Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How do you carry your filters?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

It seems the biggest hassle when using filters is reaching out for them. I often move with the wife and kids, and any action taking too long gets me impatient looks. I got the camera quick access well sorted out, but for filters%? How do you guys do it?

Quick access to 2-3 filters is probably all I'd look for. In a tiny package of course, when hiking I want to keep the size and weight small.

For the moment I use a no-name filter wallet from Amazon, with a velcro closure and slots for 3 filters. Not bad, but far from perfect.

Note that I do plan on getting soon one of those magnetic filter systems (probably the Kenko as it seems to be the most versatile).

Thanks!

03-19-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
How do you carry your filters?
How I carry filters is probably not compatible with how you wish to proceed :P

I use 100mm square or rectangle drop-in filters and carry them in this pouch:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Haida-100-series-Filter-Soft-Bag-Protector-Case-Pouc...wAAOSwdGFYtZBk

I have a Haida filter holder which contains built-in a polarizing filter.
I couldn't find my exact holder, but it similar to: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Haida-M10-100mm-Filter-Holder-Kit-with-58mm-Adapter-...L/264734545338

This way, if I need to change filters on the fly, all I do is pull out the filter and drop in a different one.
The only impatience experienced would be swapping the unit when using a different lens.
03-19-2021, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have two Filter Nest Mini from Mindshift.

Filter Nest Mini - camera lens filter pouch wallet case ? Think Tank Photo

Each has 4 colour coded pockets, one being a bit wider. I had a few other cheaper solutions earlier, but these were either not very practical or didn't survive my abuse. So I decided to spend a bit more and have been happy to have done so since. They are perfect for my 77mm filters and step down rings.

Only regret is that they don't make an even smaller version that would be better for the 49mm filters that I use on my GR III.

Wim
03-19-2021, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a small ThinkTank sling bag and I can keep three or four filters in a pocket in the back of the bag, I have it pulled out so you can slightly see them. If I'm not carrying a bag but plan to sue a filter it can go in a pocket. I also have a little ThinkTank "Stuffit" bag full of filters in my truck, which could be put on a belt.

Name:  IMG_0986.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  168.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  228.4 KB

03-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When you have a lots of filters of the same size as you can with BW film photography, Lens Stack Caps work well. You screw all your filters together and cap the stack of filters off on each end with a metal screw-on cap. One has male and the other female threads.
03-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this one for my Haida M10 Filterset and like it. Filter holder and everything else fits in. Side pocket for adapters. So not very compact. But you can fix the bag to your belt or a tripod.

Haida has a great variety of different sized filter bags.
03-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everybody for sharing your experience, I'm in a similar situation as bdery ...

I found lens stack cap to be somewhat slow to work with, but very compact. I usually use a variety of filter cases. For my 49mm filters, I have some old transparent ones that let you flip up the lid - East German, I think. My favorite - compact, tidy, fast. It depends on the bag or backpack where I put them, but it is usually a shallow pocket, so there is no chance of opening spontanously. For my 58mm (and even some 62mm), I have simple twist-locking transparent Kenko filter cases, similar ones available from 3rd parties sometimes. Almost as compact and fast, but you definitely need two hands, which the flip-open lid one doesn't. Devoid of an alternative, I'm using one of the usual thermo plastic square boxes, which e.g. come with Haida filters, for my 72mm filter. Rather bad handling, not any better than the B&W or Heliopan sliding ones.

I haven't bought a pouch yet, always worried that with the soft construction, they might be touching the filter surface if I squeeze them into the front pockets of my bags. Others looked too bulky.

03-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How many filters do you realistically plan on using during an outing? I use a ThinkTank envelope style holder for the individual filters.

I slap a screw on CPL on many of my lenses, and never think twice, it will probably stay on the lens until night falls.

If you buy a screw on variable ND filter for the widest diameter lens you use for outings, and step up/down rings to use on smaller diameter lenses, you don't need multiple ND filters.

I prefer slip in Cokin ND Grad filters or warming/softening filters, and I place the appropriate diameter ring on the lens, and either put the filter holder as needed or leave if on as I walk around.

Last edited by robgski; 03-19-2021 at 11:00 AM.
03-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I have two Filter Nest Mini from Mindshift.

