Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Yes, for sure, MAH ratings are a joke.
I have searched for "good" AA cells, the best ones are near 20g each, the "worst" 9g; all with optimistic ratings.

Some of the sellers even give the weight per cell in their offer, it makes it pretty easy to choose the "heavy" AA s. Just double check the weight when they arrive, I have sent one batch back as they were clearly under the weight claimed.

I find the Tenergy blue AA cells to be correct and reliable.

04-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
Yes, for sure, MAH ratings are a joke.
I have searched for "good" AA cells, the best ones are near 20g each, the "worst" 9g; all with optimistic ratings.

Some of the sellers even give the weight per cell in their offer, it makes it pretty easy to choose the "heavy" AA s. Just double check the weight when they arrive, I have sent one batch back as they were clearly under the weight claimed.

I find the Tenergy blue AA cells to be correct and reliable.
Good point on using the weight to gauge cell capacity, though I suppose it would be easy for a dishonest maker to pad the weight somehow, especially for lithium that by it's nature isn't very physically dense (heavy).

Out of curiosity, I just weighed 3 cells removed from Wasabi D-LI90 clone battery packs and three Panasonic NCR18500A cells as Pentax uses in the D-LI90 pack on my precision jeweler's scale. Though the Wasabi pack is labeled to have a higher mAh capacity than the Pentax pack, their cells weigh almost 2 grams less on average.
04-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bad Boy Quote
In 2012 I purchased my K-5 with Pentax battery and an extra 3rd party Flashpoint battery from Adorama. The 3rd party battery worked very well for 3 years then capacity noticeably dropped. I then replaced it with a Pentax battery. Today I am still using the 8 and 5 year old Pentax batteries. One of these Pentax batteries still lasts me for a day of shooting.

For me I keep my equipment for a long time so having a battery that last more than 3 years is worth the extra price.
I second that.
I still use the battery's i got with my K7 around 2010 with my K1. Just this week i did visit a bird watching spot. This 11 year old battery was good for some 1100 RAW pictures with my K1 and D-FA 150-450.

Bottom line, how much money are thinking to spare by buying a non-Pentax battery.
The original D-LI190 is just below 60 dollar
https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/rechargeable-li-ion-battery-d-li109/

A non-Pentax D-LI190 is maybe something like 25 dollar.
https://www.adorama.com/jucpe0012.html

So lets pretend the original will only last 10 years (it is much longer, but go with me for now), than you save some 3.50 dollar a year, that is, -if- the non-Pentax D-LI190 also will last 10 years (or won't blow up inside you're camera)

So really, this entire discussion is absolutely a non-issue. Just save you're self the trouble, and stick to the original.

Last edited by Sakura; 04-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.
04-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I second that.
I still use the battery's i got with my K7 around 2010 with my K1. Just this week i did visit a bird watching spot. This 11 year old battery was good for some 1100 RAW pictures with my K1 and D-FA 150-450.

Bottom line, how much money are thinking to spare by buying a non-Pentax battery.
The original D-LI190 is just below 60 dollar
Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery D-LI109 - Ricoh

A non-Pentax D-LI190 is maybe something like 25 dollar.
https://www.adorama.com/jucpe0012.html?

So lets pretend the original will only last 10 years (it is much longer, but go with me for now), than you save some 3.50 dollar a year, that is, -if- the non-Pentax D-LI190 also will last 10 years (or won't blow up inside you're camera)

So really, this entire discussion is absolutely a non-issue. Just save you're self the trouble, and stick to the original.
Well, the Kastar Li 109 is $9.99 delivered in the US, less if you buy more than one.
I really don't expect a battery to last 10 years, it is quite likely I will lose it during that time span.

