Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a NEST carbon fiber tripod and like it but they appear to no longer be offered for sale. It is similar in size to the manfrotto 055 (the one I have is smaller) and my aluminum 055 is a good tripod so maybe the carbon one is the ticket.

The largest lens Iíve uses on mine is the DA* 60-250 w/HD DA 1.4x and F 1.7x AFA for moon shots. The ball head needed to be one of my larger one not my travel one. This defeats the purpose a bit in terms of weight and bulk.

04-16-2021, 01:13 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would not hesitate to offer my set up that I use on a daily basis... a Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS used together with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp, forming a rock solid platform that's a joy to use.

You didn't mention a max weight or a budget, so I'm not sure if mine suggestion qualifies, but I included the links here for further info.

Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
04-16-2021, 03:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I would not hesitate to offer my set up that I use on a daily basis... a Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS used together with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp, forming a rock solid platform that's a joy to use.

You didn't mention a max weight or a budget, so I'm not sure if mine suggestion qualifies, but I included the links here for further info.

Gitzo Series 5 Systematic XL GT5543XLS reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro with B2 Pro II Clamp reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thank you for the recommendation here.. I will definitely have a close look at both the tripod and ball head.
Al

---------- Post added 04-16-21 at 03:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have a NEST carbon fiber tripod and like it but they appear to no longer be offered for sale. It is similar in size to the manfrotto 055 (the one I have is smaller) and my aluminum 055 is a good tripod so maybe the carbon one is the ticket.

The largest lens Iíve uses on mine is the DA* 60-250 w/HD DA 1.4x and F 1.7x AFA for moon shots. The ball head needed to be one of my larger one not my travel one. This defeats the purpose a bit in terms of weight and bulk.
Thank you.. shame its not availible anymore.But who knows maybe I will see a used one in my search.
Thanks,

---------- Post added 04-16-21 at 03:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

Thank you.. shame its not availible anymore.But who knows maybe I will see a used one in my search.
Thanks,
04-16-2021, 05:11 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I am just looking to lighten the load and maybe get something as a tripod that is very portable yet usable with a long lens like the dfa 150-450.I have always wanted a good light weight tripod and now I have the justification for the purchase .
Given your more detailed explanations, my previous recommendation holds. There are currently only a few tripods on the market offering true lightweight options as well as good stability. There's 1-2 from Gitzo, which will set you back almost a grand, there's the Peak Design one, which has the added advantage of a head that's easier to operate (good with your damaged hand), it's less expensive, more compact (longer than some but narrower than all). Some options which I like, for instance the Sirui, are not stable enough for the 150-450.

There is currently no option that I know off from Manfrotto or Vanguard with the type of balance between stability and lightness that you're looking for. Again these are good brands but they don'T have the product you wish for as far as I can tell.

The Peak Design has levers, that seems important for you.

04-16-2021, 05:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Given your more detailed explanations, my previous recommendation holds. There are currently only a few tripods on the market offering true lightweight options as well as good stability. There's 1-2 from Gitzo, which will set you back almost a grand, there's the Peak Design one, which has the added advantage of a head that's easier to operate (good with your damaged hand), it's less expensive, more compact (longer than some but narrower than all). Some options which I like, for instance the Sirui, are not stable enough for the 150-450.

There is currently no option that I know off from Manfrotto or Vanguard with the type of balance between stability and lightness that you're looking for. Again these are good brands but they don'T have the product you wish for as far as I can tell.

The Peak Design has levers, that seems important for you.
It does sound like a viable option. I will have a closer look there too. Thanks for the follow up post and suggestion.

AL
04-16-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
HI all,
Im in need of a light weight but heavy duty tripod and ball head for nature photography. I have several heavy duty ones but they are also heavy...I tend not to use them much except for my bigger lens. The lens I will be using on this new one is the DFA 150-450 with the new k3 mark 3/k-1. My problem is I had a little accident this past week and crushed my right hand..specifically the tendons in my ring finger...luckily no breaks but still in a splint for the next 6-8 weeks as they are really mashed. It makes hand holding the camera very difficult.impossible for heavier gear...so tripods are my new best friend. If I have to lug one around for my birding and nature shots Id like it to be as light as possible but of course appropriate for the weight of the gear.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
AL
I've been using Feisol tripods for years. Their cost to price ratio is excellent. For my long lenses, I'm using an old Zone VI tripod and Wimberley gimbal, but my big Feisol and ball head would be perfectly adequate under my 600.
04-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fotopro E6 package.

While it isnt a ball head (is gimbal head), will still serve you well.
04-16-2021, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using a Feisol CT3342. 2.5lbs without head or center column. Tripod is eye height without center column. The large 28mm diameter legs are strong. Been using it with Pentax 645Z and 400mm.

Thanks,
barondla

04-16-2021, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fiesol, the little guy on the block... carbon fiber cheaper than the big names using fat advertising budgets.
04-17-2021, 03:02 PM   #25
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best light weight and stable tripods I found are the Rollei carbon fibre ones. (Rollei.com) Much better than the Manfrotto tripods I have.