Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Memory Card?

Which brand of memory cards does everyone like? I have been using either the Lexar Pro 133X or the SanDisk Ultra III most of the time. I got a Transcend 8GB free with a purchase from Amazon and it seems to work OK and it's a lot cheaper than the others. Anyone use these cards on a regular basis? Don't want to give up quality for cost.

Last edited by SA Photo; 11-25-2008 at 07:10 PM.
11-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't used the Transcend SD card, but have used their USB memory sticks for some time with no problems if thats any testimony.

As for SD cards, I'm sticking with SanDisk. My kids have used Lexar and had a few read issues on occasion, whilst my SanDisks (back to my old CF card) have behaved impeccably
11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have used several SanDisk Ultra II, Lexar Platinum 60x, Kingston Class 6 SDHC and most lately, Transcend Class 6 SDHC without incident. I rarely machine-gun it, so any additional speed would not be a benefit.
11-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
These days the memory cards are the cheap bit when compared the price of the rest of your kit, like film used to be back in the old days.

My images are valuable to me so I always buy what I believe to be the best, so far that's been Sandisk Extreme III products.

11-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the past year, I have used nothing but transcend cards with no problems. I have two cameras, a phone and a camcorder that all use SDHC cards. I currently have 3 of their 16GB and 2 of the 8GB cards.
11-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi HH,

I've used 2 Transcend 4 GB SDHC Class 6 cards since March in my K20, and have previously used AData, PQI, and Ridata cards for years in other cameras, all without problems.

I recently tried one of the smaller 133x cards in the K20, and was surprised to see that the write times to the card were significantly faster. I did a little research, and the information's a little sketchy, but it seems that the Sandisk Black Label Extreme III 4 GB Class 6 cards are the fastest of the available brand names, and according to my very seat-of-the-pants tests, they write better than twice as fast as the Transcends that I had been using.

This doesn't seem to be important to the bulk of shooters, but I shoot birds mainly, and because of the difficult lighting conditions that they seem to prefer, I need to chimp the first couple of shots to make sure that I'm compensating my exposures correctly. Numerous times, I've been a bit frustrated by having to wait for what seems like forever to be able to chimp a shot so I can continue shooting. Hopefully the Extreme IIIs will help a bit with this next season.

Of course, if they're faster writing, they're probably faster reading, so there will also be a benefit transferring files to the computer also.

Scott
11-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have three Transcend cards. 2 are 2 gb SD,. and one is the 8gb SDHC, One of the 2gb cards is somewhat faulty, in that sometimes i get a "memory card error" when i try to use it in either one of my cameras, the other 2 have performed great for me. I also have 5 OCZ 2gb cards, and have had no problems with any of them..

11-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I stick to SanDisk and Lexar for 2 main reasons, speed and reliability.