Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2021, 02:47 AM   #16

I am in a similar situation with four kids between 10 and 2 yrs old. I usually use one of those form fitting slr bags, sometimes with a neoprene pouch clipped to the side for an extra lens. One solution is to get my 10 yr old to carry my K-5 with my 18-55 attached or a small prime. This has the added advantage of him starting to want to take photos too. If I have a pack I'll carefully pack in lenses in the same neoprene pouches and just carry the camera on its strap but that's not ideal.

03-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This maybe not what you want to hear but I have long given up on combining social/family trips with photographic opportunities.

I find I enjoy social trips with just my iphone, or dedicated photo excursions simply on my own.
To be honest that has been my attitude for many year, especially with infants. But now the youngest has just turned 2, and as I browse my archives the pictures taken with the DSLR really stand out from the lot, particularly when it comes to drawing the kids eyes. I should have specified that my primary intention in those circumstances is to capture memories better than with phone/compact.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
An adjustable sling strap, which attaches to the camera's tripod thread and left hand strap lug, is more comfortable than the traditional strap. You can easily swing the camera behind your back when a child needs carrying.

A clip on your belt (or the shoulder strap of your backpack) is useful as a more secure mounting point for your camera if you need to run after a kid with the camera bouncing around.

The carry system I use is made by Peak Design, but there are no doubt others.
Thanks for the tips. I had looked at Peak Design many years ago for their detachable slings (mainly because the strap annoys me when using the tripod).

The clip system is the Peak Design Capture correct? It does look to be versatile and light enough.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Greetings! I use a B-Grip Uno*, which attaches to a backpack shoulder strap. A quick-release mounting plate attached to the camera’s tripod socket secures the camera plus lens so that it hangs downwards. I’ve used mine with a K-5 plus original 55-300, and now with the K-3II and the 55-300PLM and it’s perfectly stable, and quick-release.

*other mounting systems are available! 😉
Thanks, that seems like an interesting system too. Nice that it comes with Arca Swiss too.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
is the purpose of your activity to enjoy, supervise and interact with your children ?

if so, no photography equipment or the bare minimum, camera with good zoom

I cannot imagine how you could safely carry camera equipment while carrying a child

if your spouse is helping, I suggest you make sure you take turns so you are not the only one who doesn't have to look after the children

if carrying your camera and lens, I recommend an over the shoulder sling as mentioned but I like the way the Optech USA utility sling attaches to my camera at the upper lug on the camera
The outings purpose is usually to discover or share knowledge with them, while letting them spend energy, with the preservation of memories being important (we do yearly and trip centered picture albums, altough we've got a few years of backlog now, and reviewing them together is a favored past time of ours).

I'll keep in mind the good zoom recommendation.

My spouse is usually with us, and she even asks for the camera from time to time, if only for me to figure on some of our pictures (might have to seriously consider a mini tripod at some point).

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you want to carry a camera comfortably and have it ready to shoot, what Sandy said. If you want to carry equipment to get it out when you want it, a small sling bag is quick and not heavy. I have two sizes (small and medium)of the ThinkTank Turnstyle sling bags, you don't have to take them off to access them, small enough to not be burdened with carrying too much.
Thanks, I'll keep the ThinkTank reference in mind. I've used a sling bag that came together with my office's Canon, and its indeed low profile enough to be able to store the camera when done, and have and extra lens handy.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I use a very old Tamrac holster style (not sure they still make one like it), but looks somewhat like a slightly slimmer version of this (this was just a somewhat random grab at B&H - poke around on their site to see a lot of variants and options on size, pouches etc):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626825-REG/Case_Logic_SLRC_201_SLRC_2...981&

I put my 55-300 PLM in the front pocket, and then my K-3 II and attached lens in the main compartment, and depending on the size of that attached lens, perhaps another at the bottom, e.g. 15 Limited in a pouch, K-3 II with 20-40 Limited mounted above it, and the PLM in the pocket. There's enough room in it to also carry a spare battery and a couple polarizers. I've found it a great way to go for a walk with the dog and family and have what I need in a light weight kit.
Thanks, I'll have a look at holsters too.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A small prime lens will make all the difference.
I won't say I've never been tempted by that...

