Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
You might be interested in this discussion concerning counterfeit batteries:

Ricoh warns users about counterfeit batteries (D-LI78, D-LI92) - PentaxForums.com

One of the D-LI109 samples was marked 'Hoya' and carried the typo "Corportion".

- Craig
Thanks. This is exactly what I bought. They're fake. They work though. I guess I'll pass them off to my nephew who is using my old K5-II as a learner camera. If they overheat or explode he can deal with it.

---------- Post added 04-22-21 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Coming from China I am not 100% sure they will be OEM. Where did you buy them from? I have had good luck with Wasabi batteries but I try to stick to Pentax ones.
I just did an Ebay search for Pentax batteries and saw some for around S19.99 from China.

ycls-62 is the seller.

I bought some 3rd party batteries years ago. 2014-15ish for my k5-II and they lasted until maybe 2016 before they stopped charging. 2 years max. They had a blue and white label but I don't remember the brand name.

04-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been buying third party Cameron batteries from BatteryCanada.com. In the last while, the price of Cameron batteries has gone up 30% while the price of OEM batteries from TheCameraStore.com have come down significantly.
Unless this changes drastically, I'm done with third party batteries.
04-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote

I just did an Ebay search for Pentax batteries and saw some for around S19.99 from China.

ycls-62 is the seller.

I bought some 3rd party batteries years ago. 2014-15ish for my k5-II and they lasted until maybe 2016 before they stopped charging. 2 years max. They had a blue and white label but I don't remember the brand name.
This is exactly one of the sources I would stay away from. If I want Pentax batteries, I would go to B&H or one of the more well known suppliers (US since you show as being in Kentucky), and stay away from "foreign" ones like this on eBay. They might be ok, but there's a considerably higher probability that the goods are questionable. ycls-62 doesn't tell you anything about the seller and unless they guarantee new, original packaged items, anything might turn up (and even with a guarantee sometimes). Do yourself a favor and buy from a trusted source.
04-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

i have an example at home, 1."original" hoya corportion battery from ebay from china but it only has 60% capacity after 2 years of use and price approx. $ 15 when i bought it new on ebay 2 years ago, and 2. ricoh imaging company from the package with K1 -ORIGINAL and price approx. $ 75 at an authorized distributor-it works like when it was brand new, both are charged on the original d-bc90 battery charger:

Last edited by mbukal; 04-23-2021 at 11:50 AM.
04-24-2021, 07:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In my experience the Pentax/ Ricoh original batteries have a longer life. All that I got with my cameras over the years still work. Some of the cheap alternate brands quickly lose charge after several recharge cycles. So if will definitely buy original if I have to replace.
04-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #21

Original Poster
That chinese knock off battery is already showing only 2 bars on my K3 after turning the camera on for just a minute or two. Definitely getting passed on to my nephew for him to deal with or throw away.
04-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #22

If you purchased them from an authorized Ricoh dealer they are probably the real thing. Otherwise it's "You pay your money, you take your chances".

Sometimes the gray market items are genuine manufactured but didn't pass quality control and went out the backdoor to unscrupulous sellers.