Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #1

Does a DFA 150-450 fit in a Pelican 1510 or 1535 along the short axis with trekpack?

I'm looking at buying a hard case carry on for air travel and to have something a bit more secure to leave lenses in the car when hiking. Looking at the two primary options (the 1510 and 1535) I was wondering if the 150-450 fits along the short axis in either case. By my measurement it is VERY close with the Trekpack foam inserts and I was hoping someone here would know or could try it as finding a case locally to try is proving to be obnoxious.

Any other insights into pelican cases would be appreciated. I would probably be traveling with some combination of the 150-450, 15-30, some primes, and/or a DJI mini 2 drone.

Thanks in advance.

04-25-2021, 06:27 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a smaller Pelican case,(I’m 2200) with pick and pluck foam, so I can’t give you exact information but maybe it can help a bit. That.is a KP, DA 1.4 converter, and DA*300 lens with hood reversed. The case has a 15 inch measurement that way. That is a filter case that is 1/2 inch wide, the width of the pluck sections, so you can kind of figure it out. B & H says the Trekpack dividers are 3/4 inch. I guess another option could be get the foam and pluck out enough to put a full camera bag inside, but that would not offer the same protection. I’m very impressed with the Pelican case, I think I could drop that case from 20 feet on concrete and it would protect the gear, but I’m not going to test that! I got mine to travel by boat, but I may use it for air travel some day.

Name:  8BEEF728-F7D0-48EC-AD14-4144BABB67B3.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  203.6 KB
04-25-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Measure the lens and check here for sizes:

Pelican Case Sizes| Pelican Case Size Guide with Dimensions
04-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Measure the lens and check here for sizes:

Pelican Case Sizes| Pelican Case Size Guide with Dimensions
Oh I have. It’s ridiculously close which is why I’m asking. 1535 is spec’d at 11.2 inches interior with 14/16ths in trekpack foam (both sides) I’ve got about 10.4 inches of room and the lens measures almost exactly that.

As a backup I’m thinking about renting one for $30 just to check but figured I’d ask here first.

---------- Post added 04-25-2021 at 01:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a smaller Pelican case,(I’m 2200) with pick and pluck foam, so I can’t give you exact information but maybe it can help a bit. That.is a KP, DA 1.4 converter, and DA*300 lens with hood reversed. The case has a 15 inch measurement that way. That is a filter case that is 1/2 inch wide, the width of the pluck sections, so you can kind of figure it out. B & H says the Trekpack dividers are 3/4 inch. I guess another option could be get the foam and pluck out enough to put a full camera bag inside, but that would not offer the same protection. I’m very impressed with the Pelican case, I think I could drop that case from 20 feet on concrete and it would protect the gear, but I’m not going to test that! I got mine to travel by boat, but I may use it for air travel some day.

Attachment 532159
Thank you! Good to get some confirmation on pelican quality and usefulness :-)

04-26-2021, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

The thing with pelican cases is that how protective they are from drops is only a function of how much extra room they have... if you squeeze a lens into a pelican case and it only fits by the skin of its teeth, when you drop the case your lens is just going to hit the case wall hard, which is no better than just hitting the ground itself hard. All that to say that if it’s as close as you say, you probably want to go up a size if you can. I usually try to have at least a full row (0.75 inches) of the pluck foam on each side of the lens uncompressed
04-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
The thing with pelican cases is that how protective they are from drops is only a function of how much extra room they have... if you squeeze a lens into a pelican case and it only fits by the skin of its teeth, when you drop the case your lens is just going to hit the case wall hard, which is no better than just hitting the ground itself hard. All that to say that if it’s as close as you say, you probably want to go up a size if you can. I usually try to have at least a full row (0.75 inches) of the pluck foam on each side of the lens uncompressed
So I’ve had this thought but with trekpack I’m only going to have the amount of foam that trekpack is designed with around the perimeter. I’m not going to have more foam if I place it the other way. The only issue I could see is if the entire case flexes and I should be able to mitigate that by placing the lens near a strong point like the shackle mounts.