Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 01:49 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am currently evaluating three Watson's with my K-3. They seem to be up to the task so-far.
Watson's are built similar to all other clone D LI90's and D-LI109's:
Instead of the temperature-sensor the 10k cheat resistor.

The main problem to all those clone-battery manufacturers:
They use cells they get cheapest at the moment except possibly Wasabi because the manufacturer of those is in China and is at the moment one of the largest cell manufacturers there. So they have possibly access to selected cells. And yet Wasabi's cheat as well with this resistor and their chargers are quickchargers letting the cells age much quicker.

I have similar experience as the TO with now pretty old OEM batteries:
I have a very early D-LI90 "made in Japan" still working great. No date, came with K-7

Another one says: Cells made in Japan, pack assembled in China. No date either, came with K5IIs sold in UK*

*In UK it was said that they would supply the K5IIs with special selected D-LI90's.

I was on visit in UK then and bought my K5IIs there with 2 of those batteries.
Possibly my most used batteries and they still work o.k. but not quite up to when new.

But most impressed I am with the original made in Japan D-LI50's.
I still have 2 of them from my K10D and K20D (K10D still in my house).
They still work o.k.. Every clone D-LI50 as died since then.

07-23-2021, 02:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My earliest Pentax batteries that came with my K-5 are still working fine. I have run through a lot of different aftermarket batteries and while most did fine for a year or two, they all seemed to get to the place where they no longer hold a charge well. This particularly was an issue with my K-1/K-1 II camera, which I guess is a bit more finicky about the voltage it needs.

I eventually decided that if I need new batteries I will get Pentax branded ones. I don't know that I save money with Pentax ones, but certainly it keeps me from having to throw away batteries periodically and I prefer that.
07-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Watson's are built similar to all other clone D LI90's and D-LI109's:
Instead of the temperature-sensor the 10k cheat resistor.
Have you have personally taken one apart or is that your assumption based on experience with brands you have opened? What about Hahnel?

Steve
07-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Have you have personally taken one apart or is that your assumption based on experience with brands you have opened? What about Hahnel?
It is very simple: A close look at their charger:
Watson | Digital Camera Batteries & Chargers, Camcorder Batteries & Chargers, Aerial Drone Batteries, and Universal Power Accessories
immediately shows one important detail:
No 3rd contact for the temperatur sensor.
I have taken a few apart, names printed on them don't mean really anything.

Hähnel I haven't taken apart yet, but I am almost certain it is the same.
For their D-LI109 clone they claim Japanese cells.
They don't offer any Pentax specific charger anymore (had only one for the D-LI50) but a universal charger with 2 contacts which can be moved to fit different batteries.
So very unlikely that there would be a temperature-sensor!

Most people don't check that deep, most just believe what is written on paper and hope it fits.

What I read about Hähnel is similar to Ansmann: After 2 years loss off capacity. Some earlier on.