Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2021, 01:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Batteriers and Chargers from China

I've purchased a few Pentax batteries and Pentax chargers from China and I am currently testing them out. I always hear about Chinese knockoffs and counterfeit items. I can't tell any difference in these. Everything seems to work. Aside from taking about 30 days to arrive versus getting something from New York in 2 or 3 days.

Anyone have any experience with Chinese purchased Pentax products?

04-22-2021, 01:48 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Only use OEM chargers myself

I have had some okay experience with DSTE batteries, got 2 for my K10D and 2 for Fujifilm - they seem to have decent reviews on Amazon, not that Amazon reviews are worth much these days

They claim higher capacity than OEM but certainly dont in real life. Dont get unduly warm in use or on charge

Last edited by LittleSkink; 04-22-2021 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typos
04-22-2021, 02:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
These are actual Pentax branded batteries and chargers I've purchased.
04-22-2021, 02:03 AM   #4

sorry, misunderstood. FWIW my OEM charger says Made in China

04-22-2021, 02:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are they real ones or knock offs? It can be hard work at times determining "quality" etc.... which one could just assume with past quality brands. I was in China a long time ago when my wife asked me to get her some shoes and jeans.... very stressfull...... many phone calls back home as I became an expert on womens jeans etc.... think stitching, cut, measuring everthing etc etc.

Now to lithium batteries.... what could possibly go wrong there.... haha!

Anyway.... I now assume junk in the 1st instance.... and seek to build from there.

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-22-2021 at 02:43 AM.
04-22-2021, 04:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One thing i find even when using older Pentax batteries or knock offs in my K1 is that I can’t up load new software even when the battery is fully charged.

I need to specifically use the one battery that came wi my K1 to upload new software.
04-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coming from China I am not 100% sure they will be OEM. Where did you buy them from? I have had good luck with Wasabi batteries but I try to stick to Pentax ones.

04-22-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by idontstairs Quote
Anyone have any experience with Chinese purchased Pentax products?
You might be interested in this discussion concerning counterfeit batteries:

Ricoh warns users about counterfeit batteries (D-LI78, D-LI92) - PentaxForums.com

One of the D-LI109 samples was marked 'Hoya' and carried the typo "Corportion".

- Craig
04-22-2021, 05:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guess is that if they are significantly cheaper they are probably not true OEM stuff. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't work OK -- they might still be fine batteries, I just have a feeling someone is doing a knock off version of the Pentax batteries.
04-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #10
sbc

I have bought and tested many of these 3rd party batteries and also fake ones. Not a single one measures up to the capacity and lifespan of the original. The best I got was 1380mAh and usually they last only a few dozens cycles. The real problem is that these cheap batteries have high internal resistance. The voltage drops badly under heavy current draw.
Every one of the 'Pentax' battery I bought online from China was fake. I want to buy one from B&H but it is unable to ship Li-ion battery to my country.
I use a CBA IV to test every battery I have.
04-22-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a wasabi as a secondary for my K-70 and I am really satisfied with it. Lasts for days before charging is needed. It was at a third of the originalís price, really good reviews, so itís a no-brainer tbh.
04-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only batteries I've used other than Pentax are Watson, and they seem to perform as good as Pentax. My Pentax batteries are labeled "made in China" and they aren't counterfeit. I believe my chargers are labeled the same. You have to "go under the hood", so to speak to determine if a battery is not ligit. Just the fact that they are made in China, is not necessarily an indicator (though most of the counterfeit batteries do come from China). I always buy through a reputable dealer and not from ebay or the like since a lot of counterfeit products find their way into those channels (and sometimes they advertise as a ligit brand and when you get the item, it is another brand).

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-22-2021 at 08:46 AM.
04-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd bet that 90%+ of the cells inside the batter pack are made in China or Korea; no matter if OEM, aftermarket branded, or phony labeling.
A battery cannot really be "fake" if it is a battery and supplies current; though for sure it can be a "counterfeit". JMHO.
04-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used the Wasabi batteries and tell any difference from the OEMs.
04-22-2021, 06:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
The real problem is that these cheap batteries have high internal resistance. The voltage drops badly under heavy current draw.
This is *exactly* what I discovered in testing a brand new D-LI90 clone battery pack from Wasabi Power today.