Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feisol CT center column question

Looking at CT 3342 with optional center column. Tripod won't go low to ground with long center column in place. Can the center column be removed and hung between the tripod legs? If not, can a head be attached to the column's opposite end, by removing the bag hook?

Thanks,
barondla

03-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Looking at CT 3342 with optional center column. Tripod won't go low to ground with long center column in place. Can the center column be removed and hung between the tripod legs? If not, can a head be attached to the column's opposite end, by removing the bag hook?

Thanks,
barondla
Short answer: yes. Longer answer: be careful---it has bushings and you need to be very observant how they must go back. Spoken from painful experience.
03-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Short answer: yes. Longer answer: be careful---it has bushings and you need to be very observant how they must go back. Spoken from painful experience.
Thanks for the warning. Studied the leg bushings diagram and the design is more complex than my aluminum Gitzos. Higher parts count and orientation matters. Didn't see instructions for the center column.

Been watching the CT3342 on Feisol's site for a month. Constant backorder. Stock reached -18! Last night 2 were available. I pounced. Should arrive next week. Didn't order a center column. Debating between none, short, long, or leveling ball. My Gitzo Studex Giluxe is 5.5lbs without head. Looking forward to the light weight Feisol.

Thanks,
barondla
03-24-2021, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the warning. Studied the leg bushings diagram and the design is more complex than my aluminum Gitzos. Higher parts count and orientation matters. Didn't see instructions for the center column.

Been watching the CT3342 on Feisol's site for a month. Constant backorder. Stock reached -18! Last night 2 were available. I pounced. Should arrive next week. Didn't order a center column. Debating between none, short, long, or leveling ball. My Gitzo Studex Giluxe is 5.5lbs without head. Looking forward to the light weight Feisol.

Thanks,
barondla
I love my Feisol, and it's held up well and is very stable with my Z onboard. I use Acratech heads on it, btw---I have the macro one (angled gripper ring) and the "pano" one. When I have to go light, this is my setup. Otherwise I'm now using this, which I heartily recommend, although not light. Got mine for $569, however....The max height of 70.8 inches is just the legs, not with the center column extended. A nice feature is I can walk under it when it's at full height and the cc is extended. Ladder not included, however.

03-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I love my Feisol, and it's held up well and is very stable with my Z onboard. I use Acratech heads on it, btw---I have the macro one (angled gripper ring) and the "pano" one. When I have to go light, this is my setup. Otherwise I'm now using this, which I heartily recommend, although not light. Got mine for $569, however....The max height of 70.8 inches is just the legs, not with the center column extended. A nice feature is I can walk under it when it's at full height and the cc is extended. Ladder not included, however.
That tripod is a beast. Makes perfect sense for the things you photograph at the museum. A good ladder is mandatory. Years ago remember seeing, in a brochure, a Gitzo and a ladder was one of the legs. Can't begin to imagine the cost or weight.

I've looked at the Acratech heads and they are on the list.

Thanks,
barondla
03-25-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

That tripod is a beast. Makes perfect sense for the things you photograph at the museum. A good ladder is mandatory. Years ago remember seeing, in a brochure, a Gitzo and a ladder was one of the legs. Can't begin to imagine the cost or weight.

I've looked at the Acratech heads and they are on the list.

Thanks,
barondla
They should be on your list, at least for travel/hiking. Some years ago DPR did a ball head test and the Acratech did very well. I've never encountered a ball head that was as good at their weight.

On the tripod, I don't mind carrying it into the field, as long as it's not too far or rough or steep. I'll put up with weight and bulk if I'm getting something out of it. Have even traveled with it, but only on long trips that can accommodate gear in checked baggage, which I try to avoid if possible. And it has been dead handy, I've been surprised. And here's the best accessory ladder I've found: Gorilla LaddersGLXP-5 - Gorilla Ladders
03-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They should be on your list, at least for travel/hiking. Some years ago DPR did a ball head test and the Acratech did very well. I've never encountered a ball head that was as good at their weight.

On the tripod, I don't mind carrying it into the field, as long as it's not too far or rough or steep. I'll put up with weight and bulk if I'm getting something out of it. Have even traveled with it, but only on long trips that can accommodate gear in checked baggage, which I try to avoid if possible. And it has been dead handy, I've been surprised. And here's the best accessory ladder I've found: Gorilla LaddersGLXP-5 - Gorilla Ladders
Feisol arrived a few days ago. Wow, it is nice! Will use it a while before deciding if I need to order a center column.

Thanks,
barondla

03-31-2021, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Feisol arrived a few days ago. Wow, it is nice! Will use it a while before deciding if I need to order a center column.

Thanks,
barondla
Congrats! Mine has given faithful service for quite a while....a decade?