Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This is why I feel more confident in the PD Slide (connected at two points) than the Black Rapid strap (1 point, the tripod mounting point). To start with it places only half the weight on each mounting point, and secondly, if one breaks (VERY unlikely from my experience) you would have a second or more to grab the strap before it slides all the way across your shoulder.
The counterpoint is that you have two weaker connection points and if EITHER one breaks the camera may fall.

I however use the PD type. I don’t like a tripod mounted strap as I use arca plates a lot.

05-16-2021, 07:55 PM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The counterpoint is that you have two weaker connection points and if EITHER one breaks the camera may fall.

I however use the PD type. I don’t like a tripod mounted strap as I use arca plates a lot.
I use the optechUSA straps which attaches a toggle to a camera attachment and the toggle attaches to the strap

similar to the Peak Design which attaches two or more toggles to the camera attachments and then to the strap

then I use the camera tether attached to a camera attachment and is looped through the main strap
05-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
PD type.
Peak design strap as mentioned by another user. It has two points of attachment and isn’t a continuous loop strap.
05-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Peak design strap as mentioned by another user. It has two points of attachment and isn’t a continuous loop strap.
but it appears to have a closed loop on the straps [ where the design allows the length to be adjusted ] where the tether could be fed though and the other end of the tether could be attached to a camera attachment

I don't have one so I am not sure

05-16-2021, 08:03 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
but it appears to have a closed loop on the straps where the tether could be fed though and the other end of the tether could be attached to a camera attachment

I don't have one so I am not sure
Mine does, but I’m not sure if it would interfere with the easy adjustment of size. I scale mine from neck strap to sling over shoulder and neck by simply changing the length.
05-16-2021, 08:43 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I recently invested in the Cotton Carrier vest to carry my KP with 150-450 attached, so I will take this story as a timely warning (and much sympathy to the op!!). But because the camera will be riding high on my chest, I will permanently leave the neck strap attached to the camera lugs. In fact even when transferring from the carry vest to my tripod/monopod, I will keep the neck strap around my neck. I am contemplating 2 or 3 belt pouches for lens changes.

I must admit, this story gives me the shivers. I will be talking to my home and contents insurer to clarify what cover I will have on my gear when travelling and hiking.
05-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #37
Pentaxian

OMG! It's easy enough to damage a camera with a conventional strap.

05-16-2021, 11:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that's a scary thing to happen!! I never tried their capture clips, but love their straps. I have been considering the capture clip though, but I think I will skip now...

Hope your K-3 III will be fine...
05-16-2021, 11:38 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Wow, that's a scary thing to happen!! I never tried their capture clips, but love their straps. I have been considering the capture clip though, but I think I will skip now...

I have the V2 which comes with 2 locks. Not sure about V3 which is the latest and a smaller version.
As see on the image below, The quick release's locks on V2 is on the upper right (black) and on the quick release itself (red color on the upper left). We can turn the red button 90 degrees and it will provide a quick lock to the quick release, and or turn the larger black nob on the right to super lock it! It take a longer time to unlock the black one that's why I said super lock.
Not sure if V3 has the quick lock on the quick release button itself or not. It is a very useful feature which doesn't waste space. The black nob lock is a bit over kill IMO.

Edit:
I found it, and Yes, the quick release's lock is still there on V3 and it should somewhat helps.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 05-16-2021 at 11:52 PM.
05-16-2021, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I have the V2 which comes with 2 locks. Not sure about V3 which is the latest and a smaller version.
As see on the image below, The quick release's locks on V2 is on the upper right (black) and on the quick release itself (red color on the upper left). We can turn the red button 90 degrees and it will provide a quick lock to the quick release, and or turn the larger black nob on the right to super lock it! It take a longer time to unlock the black one that's why I said super lock.
Not sure if V3 has the quick lock on the quick release button itself or not. It is a very useful feature which doesn't waste space. The black nob lock is a bit over kill IMO.
On V3, you just turn the release knob 90 degrees to lock it. It's pretty easy and very secure, though I wouldn't have thought it necessary. I may use it from now on.

There were some cases years ago of failure with the capture clip due to flimsy plastic-embedded tripod sockets. Not an issue on a Pentax camera. Any tripod-socket-based system would have had the same issue.
05-16-2021, 11:58 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank god pentax makes tough bodies.. almost painful to see the bumps.
05-17-2021, 12:09 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Thank god pentax makes tough bodies.. almost painful to see the bumps.
Badges of honour!
05-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #43
Closed Account

That's a sickener for you and with the new K3 doubly so. It's also a useful warning about the pitfalls of the capture clip. I don't have one, though I was thinking of one but accidents can happen no matter what you use. I still use a holster case on a hip belt and the other day I picked it up and if I hadn't grabbed it across the front and back and as usual just picked it up from the loop at the back, my camera would have fallen out because I'd forgotten to zip it closed.
05-17-2021, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #44
pid
Pentaxian

I use the Capture Clip for a long time now. Often with big and heavy lenses. I highly recommend the Camera Clip Adapter from ThinkTank for the PeakDesign Capture Clip! It is the better solution and very sure.
05-17-2021, 01:38 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Looking at the 6th picture - you can loose the limited lens front cap if wearing your camera like this ;-) Be careful!

This is my experience with DA 70 limited and DA 21 limited.