Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Until now I didn't have a problem with this clip - but on the belt I use with the ProPad - if interested have a look at this post.

05-17-2021, 03:29 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
I use the Capture Clip for a long time now. Often with big and heavy lenses. I highly recommend the Camera Clip Adapter from ThinkTank for the PeakDesign Capture Clip! It is the better solution and very sure.
I can't tell what this adds to the Spider Pro or Capture Clip regarding security. The sample images aren't very helpful. Could you explain in a little more detail what it does and how it makes the camera mount more infallible?
05-17-2021, 03:59 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

bottom line to this and similar threads

Murphy law applies

as does Finnigan's corollary to it

[ Murphy was an optimist ]
05-17-2021, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I don’t even know where to begin, I’m beyond beside myself. Received my Peak design V3 capture clip and plate took it out to the local park to test with my K3iii.
Spent about an hour at the park walking around with it belt mounted. I also had my K1MKii around my shoulder and a tripod. I would alternate taking pictures with both cameras so the K3iii was in and out of the clip frequently. Each time I verified the audible click and I would tug and move it to ensure it was locked in before taking my hand off. Then it happened as we were walking back to the car something popped up behind us that I wanted to get a picture of as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete.
That's not going to happen if you use it with the optional Pro Pad.

05-17-2021, 04:41 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I can't tell what this adds to the Spider Pro or Capture Clip regarding security. The sample images aren't very helpful. Could you explain in a little more detail what it does and how it makes the camera mount more infallible?
The pro pad changes the orientation of the capture clip. Instead of sliding the camera into the capture clip from the side, you insert it from the top. Thus, you have to lift the camera out of the clip, rather than slide it backward. The camera certainly could slide up a little bit, but you’d have to have quite an event to have it slide up far enough to fall out. (About the only way I can see it happening is if you’re crouching down with a long lens attached, at which point the tumble would be pretty negligible.)
05-17-2021, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
but it appears to have a closed loop on the straps [ where the design allows the length to be adjusted ] where the tether could be fed though and the other end of the tether could be attached to a camera attachment

I don't have one so I am not sure
One end of the Peak Design Slide attached to the tripod foot of my DFA 150-450 via an anchor link and anchor bolt. As you can see, the clip is an intrinsic part of the strap, and is in no realistic danger of breaking. The mating anchor link is rated to 90 kg and has a colour code that makes it easy to detect when it is frayed and in need of replacement. I have many spares, but have never needed one yet.

The other end is attached by a similar clip and link to the strap lug on the left hand side of the camera.

In this configuration, I think the most likely failure is the tripod foot! Several have been reported as breaking by PF members over the years. An additional link to the foot would not help in that case.

But that still leaves the strap attached at the other end, giving the user a good chance of grabbing the slipping strap before camera hits ground.

---------- Post added 17-05-21 at 09:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
The pro pad changes the orientation of the capture clip. Instead of sliding the camera into the capture clip from the side, you insert it from the top. Thus, you have to lift the camera out of the clip, rather than slide it backward. The camera certainly could slide up a little bit, but you’d have to have quite an event to have it slide up far enough to fall out. (About the only way I can see it happening is if you’re crouching down with a long lens attached, at which point the tumble would be pretty negligible.)
But the pad would prevent clothing activating the release button in any case.
05-17-2021, 05:11 AM   #52

Photos: Albums
I don’t even know where to begin, I’m beyond beside myself. Received my Peak design V3 capture clip and plate took it out to the local park to test with my K3iii.
Spent about an hour at the park walking around with it belt mounted. I also had my K1MKii around my shoulder and a tripod. I would alternate taking pictures with both cameras so the K3iii was in and out of the clip frequently. Each time I verified the audible click and I would tug and move it to ensure it was locked in before taking my hand off. Then it happened as we were walking back to the car something popped up behind us that I wanted to get a picture of as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete. Thankfully I had installed a screen protector but there are several scuffs and the AE-L button departed the camera. This was from waist level. What I discovered is if you install the clip with the release button facing down as recommended by PD the material in your pants can bunch up enough to actuate the release. Yes there is a built in lock but if you’re removing and replacing the camera a lot on say a walk thru the woods one might not always remember to engage the lock. I’ve attached a link to their video as well as my pics.

JJ

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
wow so sorry to see this happen especially with a brand new camera. I was looking at a clip system but I think now I will just forget it.

05-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Gotcha. I use the Spider Pro which drops in from the top instead of the side. I noted that the pro pad also states it's compatible with the Spider as well and allows changing the angle. That's where I question what the benefit is.
05-17-2021, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Gotcha. I use the Spider Pro which drops in from the top instead of the side. I noted that the pro pad also states it's compatible with the Spider as well and allows changing the angle. That's where I question what the benefit is.
It distributes the weight of a large lens more evenly. I have the Think Tank Camera Clip Adapter, which is like the Pro Pad on steroids. Only for use with a very large lens, such as the 150-450, 70-200, or 15-30. But you're right; it's of more relevance to the PD Capture Clip rather than the Spider.
05-17-2021, 06:02 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Until now I didn't have a problem with this clip - but on the belt I use with the ProPad - if interested have a look at this post.
Thanks, I see I wasn't the first to ask that question. Now I understand.
05-17-2021, 07:08 AM   #56
Pentaxian

as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete.
That story, and those pictures, really suck. I'm sorry for your accident.

For the record, I've been using Peak Design Capture Clips for many years now, and I advocate for them when asked questions. However, I never felt confortable wearing them sideways like you pictured. I rarely use them on a belt, but when I do I use Think Tank's Camera clip Adapter.

When wearing a sling or messenger, I have a clip at the end of the bag (both are Peak Design), but most of the time I use a backpack and the clip is on a shoulder strap. The opening is facing up at all times, I wouldn't proceed otherwise.

Again, sorry for that accident.
05-17-2021, 07:51 AM   #57
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow! Thanks for sharing your unfortunate experience with the Peak clip. I have one, and now will not use it!
05-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Imperfect design of the PD clip. But the back lower left corner scuff indicates why the fixed screen is better than a weak articulated design. You could have lost the screen. Instead you scuffed the magalloy chassis.
05-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always used the Capture Clip with the Pro Pad. Recently bought the Think Tank Camera Clip Adapter and like it even more. I always wear a heavy duty Galco Leather gun-belt when casually dressed but recently acquired dedicated belt for camera gear that has multiple D-rings and does not thread through the belt loops. It rides slightly above the waist band of the jeans and does not pull my jeans down past my skinny butt.
05-17-2021, 06:17 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spent about an hour at the park walking around with it belt mounted. I also had my K1MKii around my shoulder and a tripod. I would alternate taking pictures with both cameras so the K3iii was in and out of the clip frequently. Each time I verified the audible click and I would tug and move it to ensure it was locked in before taking my hand off. Then it happened as we were walking back to the car something popped up behind us that I wanted to get a picture of as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete. Thankfully I had installed a screen protector but there are several scuffs and the AE-L button departed the camera. This was from waist level. What I discovered is if you install the clip with the release button facing down as recommended by PD the material in your pants can bunch up enough to actuate the release. Yes there is a built in lock but if you’re removing and replacing the camera a lot on say a walk thru the woods one might not always remember to engage the lock. I’ve attached a link to their video as well as my pics.

JJ

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Ouch! Sorry to read about your mishap with your new camera.

Now, I don't know if anyone else has said so, but weather-sealing is now a problem, so you'll probably want to send that in for repair.
Your household insurance should cover you for falls and spills so make the whole thing their problem.

Lastly, when using such a clip, it may not be a bad idea to also have the neck strap around your neck. (Or is it too sort to reach?)