Filter Nest Mini - camera lens filter pouch wallet case ? Think Tank Photo

Each has 4 colour coded pockets, one being a bit wider. I had a few other cheaper solutions earlier, but these were either not very practical or didn't survive my abuse. So I decided to spend a bit more and have been happy to have done so since. They are perfect for my 77mm filters and step down rings.
I love Mindshift. Their Nest Mini looks great, but a bit large for what I need. For the moment I use something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/DomeStar-dappareil-transport-professionnel-R%C3%A...6175470&sr=8-6

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I can keep three or four filters in a pocket in the back of the bag
You just throw the filters in that pocket without protection or anything to sort them?

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Lens Stack Caps work well. You screw all your filters together and cap the stack of filters off on each end with a metal screw-on cap.
That's ideal for compactness, but not ideal for protection or for quick access.

To give a bit more context: I mainly use three 67mm filters and a very nice Revoring filter holder from H&Y:

REVORING Variable Step Adapter To Fit Screw-In Filters | H&Y Filters

That adapter means the 67mm filters can be used antively on my 60-250, on some lenses I have on other systems and, thanks to the Revoring, on all my other Pentax lenses (diameters between 49mm and 62mm).

I plan on getting a magnetic filter mount on the Revoring and on my 67mm lenses, and either get a 67mm magnetic polarizer or a converter for the regular one I have, and converters for my ND filters. That would really speed up mounting, but does nothing for quick access.

The Revoring has its own neoprene sleeve, but it has no attachment points If I use a magnetic mount, there won't be any need to protect the Revoring since it's not fragile (when a filter is mounted, of course it needs protection).

Using an all-magnetic system, including the caps for filter protection, would allow the use of a system like the one proposed by @tuco, but it would make the system very expensive and very thick.

For the record, the magnetic system I'm looking at is the upcoming Kenko Pro1D+ Instant Access. More versatile and less expensive than Freewell (and for filters, Kenko = Hoya).

Note that I also have a 67-82mm Revoring with built-in variable ND filter, but this one is hug and not often used.
03-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

How many filters do you stack with digital photography? A ND and CPL filter? And why the does 10 seconds matter in deploying your filter?
03-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And why the does 10 seconds matter in deploying your filter?
If all you have is, say, 40s (a number from research on pedestrian behavior in traffic) to take a picture, then 2 x 10s will already take half of it. Getting the camera out takes ~5s, some partial stowing another 5s (rest on the run), which leaves you with 10s for camera settings, framing and exposure :-) No lens change budget, that's for rests or on the move only.

As bdery indicated, if your best chances to take pictures are on family hikes, you are always looking for ways to optimize in order to take some time pressure out of the process. If it takes too long, you don't use filters, even if you know you'd like to try in a specific situation.
03-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

You just throw the filters in that pocket without protection or anything to sort them?
They are in their individual cases between two layers of padding. Sort them? There are only 3 in there.
03-19-2021, 05:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I only have/use 2 filters, a polarizer & a red filter. The polarizer I leave on my lens (have one for my 35mm & one for my 55mm) with the lens hood attached. For the red filter, I leave in the little case it came it and leave in one of the side pouches.
03-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using a crumpler backpack camera bag chiefly because it doesn't look like a camera bag, and secondly because it is full of little pockets and pouches to store such things. Lee produce filter pouch for their square filter system and it is made of what I take to be neoprene, for me the problem with its design is the use of Velcro which is noisy and over time collects material that reduces its effectiveness. I had a leather worker reproduce it in soft Emu leather with brass snap buttons that are quicker to use while remaining secure. This pouch resides in the laptop storage compartment of the bag where it fits snugly.
03-22-2021, 05:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How many filters do you stack with digital photography? A ND and CPL filter?
A CPL and 2 ND, typically. Plus, as I wrote above, the Revoring adapter so that I can mount filters on various lenses.

And why the does 10 seconds matter in deploying your filter?
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
If all you have is, say, 40s (a number from research on pedestrian behavior in traffic) to take a picture, then 2 x 10s will already take half of it. Getting the camera out takes ~5s, some partial stowing another 5s (rest on the run), which leaves you with 10s for camera settings, framing and exposure :-) No lens change budget, that's for rests or on the move only.
Great way to put it! Plus, you don't know my wife

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
As bdery indicated, if your best chances to take pictures are on family hikes, you are always looking for ways to optimize in order to take some time pressure out of the process. If it takes too long, you don't use filters, even if you know you'd like to try in a specific situation.
That's exactly it. I now use the Peak Design tripod instead of the Sirui T-025X because, even though it's a bit heavier, it's also a bit faster.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I had a leather worker reproduce it in soft Emu leather with brass snap buttons that are quicker to use while remaining secure. This pouch resides in the laptop storage compartment of the bag where it fits snugly.
That's a nice idea. Probably above my budget for this, however.