Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Arkansas, USA
Posts: 1,147
Ouch! I always have the strap on my neck or shoulder as a backup. 2 ways of securing the camera.

05-16-2021, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,715
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I would send it in and have it checked if I were you. I would also complain at Peak Design. Aslyfox mentions it is under warranty, but be prepared to receive a bill, because it was dropped and no technical failure. Still, it is a sad business, you've been full of anticipation for this camera and now so soon after receiving it is damaged. It would make me mad! We are not talking about a 100 dollar camera.
From the PD warranty page:

LIABILITY RELEASE

We have designed and built our products to work well with nearly all devices and accessories, and we believe our gear is very safe to use. Peak Design is not liable for damage to cameras, equipment, clothing or anything in your surrounding environment as a result of using them. Peak Design is also not liable for bodily injury to yourself or others as a result of using our stuff, so please listen to your mother and be careful when youíre out there having fun.


So I don't like the chances of getting anything from them.

I used the clip in exactly the same way for my first trip out with the K3iii on Saturday. No mishaps.

By the way, the instructional video also has the release button facing downward when on a belt. It does seem the safer orientation. Perhaps I'll lock it in future.

05-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian
jerryleejr's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 767
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
From the PD warranty page:

LIABILITY RELEASE

We have designed and built our products to work well with nearly all devices and accessories, and we believe our gear is very safe to use. Peak Design is not liable for damage to cameras, equipment, clothing or anything in your surrounding environment as a result of using them. Peak Design is also not liable for bodily injury to yourself or others as a result of using our stuff, so please listen to your mother and be careful when youíre out there having fun.


So I don't like the chances of getting anything from them.

I used the clip in exactly the same way for my first trip out with the K3iii on Saturday. No mishaps.

By the way, the instructional video also has the release button facing downward when on a belt. It does seem the safer orientation. Perhaps I'll lock it in future.

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Yeah thanks Paul glad it wasnít your cameraÖ.

JJ
05-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 14,853
Yikes! Not fun at all... guess it shows the durability if it's only a few scuffs and a button popped off... (trying to look on the bright side here...)

05-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #20
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 171
+1 for the Joby tether.
Put one on my K1 and K5IIs after a couple of close calls with a harness.


05-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 918
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
From the PD warranty page:

LIABILITY RELEASE

We have designed and built our products to work well with nearly all devices and accessories, and we believe our gear is very safe to use. Peak Design is not liable for damage to cameras, equipment, clothing or anything in your surrounding environment as a result of using them. Peak Design is also not liable for bodily injury to yourself or others as a result of using our stuff, so please listen to your mother and be careful when youíre out there having fun.


So I don't like the chances of getting anything from them.

I used the clip in exactly the same way for my first trip out with the K3iii on Saturday. No mishaps.

By the way, the instructional video also has the release button facing downward when on a belt. It does seem the safer orientation. Perhaps I'll lock it in future.

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Bit of a cop out by Peak Design. I can understand excluding misuse, but to try and exclude any liability at all.....!!! I wonder if anyone has actually pushed them on this statement.
05-16-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,973
I might still use a clip like that on a strap on a backpack, however your story will keep me from any notion of belt use.

05-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 918
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and a reason I use a Joby camera tether as an emergency back up to protect the camera and lens should the main connectors to my sling fail


https://joby.com/global/camera-tether-jb01307-pww/
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but how does this stop the camera falling if the strap breaks? The pictures in the link aren't all that helpful for working it out.
05-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,973
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but how does this stop the camera falling if the strap breaks? The pictures in the link aren't all that helpful for working it out.
Itís typical to have the connection to the sling strap be a single point like the tripod socket. If that unscrews or breaks this adds a second connection to the sling strap.
05-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 918
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Itís typical to have the connection to the sling strap be a single point like the tripod socket. If that unscrews or breaks this adds a second connection to the sling strap.
OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
05-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,973
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
There may be other uses, but thatís how Iíve seen it used.
05-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,036
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but how does this stop the camera falling if the strap breaks? The pictures in the link aren't all that helpful for working it out.
as others have stated, the camera tether is separately attached to the camera and the main strap, should a connector to the strap break, the tether still is attached to the strap



QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
I don't have that one but if you can loop the tether to the camera and to part of the slide lite other than the connector tied to the camera, it might work

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-16-2021 at 07:48 PM.
05-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 918
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as others have stated, the camera tether is separately attached to the camera and the main strap, should a connector to the strap break, the tether still is attached to the strap
But I would need one tether for each end of the strap if the strap is anchored at two points on the camera wouldn't I? Or am I missing something?
05-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,715
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
This is why I feel more confident in the PD Slide (connected at two points) than the Black Rapid strap (1 point, the tripod mounting point). To start with it places only half the weight on each mounting point, and secondly, if one breaks (VERY unlikely from my experience) you would have a second or more to grab the strap before it slides all the way across your shoulder.
05-16-2021, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,036
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
But I would need one tether for each end of the strap if the strap is anchored at two points on the camera wouldn't I? Or am I missing something?
I don't use it as a back up for the failure of the main slide but a failure of the connectors to the camera which hooks into the main slide

hook it through a camera attachment point and then hook it though the main slide somehow

then if one or more of the slide's attachments to the camera fails, the tether still holds
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
anchor, button, camera, clip, design, design capture clip, foot, k3iii, link, park, peak, peak design, release, slide, strap, tripod, tripod foot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camera Chest Mount Choices - Cotton Carrier, Peak Design Capture, ....? K2 to K50 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 05-03-2021 08:15 AM
Peak Design Capture Clip y0chang Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 12-05-2019 06:30 AM
New Peak Design Capture Pro camera-clip owner raves about it fewayne Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 05-28-2014 03:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top