Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 04:12 AM   #1

why no camera bag with hidden tripod

Hi guys I thought I would post this to see how many people would prefer this option
When I we go outwith are cameras and tripods we normally have a camera a couple oflenses and tripod that attaches to the bag or backpack
Why hasn’t any bagcompany’s put a hidden department on the outside of the bag and whydon’t they have a long say 19inch compartment inside the camera bag
The reason I say this is when I have me gear with me I don’t want the bag looking like a camera bag and I also don’t want a tripod sticking out theside of it
I have a bag thathas a tripod compartment at the bottom but its bad on my shoulder
Its the only bag that has a tripod hidden holder this is the bag I have
VEO GO 34M KG Shoulder Bag For Mirrorless

The problem with itis shoulder ache and no proper carrying handle
The culture we live in at the moment of robbery and physical abuse and I am surprised the camera bag makers haven’t seen this gap in the market
Ive decided on the
MindShift Gear BackLight 26L - Charcoal

InteriorDimensions:
10.2” W x 19.3” H x 5.9” D (26 x49 x 15 cm)
Exterior Dimensions:

11.4” Wx 20.3” H x 7.9” D (29 x 51.5 x 20 cm)
Laptop:
10”W x 15.3” H x 1”D (25.5 x 38.8 x 2.5 cm)
Tablet:
9.3”W x 10.2” H x 0.6” D (23.5 x 26 x 1.5 cm)
Weight:
3.9lb(1.8kg)
Volume:
26 Liters

It will be good asto me it looks like a hiking bag and the interior dimensions is 19.3inch so my tripod legs will fit in nicely OK I wont be able to fitthe head with the legs attached but that can just go into one of the spare apartments in the bag
The other thing I could do is have the legs on the side of the bag wear the water goes and cover it with a rain cover but even that I think people will see that it is a tripod

One day out in the forest to men wear following me and this was for a long time I newthey were going to try and rob me so when I got the chance I went adifferent direction and managed to loose them im 6 foot 3 and havedone a lot of martial arts in my time but what is the point of me being put in this situation
Much worse forsomeone a bit older
I was carrying a bag and tripod in the other hand
OK in some country scounty’s etc. this may not be the case but look at the world we are living in
A friend of mine hasa gfx 100 which cost him £10,000 pounds plus 4 lenses so nearly£17,000 pounds he actually got assaulted but he is a very big guy and was OK
I am sure there will be people who say well just get insured but this doesn’t take away the fear of someone robbing or attacking you

So the closest to what I want is the bag above I wish the manufactures would produce a bag that allows full tripod support internally

Sorry about ramblingon but is just does surprise me

Last edited by andy271; 04-02-2021 at 05:02 AM.
04-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is the same issue with any super tele. I have one of the biggest lowepro bags there is, but I can’t put my FA560 inside it.

You need to consider “custom” altered bags, but I recall at one time the was a bag on the market with an internal tripod area, this was I think in the 1990’s
04-02-2021, 06:56 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think thieves are connoisseurs of camera kit, they just see a bag of stuff they can steal. They don't care what's in it. It won't make any difference to them whether you are toting a cheap piece of ebay junk or Gitzo's finest efforts. I would sooner have the tripod to hand to use as a weapon.
04-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
. . . I would sooner have the tripod to hand to use as a weapon.
insure your equipment instead

trying to resist could lead to big trouble

just my humble opinion

04-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think thieves are connoisseurs of camera kit, they just see a bag of stuff they can steal. They don't care what's in it. It won't make any difference to them whether you are toting a cheap piece of ebay junk or Gitzo's finest efforts. I would sooner have the tripod to hand to use as a weapon.
I have a monopod with a cast iron swivel head. All its lacking is a spike or two. I have a manfrotto with a tripod compartment but it leaves the head of my manfrotto travel tripod visible. It also isn't discrete, unlike my think tank retrospective
04-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
Hi guys I thought I would post this to see how many people would prefer this option
When I we go outwith are cameras and tripods we normally have a camera a couple oflenses and tripod that attaches to the bag or backpack
Why hasn’t any bagcompany’s put a hidden department on the outside of the bag and whydon’t they have a long say 19inch compartment inside the camera bag
The reason I say this is when I have me gear with me I don’t want the bag looking like a camera bag and I also don’t want a tripod sticking out theside of it
I have a bag thathas a tripod compartment at the bottom but its bad on my shoulder
Its the only bag that has a tripod hidden holder this is the bag I have

So the closest to what I want is the bag above I wish the manufactures would produce a bag that allows full tripod support internally

Sorry about ramblingon but is just does surprise me
My thoughts about interior tripod space is that it could make the bags too big, and what size do you make it? There are no standard tripod sizes. Now to counter that first thought, there are a lot of very large bags anyway, and some of them could easily be configured to house a tripod, even though the larger the bag the less convenient they are (IMO). I used to have a Tenba sling bag that could have been configured for a small tripod, but when I was using that bag I did not have a small tripod.