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
There is a 2 year gap in my photo archive around the time my kids were toddlers. I regret that.

My family now loves to go on hikes and travel in general. I gave up taking pictures of stuff. Now I bring my gear to take great memories of our trips. And the photos really are fantastic.

A few things I have learned to make life easier. I have moved from shoulder bags like domke, which I love btw, to backpacks. I tend to take a few lenses on a trip but on each outing pick one and stick with it. I also tend to prefer telephoto and fast - two things that makes photos distinct from phone snaps. And primes.

I tend to like non photo backpacks as well. Usually I will pack a camera and lens and the family wants a bunch of other stuff too in there. That's fine. I just throw the photo gear in with a wrap or small case of some kind.

I am exploring capture clips like peak design. I do have their neck straps and I tend to just wear the straps cross body. Tighten up the strap and push the camera around on your back and it makes it easier to carry kids and move around freely. Peak design straps make it easy to change where the camera is anchored so you can hang it different ways based on lens and mood.

Last summer I travelled with a 300, 55, 21 and 15. We have started hiking on weekends already this year. I pick a lens for the day and out I go. Last weekend was the 100mm macro. Before was the 20-40. This weekend, who knows.

One other thing. I have my camera out until I lose interest and then am not afraid to throw it back in the bag. And a comfortable backpack is a wonderful thing!
I have a similar sentiment that my DSLR was relegated to storage for a bit too long, especially when we had toddlers. And I sorely regret that when I browse trough my archive and notice how many of those pictures that pop were taken with the K-5 iis.

Day to day I'd usually carry a messenger bag, and on each outing I'd have gotten the bad idea of taking it along, I'd invariably end up with a sore shoulder too.

Good call on why to favor a fast telephoto, I'll try switching the 18-135 with the 33-300 WR and 100 macro, especially as those are reasonably light and so far have given me interesting results at home.

I am definitely gonna research that Peak Design Capture clip.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Try a neoprene camera strap. I use OpTech. Although the weight of the camera/lens is obviously unchanged it just feels lighter, I suspect due to the cushioning and shock absorption effect of the neoprene.

Not at all expensive to buy and try.

If I carry additional lenses I carry as few as I need in as small a pack as necessary, either around my waist or on my back.

As others say, out with the kids or out to take photos. If with the kids then absolute minimum camera kit, ideally 1 body plus suitable zoom.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I use the sling strap by Sun Sniper. It attaches at the tripod mount, and the camera slides along the strap. It is worn cross-body, where the camera, when not in use, can easily be held in place by a pricey clip that they make, or just a simple carabiner on your left or right side. They also make a slider which can be attached to any kind of strap; backpack, camera bag or even a small-child carrying backpack.
Thanks! Will look into that.

---------- Post added 03-13-21 at 06:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brisboy Quote
I am in a similar situation with four kids between 10 and 2 yrs old. I usually use one of those form fitting slr bags, sometimes with a neoprene pouch clipped to the side for an extra lens. One solution is to get my 10 yr old to carry my K-5 with my 18-55 attached or a small prime. This has the added advantage of him starting to want to take photos too. If I have a pack I'll carefully pack in lenses in the same neoprene pouches and just carry the camera on its strap but that's not ideal.
Mine are from 7 to 2. I wouldn't trust the eldest yet with my K-5 iis, but he usually does take good care of my TG-4, with some interesting results (now if only he'd just stick with photography and not clog my archive with videos...). Good to know at what age I could reasonably put the DSLR in his hands.
03-13-2021, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #18

My daughter got my istDL when she was 8. Then she gave it to my son when he was 8 and she got a Fuji x100s I found cheap and wanted to see if I liked Fuji and the rangefinder form factor.