04-21-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #20

Additional factors for choosing to buy higher quality Pentax OEM over 3rd party batteries. This will depend on the values of the buyer. Cost verse length of service is only one factor. The long term cost between the choices is not very much. Buying Pentax will send many less batteries to the landfill. This may or may not matter to all the same way but maybe we should factor environment and resources more with our purchase decisions. Another factor to consider is that supporting a repeatable company like Pentax will provide them with more resources to create better products and stay in business. I much prefer rewarding high quality manufacturers that wisely use resources and demonstrate higher respect for their customers. Thirdly I wish to avoid the frustration of dealing with lower quality products when they prematurely reach their end life.
04-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bad Boy Quote
Additional factors for choosing to buy higher quality Pentax OEM over 3rd party batteries. This will depend on the values of the buyer. Cost verse length of service is only one factor. The long term cost between the choices is not very much. Buying Pentax will send many less batteries to the landfill. This may or may not matter to all the same way but maybe we should factor environment and resources more with our purchase decisions. Another factor to consider is that supporting a repeatable company like Pentax will provide them with more resources to create better products and stay in business. I much prefer rewarding high quality manufacturers that wisely use resources and demonstrate higher respect for their customers. Thirdly I wish to avoid the frustration of dealing with lower quality products when they prematurely reach their end life.
I couldn't agree more
04-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it convenient to have 4 spare batteries or 6; not just one.

I support Pentax by buying used cameras so that users who want to upgrade can sell their gear and do so !

04-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it convenient to have 4 spare batteries or 6; not just one.

I support Pentax by buying used cameras so that users who want to upgrade can sell their gear and do so !
If you would buy originals, you wouldn't need 4 or 6
04-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
If you would buy originals, you wouldn't need 4 or 6
Well, that would depend on how long it takes the battery to discharge.
I have many OEM Pentax batteries that do not last any longer than my aftermarket batteries.
Your observations have little to do with the way I use my gear and how many charged batteries I might want to take on a trip; or how many different cameras for that matter.

If you are happy with $50 OEM batteries, great!
Just don't decide for me that I should change to your way of thinking - because I have a different philosophy as to battery life, and the number of back up batteries I need or want to have.
04-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that would depend on how long it takes the battery to discharge.
I have many OEM Pentax batteries that do not last any longer than my aftermarket batteries.
Your observations have little to do with the way I use my gear and how many charged batteries I might want to take on a trip; or how many different cameras for that matter.

If you are happy with $50 OEM batteries, great!
Just don't decide for me that I should change to your way of thinking - because I have a different philosophy as to battery life, and the number of back up batteries I need or want to have.
I totally, 100% agree with this. There are all kinds of reasons one might want/need multiple backup batteries. Having to pay $50 to $60 USD each to build up a stable of reliable batteries is just unacceptable to me. I am optimistic that the Watson brand replacement batteries for the K-S2 will test well. I will publish my results on Pentax Forums.

For the OP, @WondringLisa, or anyone, if you want to get some data on 3rd party batteries, and are willing to have a new one sent directly to me, I will test it for you and send it along to you if you only reimburse me for the cost of shipping - that is, if you trust me. My current testing protocol can be seen here: Wasabi battery pack rebuild - PentaxForums.com
04-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the last two years I've supplemented my OEM batteries for a KP and K-S2 with DSTE brand. They've held up fine so far. You can get 2 for $15 on Amazon.
06-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just got my new batteries through (Newmowa D-Li109 Replacement Battery and Dual USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics). They work, however when I put one of them into the camera all the settings reset on me. How much of a problem is this (is it something that will cause a problem down the line)? Is this a sign that I should send them back, or will I be ok?
06-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
I just got my new batteries through (Newmowa D-Li109 Replacement Battery and Dual USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics). They work, however when I put one of them into the camera all the settings reset on me. How much of a problem is this (is it something that will cause a problem down the line)? Is this a sign that I should send them back, or will I be ok?
A battery change should not reset "all" settings; you said "one"- does that mean the other battery did not cause a loss? which settings changed ?
I've used several generic brands and not see this with the Li109 (nor the Li 50 or 90 for other models)
06-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
It was a camera wide settings wipe. Only happened once, but not since. Both batteries are acting normal now. it's weird. The new batteries are the same voltage, but higher mAh/Wh, I figured this was capacity and how long it would last. They are listed as being K-S2 compatible, so should be fine with my camera.

07-21-2021, 09:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm happy with 2 additional Ansmann batteries for my K-S2. I just cycle through those two and the original one and I've not noticed that the third party batteries are considerably worse, so that's fine with me.

I did however invest into one additional original battery for my used K-1. Considering that I am eyeing a K-3 III when the price comes down a bit and for when I might need more than 2 batteries, I just bought two third party batteries for two thirds the price of one original one. For that extra bit of backup I don't think I can go wrong with those.