Does your tripod have its own bag that could be attached to the Mindshift? I mean put the tripod bag in the tripod pocket or that other pocket, that they use for hiking poles in the video? I've found the Thinktank and Mindshift products are pretty well thought out with a lot of accessibility features.

You are right, in most cases they don't have any idea of the value, they would just as soon target your Canon Rebel as your 645z.
04-02-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with others above; the problem is any "bag" is the target. JMHO

04-02-2021, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no problems...so far.

My Gitzo tripod bag looks like it contains a high powered sports rifle. No-one bothers with me.
04-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
lmao peter thats a great reply ..this is one of my tripods and the legs are very light

Novoflex TrioBalance Carbon Fibre Kit - Carbon Fibre
04-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andy271 Quote
I can think of several reasons:
a) Tripods get dirty and wet. Putting it inside a backpack will not allow it to dry out and can cause mold.
b) If the tripod feet have spikes, and if they are not retracted, it will damage and create a hole in the backpack.
c) Most travel tripods are small enough to go into a side pocket. If it's larger, you'd have an imbalanced backpack.
d) Most tripods come with a carrying case and generous shoulder straps.
e) No one is going to steal and grab your backpack if it's on your back. They might if you're only using one shoulder strap. But in most cases, there is easier game with unattended bags.
f) Even the largest of camera backpacks use tripod straps on the outside for a reason. You can go against the design and put your tripod in the bag, but again, once you've got sand, salt water, mud, etc, on the tripod, do you want to clean it every time before putting it away?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595946-REG/f_stop_m105_70_00a_sukha_...981&
04-02-2021, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Hi Alex one of my tripods is 16.5 inches even with the feet so wouldfit into the bag with wiggle room as the bad is around 19.5 inches asfar as dirt and mud ect I always clean my tripod I am very ocd and like things to be ordered I also have a got a cover to put the feet in all I have to do in the field is attach my head I have really rite stuff heads and novoflex as well as others when needed
Ive been in-touch with think tank and they are going to look into this. You say no one is going to steel and grab your backpack but I have been threatened with a knife before now
Location of were you live may be different
Its fairly easy to clean tripod after use and then pack away it doesn’t take long each to there own I understand
04-02-2021, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has never happened to me, but if it did I would put my camera on the ground and keep hold of the tripod. My Gitzo head weighs 800 grams and I would swing it with all my might at a would be thief.
04-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Since my tripod, with head, is 27" tall, I would need a rather large bag to carry it plus camera gear. I have a strap on the tripod, so I can carry it on my shoulder, held against my rucksack by my elbow, and ready for instant deployment as a weapon should such be needed. Same with my monopod. In fact, with the monopod, many years ago some unobservant twonk called the police to report I was carrying a gun ! I demonstrated its use to the officers, who left satisfied - but I unaccountably forgot to mention its potential for self defence.
04-04-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
It has never happened to me, but if it did I would put my camera on the ground and keep hold of the tripod. My Gitzo head weighs 800 grams and I would swing it with all my might at a would be thief.
Peter,

May I suggest that, instead of 'swinging' it, which gives your opponent the opportunity to grab it, just grip it below the head and bring the head up smartly beneath the villain's chin. This should knock him (sorry, ladies, but far more likely) backwards, off balance and probably off his feet. It is then up to you - but only one should walk away. Another ruse would be to grasp your tripod in your 'other' hand (left, if you are right-handed) - the WBT will be watching that, so you can bring the heel of your unoccupied hand hard up under his chin, with a similar result, but without the risk of being accused of using a weapon.

Maybe there should be a thread 'Self defence for photographers' !
04-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Peter,

May I suggest that, instead of 'swinging' it, which gives your opponent the opportunity to grab it, just grip it below the head and bring the head up smartly beneath the villain's chin. This should knock him (sorry, ladies, but far more likely) backwards, off balance and probably off his feet. It is then up to you - but only one should walk away. Another ruse would be to grasp your tripod in your 'other' hand (left, if you are right-handed) - the WBT will be watching that, so you can bring the heel of your unoccupied hand hard up under his chin, with a similar result, but without the risk of being accused of using a weapon.

Maybe there should be a thread 'Self defence for photographers' !
Practising the technique as we speak