Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #1

KP. Microphone requires plug-in power

The KP user manual states to only use an external microphone that is stereo, no mono allowed, and built to accept “plug-in” power. So, only a condenser microphone should be used. And it should be a condenser microphone that does not have its own battery power supply. And it should not require power greater than 2 volts. Just how many microphones are out there that meet this criteria? I’m not sure microphones requiring phantom power qualify, as they typical can demand as much as 48 volts. Most microphone I see advertised online make no mention of “plug-in” power. I would appreciate any clarifications offered on this topic. In the meantime I will be closely examining the specifications of DSLR capable microphones.

03-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Dynamic microphones (assuming they aren't damaged or built terribly) can accept power just fine, they just don't use it.
Can try this with any interface/mixer with phantom power and a standard dynamic mic.

Also I assume the stereo thing would just mean mono is only on one channel. Extremely easy to fix in post.

More information on "plug-in power" if you're interested.

https://www.rode.com/blog/all/Guide-to-Powering-Your-Video-Mic