Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 05:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

EVF for DSLRs?

Hi,
has anyone experience with such a product?
LEYE 4K HDMI ELECTRONIC VIEWFINDER 2.4inch LCD MONITOR
Could it be attached to the hotshoe of e.g. a K-3III and make a EVF system camera?
What disadvantages, beside of bulkiness and price for additional item, can be expected?

Thanks for any thoughts!

05-05-2021, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's useless junk. Live view on the rear screen would work about as well.
Get yourself at least a 7-inch HDMI monitor if you're going to bother. There are several makes including Marshall that make lightweight panels specifically for this.
05-05-2021, 05:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
That's useless junk. Live view on the rear screen would work about as well.
Get yourself at least a 7-inch HDMI monitor if you're going to bother. There are several makes including Marshall that make lightweight panels specifically for this.
Okay, thank you for your input. I expected that, unfortunately, thanks for the tips!
05-05-2021, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Okay, thank you for your input. I expected that, unfortunately, thanks for the tips!
Sorry... forgive me ... I'm a bit grumpy this morning.

I probably should have asked what you had in mind for it?
For me, I do a lot of product shots, and having an external monitor helps with details. The challenge with small displays is that the pixels aren't large enough to tell if you have an issue.

05-05-2021, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first thought that is that maybe it could be useful for horizontal copy work, maybe even vertical, if you can extend it somehow other than the hotshoe so that it minimizes bending over to focus. But that wouldn't be a disadvantage, which is what you asked about.
05-05-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that's going to be pointless for a DSLR. The only use case I could see with an external monitor in general would be something like the K3's without a tilt/flip screen for better off-axis shooting (for lack of a better term), but even then I would want it to be a larger monitor that you can independently adjust the positioning and view from a distance instead of through an eye piece.
05-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Sorry... forgive me ... I'm a bit grumpy this morning.

I probably should have asked what you had in mind for it?
For me, I do a lot of product shots, and having an external monitor helps with details. The challenge with small displays is that the pixels aren't large enough to tell if you have an issue.
No problem, my answer wasn't sarcastic, really appreciate your opinion.

One thought was that a DSLR basically also offers most possibilities of a mirrorless, in LV. And for second, I stumbled upon that item without having been searching for an actual solution for a real problem.

I'm into cultural heritage documentation and often use my camera away from the eye, on tripods pointing straigt up, on poles or even kites. For most things the KP does it quite well, for the kite a GRII is the perfect tool.
However, the K-3III has some advantages and I was curious if the fixed screen (unfortunately for me this would be a drawback) could be overcome by such an HDMI EV. Even if it is an external device the whole package could still be held fairly compact. A larger monitor has it's value, but I would miss the handheldability.
Though, thanks for all your opinions.

05-05-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Hi,
Could it be attached to the hotshoe of e.g. a K-3III and make a EVF system camera?
What disadvantages, beside of bulkiness and price for additional item, can be expected?

Thanks for any thoughts!
I found Portkeys warning that might give support to ProfessorBuzz's description of the quality of the item: "This item is noncancelable and nonreturnable".
05-05-2021, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Another free possibility is to use a smartphone with Image Sync application. It can command a K3-III, a KP, a K-70, a K-S2, a K1 or a K1-II. You will get live view from your phone at wifi range and you can even focus on a part of the image with your phone touchscreen on any of those cameras.
05-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Another free possibility is to use a smartphone with Image Sync application. It can command a K3-III, a KP, a K-70, a K-S2, a K1 or a K1-II. You will get live view from your phone at wifi range and you can even focus on a part of the image with your phone touchscreen on any of those cameras.
Right, I do make use of that now occasionally. In the field on a very sunny day there are restrictions concerning the visibility, however, the phones are quite good in comparison to anything some years ago.

I assume such EVs are primarily targeted at videographers, which would not be my interest at all. Just investigating the market for more possibilities for off-eye camera use and how good suitable hardware might be now, or how bad.
05-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You could use a smartphone with the Image Sync app.
05-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s a waste of money.
05-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

First thing what comes in to my mind is that why it is that cheap. I believe that Z cam EVF would be, no only twice the price, but twice better. Sometimes you end up with cheaper solution at first and then give up or buy that better solution. I think that you will be looking this mainly video in your mind? Good thing would be that you'll get solution for bright daylight and possibly for some other things too.

Other than that. it could be nice if external screen is out of question and it will be more of bulk too.
05-05-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi,

Thanks for any thoughts!
I already have one the same size on the back of the camera.

Steve
05-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe to turn your DSLR into a hand held video camera. Since I find live view only useful on a tripod (and very useful there) I cannot use it for video, which I have hardly ever done anyway. But I could probably find a dedicated video cam for that price.