Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2021, 07:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using step down rings with screw on filters

My manual landscape lens kit is all 49mm filter size. I've also expanded with two 52mm filter size lenses: M 200/4 and K 24/2.8.

Would using 49mm filters with a step down ring work at all if I'm cropping to 5:4 or 16:9, so I never need the far corners anyway? I'd be nicer to use instead of a step up for my other set of filters, which is 72mm. The camera is a K1.

05-24-2021, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #2

If you're not concerned with cut-off then go with the ring. Invest in a set of lens filter wrench as soon or later the ring will get stuck on a filter.
05-24-2021, 07:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

What I do for figuring out combinations of filters, rings and hoods is to make a dummy setup constructed from thin black cardboard assembled with masking tape. With that you can do some test shoots and tweak the sizes before getting the parts.
It is very difficult to estimate the result without a test, for example the diameter of the front lens element is very important. When it has a large diameter, with edges close to the filter thread, you mostly need a step-up ring to avoid vignetting.
05-24-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would work but unless you have a huge variety of filters I would just buy a new 52mm set. Filters of that size aren't going to cost much. You could even use them with a step up ring for your other lenses so that you don't have to crop anything.

05-24-2021, 08:14 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The M 200/4 will probably be OK - maybe slight vignetting at f/4.

The 24/2.8 will almost certainly vignetting badly in the corners -- the corners may be correctable at f/2.8 but will probably be unusable stopped-down. Whether it works cropped 5:4 or 16:9 isn't easy to predict.

If you want to test things before buying the step-down filter, cut a hole in a piece of cardboard that's the size of the 49mm filter thread, stick a filter in the hole, hold the cardboard in front of the lens a take some test shots.
05-24-2021, 09:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For not much $$$, you can get a set of step-up/step-down rings and just try it.

I have a set comparable to this: 18x Step Up Down Ring Camera Lens Filter Adapter Ring Kit 37-82mm 82-37mm | eBay

These will let you use your 72s as well, if that turns out to be the best solution. (And, you'll look like a real pro with all that stuff protruding from the front of your lens!?)
6 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Step rings are much cheaper than filters, so you can just experiment. Here are a few step rings on Marketplace
Step rings - PentaxForums.com
5 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're not going to be able to use the OEM clip-on lens hood on the K24/2.8 if you use step down rings. Buy an extra set of 52mm filters.

Phil.

5 Days Ago   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought two