Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2008, 07:43 AM   #1

Help/Suggestions for Lighting kit

One thing I've never really done much of is the use of artificial lighting in photography, other than incidental lighting in some indoor shots. I would really like to get something that would be portable for taking anywhere practical, in the woods, homes, etc.

First thing that comes to mind are strobes since I will not always be in places with AC mains. So, in that regard, all I have is the on-camera flash on the K20D and a shoe mount Nikon SB-16.

I hear a lot of folks talking about remote control flash. I do know what a slave unit is, but beyond that I am totally ignorant on this subject.

I would really appreciate it if any of you lighting experts could send me in the right direction on some minimal (to start with) strobe equipment, reflectors, diffusers, slave units, or whatever it takes for a fairly decent setup to use in most settings. I primarily want to use this for portraits, and casual people type photography.

Does anyone make a "starter type kit"? Any help on this will be most helpful.

Good books you can suggest on strobe lighting would be great too!

Thanks!

Morg

11-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Morg,

I got most of my lighting setup from MPEX thanks to recommendations/links on Strobist. Their prices are pretty good and they do have some kits "designed" for Stobist newbies: MPEX Strobist Kits.

(I'm not a big fan of the eBay/Cactus remote triggers for use in situations when you need good reliability, but they're fine for knocking around and learning.)

As for reading material, I'd recommend starting out here: Strobist: Lighting 101, and then continuing on with Lighting 102 to learn the ropes. I've also heard really good things about the book Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting and it is on my shopping list for December.
11-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Jim! This will help me a lot.

Morg
11-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Totally welcome. By the by, I should have pre-qualified my reply stating I am not a "lighting expert"; merely an aspiring noob that six months ago literally hated flash photography until I finally saw the light*.

* (sorry, I just had to got there)

11-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There are all sorts of options out there. Personally, I use old Pentax flashes (AF200T and AF280T), Flash Waves radio triggers, a 2 meter light stand, and a 45 inch dual purpose umbrella, with a lightweight tripod sometimes joining the mix.

The great thing about it is how extremely portable it all is. I ball-bungee the umbrella to the outside of the light stand case, which slings diagonally across my back. The flashes and triggers go into a cheapo fanny pack I bought for 10 bucks. Lightweight and I still have both hands free.