The real problem now is when we travel everyone wants to bring their gear. I did it to myself. Fair warning.
03-13-2021, 07:44 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
. . . I'll keep in mind the good zoom recommendation. . . .
take a look at the DA 16-85mm

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm zoom was presented at Photokina 2014 and is expected to ship in November of 2014.

This zoom represents an upgrade from the 18-55mm kit lens being wider as well as having a longer reach and adding to that silent autofocus thanks to a built-in DC autofocus motor.

The lens is weather resistant
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6
Introduction
The HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR joined the Pentax K-mount lens lineup in late 2014 as an upper-end standard zoom lens. We find this lens to be an important addition to the Pentax APS-C system as it provides users with a highly-versatile 5x zoom range and a very wide field of view while maintaining a high standard of image quality. Simultaneously, it fills a gap in the Pentax lens lineup by competing directly with similar lenses from other brands, such Nikon's 16-85mm and Canon's 15-85mm.

This lens is packed with some of the latest technologies from Pentax, including silent DC autofocus, weather sealing, and HD coating. Its optical design prioritizes image quality, compactness, and flexibility over aperture speed.
Read more at: HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

03-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I also tend to prefer telephoto and fast - two things that makes photos distinct from phone snaps. And primes.
Tele is nice but for kids it tidies things up to much imho. A tele shot of a kid makes them look all static and calm. I might be famed on this site as a bit of a DA15 critic but it rules for photographing active children. You will end up on the ground for good shots but it's worth it. Somehow wides or moderate uwa's just captures kids better imho.

I never had any issues, other than the occasional banged childs head, with carrying Pentax apsc and da limiteds. I tend to wear it sling style tightly across the chest with the camera tucked behind my left arm for active moments. Grabbing the camera with my right hand and pulling the left out for a photo takes 2 seconds.

The K-1 however doesn't work at all with the above. Even with tiny lenses the bulk of the camera gets in the way. I had to get a bag to use the K-1 which is very annoying.
05-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I don't have kids, but we regularly babysit our 3.5 year old nephew. I took him to cars and coffee a couple weeks ago, thinking I'd get lots of really great photos for his parents. The KP on a Peak Design sling worked out very well, but I misjudged how little my hands would be free to focus the MF prime that I'd grabbed.

I'm just going to take the old Fuji X10 next time, since I can work it one handed and it produces good enough images for his parental units.
05-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi!

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but hopefully I can help.

To me there are two elements to answer your question.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMvS Quote
I would like to be able to take along my Pentax more often, most likely with the 18-135 by default, altough I've entertained the idea of a two camera setting using the HD 55-300 WR combined with the TG-4 (I do use that combination for bridge pile inspection work with satisfactory results). I haven't defined it yet, but I do ponder about a 2 lens set, given that the TG-4 is very often in the hands of my 7y old eldest, which I might have interested a bit too much in photography (as he was still 6, I once came back from work only to see that he had taken my Pentax and tripod, carefully combined the two in the garden, and asked siblings and guests to pose for pictures and videos...).
I would first get a Peak Design Capture Clip and attach it to the shoulder strap of any backpack you're wearing. Stable, secure, camera doesn't move at all, always at the ready. I wouldn't part with that accessory (in fact I now own 4...)

Second, I would look at Mindshift Gear's rotation180 backpacks. I reviewed the 34L a few years ago, recently the company upgraded these bags (available as of this week actually!). They are a blessing for any hiking photographer, and I would certainly not part with mine. Other bags are good for hiking, these are great.

05-10-2021, 02:40 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Hi!

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but hopefully I can help.

To me there are two elements to answer your question.

I would first get a Peak Design Capture Clip and attach it to the shoulder strap of any backpack you're wearing. Stable, secure, camera doesn't move at all, always at the ready. I wouldn't part with that accessory (in fact I now own 4...)

Second, I would look at Mindshift Gear's rotation180 backpacks. I reviewed the 34L a few years ago, recently the company upgraded these bags (available as of this week actually!). They are a blessing for any hiking photographer, and I would certainly not part with mine. Other bags are good for hiking, these are great.
Thanks for the input! Will look into that.