Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

3rd party K-S2 Batteries

I am looking at third party batteries for my K-S2 (official P/N D-LI109) as the last pair I bought have been substandard and really don't keep much charge. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a make that has a good price for the charge/performance?

04-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Watson brand at B&H have served me well...
04-20-2021, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cheap 3rd party brands - its pot luck pretty much all of them use cheap chinese cells, quality unknown. But - they are cheap!

FYI:

Batteries and Chargers - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Wasabi battery pack rebuild - PentaxForums.com
04-20-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I find it tough to tell the difference between OM and the "DSTE" or "Kastar" brands I have bought via eBay and Amazon.
Of course none of my OM batteries were NIB, neither were my cameras.

04-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to @marcusBMG for linking to my current battery rebuilding/testing thread!

I have recently done quite a bit of internet research into this. Wasabi packs test terribly and seem to be prone to damage, bulging, short lifespan, and they use no-name internal battery cells of questionable quality. Watson packs have tested better, and teardown videos of Watson packs show that they use name-brand internal cells. These trends are not specific to the replacement packs for the K-S2, but in general for these 3rd party brands of battery packs. At this point, I trust the Watson brand much more.
04-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #6

I got myself a couple of ansmann D-LI109 and iam quite happy with them.

edit: I did no comparison test or anything but I can tell no difference to my pentax ones
04-20-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have found NO decent 3rd party batteries. They really are a scam trade.

04-20-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I have found NO decent 3rd party batteries. They really are a scam trade.
Really? Which ones did you evaluate? What was your method? Can you honestly, confidently make such a general statement?

- Jon
04-21-2021, 05:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Watson, Wasabi, Neewer have all served me well for many years. I have a Watson battery that's the same age as my K-3 (and my daughter) and I can't tell it apart from the OEM.
04-21-2021, 06:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
Really? Which ones did you evaluate? What was your method? Can you honestly, confidently make such a general statement?

- Jon
Watson and Wasabi. Maybe I'm just having bad luck.
04-21-2021, 07:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the price difference, you might be fair and give DSTE and Kastar a try/chance; they both work well for me.
I have at least 6-8 either Li90 or Li109 sizes, and cannot tell the difference compared with my used Pentax OEM batteries.
04-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #12

In 2012 I purchased my K-5 with Pentax battery and an extra 3rd party Flashpoint battery from Adorama. The 3rd party battery worked very well for 3 years then capacity noticeably dropped. I then replaced it with a Pentax battery. Today I am still using the 8 and 5 year old Pentax batteries. One of these Pentax batteries still lasts me for a day of shooting.

For me I keep my equipment for a long time so having a battery that last more than 3 years is worth the extra price.
04-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a fair bit on empirical and anecdotal evidence (if you consider anecdotes to be evidence) that the Watson packs are superior to the Wasabi packs. The Wasabi packs, likely being the most common, have the most written about them. The Watson packs seem to be a house brand of B&H, and B&H has a very good reputation. I am rebuilding some old Wasabi packs and testing one new one in the D-LI90 equivalent size. I have some used Watson packs on the way for testing in the D-LI109 equivalent size. Ultimately though, true quality can only be determined with real scientific testing, including multiple samples, controlled conditions, etc
04-21-2021, 08:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
There's a fair bit on empirical and anecdotal evidence (if you consider anecdotes to be evidence) that the Watson packs are superior to the Wasabi packs. The Wasabi packs, likely being the most common, have the most written about them. The Watson packs seem to be a house brand of B&H, and B&H has a very good reputation. I am rebuilding some old Wasabi packs and testing one new one in the D-LI90 equivalent size. I have some used Watson packs on the way for testing in the D-LI109 equivalent size. Ultimately though, true quality can only be determined with real scientific testing, including multiple samples, controlled conditions, etc
Not to mention that the testing is only valid for those samples at that time. Suppliers will change the brand/source of internal cells in their "batteries" without notice- whether due to supply of components or their cost to the assembler for 1000's.
And do "it" without notice to anyone.
04-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Not to mention that the testing is only valid for those samples at that time. Suppliers will change the brand/source of internal cells in their "batteries" without notice- whether due to supply of components or their cost to the assembler for 1000's.
And do "it" without notice to anyone.
Yes, very true! One of the knocks against Wasabi, and I am reluctant to say this before I test the new pack I received for testing, is that it seems the mAh capacity stated on their D-LI90 clone is obviously false. It has remained uncorrected for ages, despite numerous tests published here and elsewhere on the internet, and I think that says a lot about the concern that company has for the quality of their product and the level of respect they have for the consumer of their product.