Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drilling a hole in the Feisol CT 3342 tripod.

One feature I wish the Feisol had is a screw to stop the head from unscrewing from the tripod. Manfrotto does a nice job with 3 Allen bolts. Only problem is carrying the wrench and the time required for quick head changes.

But, Feisol uses a different construction. Instead of a center column plate sitting on the legs plate, Feisol has a plate that fits into a ring. So I'm thinking drill and thread a hole and in the plate. Instead of using an Allen bolt, a threaded knob could be used to lock the tripod and head together.

I have a small drill press and the equipment to make threads. Looks low risk, and even if it goes horribly wrong a new plate could be ordered. Does this sound valid?

Thanks,
barondla

05-10-2021, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

I've had it done to all of my Feisol base plates. I stayed traditional and had 3 holes drilled and tapped for #10x24 threads and am using socket head jamb screws that use Allen keys for tightening.
Just take care with how tight you do the screws up. The base is pretty soft aluminium and quite thin, so the screws will strip the threads pretty easily.
05-10-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've had it done to all of my Feisol base plates. I stayed traditional and had 3 holes drilled and tapped for #10x24 threads and am using socket head jamb screws that use Allen keys for tightening.
Just take care with how tight you do the screws up. The base is pretty soft aluminium and quite thin, so the screws will strip the threads pretty easily.
Good to know. Wonder why Feisol doesn't incorporate this in their design? Would cost next to nothing. Unless someone else has the rights.

Thanks,
barondla
05-10-2021, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I suppose you could do i. I use the Gitzo series 5 plates, they have a screw mounted in them for locking the heads on,

see pics on link .

Gitzo Systematic Flat Plate - Series 5 | digiDirect

05-11-2021, 05:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
One feature I wish the Feisol had is a screw to stop the head from unscrewing from the tripod. Manfrotto does a nice job with 3 Allen bolts. Only problem is carrying the wrench and the time required for quick head changes.

But, Feisol uses a different construction. Instead of a center column plate sitting on the legs plate, Feisol has a plate that fits into a ring. So I'm thinking drill and thread a hole and in the plate. Instead of using an Allen bolt, a threaded knob could be used to lock the tripod and head together.

I have a small drill press and the equipment to make threads. Looks low risk, and even if it goes horribly wrong a new plate could be ordered. Does this sound valid?
Sounds ok, but maybe some pictures? I can't "see" the ring that you refer to.

Seems scandalous that a top-tier company like Feisol would neglect this aspect.
05-11-2021, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Sounds ok, but maybe some pictures? I can't "see" the ring that you refer to.

Seems scandalous that a top-tier company like Feisol would neglect this aspect.
Don't have a picture, couldn't even find one on Feisol's site. I'll try to explain it better. The Feisol legs connect to a flat platform, where the tripod head screws on. Most tripod brands have a hole in the platform for the center column. The Feisol CT series ships without a center column and the platform is two pieces. Similar to a belt drive audiophile turntable. The platform is over three inches in diameter. Three bolts around the outer edge of the platform tighten in towards the interchangeable center portion. It works the same way as a lens T mount adapter. So the part of the platform attached to the legs is really a ring. If a center column is added it comes with the center part of the platform attached.

None of this is a problem and there's nothing scandalous. The problem is one most tripods from 20 years ago had, excepting Manfrotto. Heads tend to want to unscrew from the 3/8" mounting bolt. My old French Gitzos do and So does my Uni-loc Major. I'm merely thinking of drilling and tapping a screw to keep the head from unscrewing. Manfrotto had to recess tiny Allen bolts so their center column platform could lie flat on the leg platform. Since the Feisol, without center column, only has one platform, screw knobs can be used to avoid Allen keys in the field. I'll make sure to place the knob on inner part of platform so the mod will stay with that part, if I change it out.

This is an amazing travel tripod. It uses large 1.1" diameter legs for strength. The 3" diameter platform allows the legs to flip 180 degrees over the head. The legs are tall. I shorten the bottom leg sections about 4" to have the camera at eye level with a medium size Linhof ball head. The tripod legs without head weigh 2.58 lbs. Amazing.

Thanks,
barondla
05-11-2021, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If I can visual it correctly from your explanation, I used to have a similar problem (I guess) when head unscrew itself from the center column's 3/8" screw. I loosen the head's horizontal rotation knob, the one on the base of a ball head when I am not using it. So when the head hit something, the ball head won't spin itself out of the center column's 3/8" screw, but it will rotate itself on its horizontal rotation base instead.

05-12-2021, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Good to know. Wonder why Feisol doesn't incorporate this in their design? Would cost next to nothing. Unless someone else has the rights.

Thanks,
barondla
Here's a look at one of my Feisol plates. I had this done at a machine shop, but there is no reason why someone with a drill press and a set of taps couldn't accomplish the same thing. I just happen to have a friend with a machine shop.

05-12-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Here's a look at one of my Feisol plates. I had this done at a machine shop, but there is no reason why someone with a drill press and a set of taps couldn't accomplish the same thing. I just happen to have a friend with a machine shop.
Yes, that is pretty much what I had in mind. Your plate looks great. I might switch to small threaded knobs to facilitate quick head changes. Other option is to use bolts with same size hex keys as QR plates. I always have those in the bag.

Thanks,
barondla
05-15-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've found that with similar set ups, the pressure of the screws deflects the bottom metal of the head, causing the panning function to be less smooth. That was with 2 tension screws, not three, but I found that I didn't really need them after all since it would be immediately noticeable if the head became loose on the tripod. That might be why Feisol does not use them.
05-17-2021, 12:06 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've found that with similar set ups, the pressure of the screws deflects the bottom metal of the head, causing the panning function to be less smooth. That was with 2 tension screws, not three, but I found that I didn't really need them after all since it would be immediately noticeable if the head became loose on the tripod. That might be why Feisol does not use them.
Interesting. Never noticed that years ago with Manfrotto. But their heads weren't particularly light weight back then.

Thanks,
barondla
05-24-2021, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Interesting. Never noticed that years ago with Manfrotto. But their heads weren't particularly light weight back then.

Thanks,
barondla
That's another reason to not overtighten the jam screws, and to use more of them. I've not had the problem he mentions, in fact I'm surprised he was able to tighten his jam screws enough to cause any binding of the pan mechanism before the plate gave up.

Mine are just slightly above snug, pretty much just enough that they can't unscrew themselves, and just tight enough to prevent the base of the head from unscrewing on its own.
I also have the tension on the pan control dialed well back so it does turn very easily.
07-10-2021, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #13

Its not hard to drill, but some smooth dill are work better and good drill bits are important.
07-10-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prihn Quote
Its not hard to drill, but some smooth dill are work better and good drill bits are important.
Welcome to the forums. Good points. I tightened the head tighter and it hasn't unscrewed lately. Will probably hold of drilling the Feisol.

Thanks,
barondla
07-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Somewhat off topic here, but I've been using their tripods since they first started selling them 20 or so years ago on flea-Bay. I swear by them, great products at good prices.

What's the cheapest place to get them right now? The Feisol website or B&H? I may need another classic tripod for one of my sons, or else he'll abscond with mine.

Also, have you tried their ballheads? I've been using Markins' ballheads but the Feisol look intriguing.