Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will that Moose stay warm?

I've just come into possession of a "Moose's warming C-PL" and had a question. Since this filter comes with the function of "warming" the photo built in, would the use of AWB negate that effect? I do shoot RAW, so I know that can be fixed in post. Is this filter more a remnant of shooting film, or am I missing something?

04-01-2021, 03:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I've just come into possession of a "Moose's warming C-PL" and had a question. Since this filter comes with the function of "warming" the photo built in, would the use of AWB negate that effect? I do shoot RAW, so I know that can be fixed in post. Is this filter more a remnant of shooting film, or am I missing something?
I believe AWB does not impact RAW only the jpeg thumbnail for the image. Some have in the past argued that there is also an impact to the RAW image, but remember most people shoot raw so they can adjust things like WB themselves, and because they can correct for errors in camera settings.

Applying an automated function like AWB negates that.

You would need to be aware of the change in color temperature that your filter applies to the image because the way you process it could put the same correction as AWB.

What you should do is set the camera to daylight, and shoot RAW+JPEG with the filter so you can see the effect of the filter in the jpeg image as a reference.

Also, and this depends on your raw processor, but I believe the jpeg settings are in the extended data of the raw image and your image processor may open/ be able to open, the raw file with the cameras default jpeg settings
04-01-2021, 04:55 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I believe AWB does not impact RAW only the jpeg thumbnail for the image. Some have in the past argued that there is also an impact to the RAW image, but remember most people shoot raw so they can adjust things like WB themselves, and because they can correct for errors in camera settings.
The WB settings do not affect the RAW data, but may affect how one's RAW processing software treats those data. The makernotes section of the EXIF contains a set of multiplier values corresponding to the WB as set by the user or calculated by the camera. In ExifTool, the tag is called WhitePoint and contains four 16-bit integers (RGGB). The RAW processor will apply those factors to as one of the base corrections if it is savvy to Pentax metadata.

Steve
04-01-2021, 05:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it would negate the effect and introduce a (minute, negligible, unless the filter is very strong) amount of noise because aws will boost the channels reduced by the filter (blue?) Just for the sake of easier editing, I've been interested in color filters for bw, with the plan to leave wb set to a fixed neutral value such as 5500k

Last edited by aaacb; 04-01-2021 at 05:42 AM.