more powerful lights IMO.
02-26-2021, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Godox ecosystems of lights is darn impressive.
It is. You can get a system for about the price of a single flash from the OEM. And it works.

I had some interest in this strobe when it was initially announced, but the value factor just isn't there for me being only $50 less than the AD200 which I already have two of.
Agreed, if the AD200 works for you, the AD100Pro is harder to justify. When you want small and powerful, the latter makes more sense.

I also have a tiny compact speedlight if there's some particularly teeny space to fit a light in.
On Pentax, I use the Metz 52 AF-1 when I want PTTL, and Godox V850 when I'm in the studio (manual system). On Sony, I've got a tiny TT350s TTL flash (and Godox master source) and the AD100Pro, which I can couple with the V850 system in manual. I haven't traveled since getting the AD100Pro of course, but I could see myself bringing the TT350 and AD100Pro together, being all set for casual and more controlled flash photography.

For those with little regular need for augmenting light the AD100 is a really nice strobe according to all the reviews I've read, just not bringing much new for those who already have one (or more) of Godox more powerful lights IMO.
02-26-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It is. You can get a system for about the price of a single flash from the OEM. And it works.

On Sony, I've got a tiny TT350s TTL flash (and Godox master source) and the AD100Pro, which I can couple with the V850 system in manual. I haven't traveled since getting the AD100Pro of course, but I could see myself bringing the TT350 and AD100Pro together, being all set for casual and more controlled flash photography.
I have the same Adorama TT350 that I've used as both master and slave on my Pentax cameras. That's the "tiny compact speedlight" I was referring to.

Lighting has become so much easier since Godox came on the scene.

02-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Great review! Thanks!
02-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the great review.
I recently bought the X2T and AD100Pro based on this for my K-1, as I would like to have a portable setup to go shoot portraits on location.
I am totally new in flash photography and I can't seem to make the flash work properly.
First of all I get some banding when I try TTL. I tried to fix this with lowering the response time of the flash (even for 0.5sec), but I still get banding.
Secondly, my flash doesn't fire when I put it in manual mode.

I tried to look it up, but can't find anything useful. They always mention to check the channels and batteries. But everything is connected: the test fires a flash, TTL fires a flash, but M doesn't.
What am I doing incorrectly?
02-15-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauzi Quote
I am totally new in flash photography and I can't seem to make the flash work properly.
First of all I get some banding when I try TTL. I tried to fix this with lowering the response time of the flash (even for 0.5sec), but I still get banding.
If you get banding, it means your camera is trying to shoot faster than 1/200 seconds (or 1/160s depending on the model) without activating HSS. HSS is only needed if you're shooting in bright sunlight and want a wide aperture, and using it all the time decreases the lifetime of the flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lauzi Quote
Secondly, my flash doesn't fire when I put it in manual mode.
That's weird, my guess would have been that you've somehow change the channel but you say you haven't. But if your speed is too fast (faster than 1/200s), the trigger might still be sending a command in PTTL, but not in manual? Look into that.