Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! I always have the strap on my neck or shoulder as a backup. 2 ways of securing the camera.

05-16-2021, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I would send it in and have it checked if I were you. I would also complain at Peak Design. Aslyfox mentions it is under warranty, but be prepared to receive a bill, because it was dropped and no technical failure. Still, it is a sad business, you've been full of anticipation for this camera and now so soon after receiving it is damaged. It would make me mad! We are not talking about a 100 dollar camera.
From the PD warranty page:

LIABILITY RELEASE

We have designed and built our products to work well with nearly all devices and accessories, and we believe our gear is very safe to use. Peak Design is not liable for damage to cameras, equipment, clothing or anything in your surrounding environment as a result of using them. Peak Design is also not liable for bodily injury to yourself or others as a result of using our stuff, so please listen to your mother and be careful when you’re out there having fun.

So I don't like the chances of getting anything from them.

I used the clip in exactly the same way for my first trip out with the K3iii on Saturday. No mishaps.

By the way, the instructional video also has the release button facing downward when on a belt. It does seem the safer orientation. Perhaps I'll lock it in future.

05-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

LIABILITY RELEASE

We have designed and built our products to work well with nearly all devices and accessories, and we believe our gear is very safe to use. Peak Design is not liable for damage to cameras, equipment, clothing or anything in your surrounding environment as a result of using them. Peak Design is also not liable for bodily injury to yourself or others as a result of using our stuff, so please listen to your mother and be careful when you’re out there having fun.

I used the clip in exactly the same way for my first trip out with the K3iii on Saturday. No mishaps.

By the way, the instructional video also has the release button facing downward when on a belt. It does seem the safer orientation. Perhaps I'll lock it in future.

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Yeah thanks Paul glad it wasn’t your camera….

JJ
05-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yikes! Not fun at all... guess it shows the durability if it's only a few scuffs and a button popped off... (trying to look on the bright side here...)

05-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #20

+1 for the Joby tether.
Put one on my K1 and K5IIs after a couple of close calls with a harness.

05-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote

LIABILITY RELEASE

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Bit of a cop out by Peak Design. I can understand excluding misuse, but to try and exclude any liability at all.....!!! I wonder if anyone has actually pushed them on this statement.
05-16-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might still use a clip like that on a strap on a backpack, however your story will keep me from any notion of belt use.

05-16-2021, 07:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and a reason I use a Joby camera tether as an emergency back up to protect the camera and lens should the main connectors to my sling fail

https://joby.com/global/camera-tether-jb01307-pww/
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but how does this stop the camera falling if the strap breaks? The pictures in the link aren't all that helpful for working it out.
05-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but how does this stop the camera falling if the strap breaks? The pictures in the link aren't all that helpful for working it out.
It’s typical to have the connection to the sling strap be a single point like the tripod socket. If that unscrews or breaks this adds a second connection to the sling strap.
05-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It’s typical to have the connection to the sling strap be a single point like the tripod socket. If that unscrews or breaks this adds a second connection to the sling strap.
OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
05-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK thanks. I was thinking of something for my Slide Lite but it wouldn't work because that's connected at two different points.
There may be other uses, but that’s how I’ve seen it used.
05-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

as others have stated, the camera tether is separately attached to the camera and the main strap, should a connector to the strap break, the tether still is attached to the strap

I don't have that one but if you can loop the tether to the camera and to part of the slide lite other than the connector tied to the camera, it might work

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-16-2021 at 07:48 PM.
05-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
as others have stated, the camera tether is separately attached to the camera and the main strap, should a connector to the strap break, the tether still is attached to the strap
But I would need one tether for each end of the strap if the strap is anchored at two points on the camera wouldn't I? Or am I missing something?
05-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is why I feel more confident in the PD Slide (connected at two points) than the Black Rapid strap (1 point, the tripod mounting point). To start with it places only half the weight on each mounting point, and secondly, if one breaks (VERY unlikely from my experience) you would have a second or more to grab the strap before it slides all the way across your shoulder.
05-16-2021, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

But I would need one tether for each end of the strap if the strap is anchored at two points on the camera wouldn't I? Or am I missing something?
I don't use it as a back up for the failure of the main slide but a failure of the connectors to the camera which hooks into the main slide

hook it through a camera attachment point and then hook it though the main slide somehow

then if one or more of the slide's attachments to the camera fails, the tether still holds