Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Design capture clip WARNING!

I don’t even know where to begin, I’m beyond beside myself. Received my Peak design V3 capture clip and plate took it out to the local park to test with my K3iii.
Spent about an hour at the park walking around with it belt mounted. I also had my K1MKii around my shoulder and a tripod. I would alternate taking pictures with both cameras so the K3iii was in and out of the clip frequently. Each time I verified the audible click and I would tug and move it to ensure it was locked in before taking my hand off. Then it happened as we were walking back to the car something popped up behind us that I wanted to get a picture of as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete. Thankfully I had installed a screen protector but there are several scuffs and the AE-L button departed the camera. This was from waist level. What I discovered is if you install the clip with the release button facing down as recommended by PD the material in your pants can bunch up enough to actuate the release. Yes there is a built in lock but if you’re removing and replacing the camera a lot on say a walk thru the woods one might not always remember to engage the lock. I’ve attached a link to their video as well as my pics.

JJ

Attached Images

05-16-2021, 12:30 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Big CRINGE! Why I don't use camera clips or chest harnesses.

Steve
05-16-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

and a reason I use a Joby camera tether as an emergency back up to protect the camera and lens should the main connectors to my sling fail

QuoteQuote:
Camera Tether
For DSLR and Mirrorless Cameras
To help secure your camera to your sling strap
PEACE OF MIND: backup connection between your camera and strap
LIGHTWEIGHT STRENGTH: Made of nylon and stainless steel
DISCRETE PROTECTION: won’t get in your way as you move
SUPER SECURE: holds the heaviest DSLR’s with zoom lenses.
https://joby.com/global/camera-tether-jb01307-pww/
05-16-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Big CRINGE! Why I don't use camera clips or chest harnesses.

Steve
Well this was my first probably my last…
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and a reason I use a Joby camera tether as an emergency back up to protect the camera and lens should the main connectors to my sling fail

I have those and had I actually been out hiking or anywhere it wasn’t level ground probably would’ve used it. I even removed everything from my right pocket on the off chance it would bump that button. Never occurred to me that my jeans would hit it…

JJ

05-16-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Ouch! This hurts. Hope you had it insured for this kind of damage. This is one of the reasons I do not use this kind of modern times stuff. I stick by the old straps and bags.
05-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
Ouch! This hurts. Hope you had it insured for this kind of damage. This is one of the reasons I do not use this kind of modern times stuff. I stick by the old straps and bags.
This is a first for me, all my stuff is pristine without a mark. I have straps and bags etc…Now I’m wondering if I need to send it in and have it look at…

JJ
05-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #7

I would get it serviced and have the AF module alignment checked. Otherwise you will always wonder.

05-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Great idea if you're using a sling. That wouldn't be of any use with the belt-mounted Capture Clip, nor with my Spider Belt. The best solution is always engaging the lock even if it's not quite as convenient. I've had my camera pop out when kneeling down with the lock disengaged but so far always on soft ground or carpet. My own fault if the camera gets damaged since I do know better.
05-16-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
This is a first for me, all my stuff is pristine without a mark. I have straps and bags etc…Now I’m wondering if I need to send it in and have it look at…

JJ
It's under warranty

Ship it away
05-16-2021, 02:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I would get it serviced and have the AF module alignment checked. Otherwise you will always wonder.
At a minimum
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Great idea if you're using a sling. That wouldn't be of any use with the belt-mounted Capture Clip, nor with my Spider Belt. The best solution is always engaging the lock even if it's not quite as convenient. I've had my camera pop out when kneeling down with the lock disengaged but so far always on soft ground or carpet. My own fault if the camera gets damaged since I do know better.
And yeah hindsight twenty twenty but I had already been using it and checking for issues walking, bending etc…literally done on the way to the car turned took 2 steps and blam…perfectly upright normal stride
It's under warranty

Ship it away
I’m sure warranty won’t cover it but yeah gonna ship it…

JJ
05-16-2021, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At a minimum

And yeah hindsight twenty twenty but I had already been using it and checking for issues walking, bending etc…literally done on the way to the car turned took 2 steps and blam…perfectly upright normal stride

I’m sure warranty won’t cover it but yeah gonna ship it…

JJ
I sympathize with you. Totally. I'd be sick over it had it been me.
05-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

JJ
I would send it in and have it checked if I were you. I would also complain at Peak Design. Aslyfox mentions it is under warranty, but be prepared to receive a bill, because it was dropped and no technical failure. Still, it is a sad business, you've been full of anticipation for this camera and now so soon after receiving it is damaged. It would make me mad! We are not talking about a 100 dollar camera.
05-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fortunately I never use one of those, I manage to drop my camera on my own, no helpful device needed (Fortunately the only casualty of 3 drops in 6 years was a broken lens hood from my DA-L 18-55mm lens )
05-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch, that must have been a sickening feeling.
05-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
I came here to say exactly this. At least go through the AF fine tuning process again with your lenses and make sure it's all in alignment.

Had my K-1 blow over on a tripod during a storm. Everything seemed to worked fine... a couple of days later I was on a plane out for remote work.
The fall had knocked my AF module out of spec, and I just didn't realize it. 2 weeks of work (everything I used AF for, anyway) was too far out of focus to be saved.

AF fine tuning wouldn't be strong enough to correct for whatever got jostled loose, and I had to send it away to Precision to get it fixed/recalibrated.

Don't sweat the scratches. I know it sucks, and your camera is so dang new, but I've never retired a camera and wished it was in better cosmetic shape at the end of service. The pictures and the experience are really what matters.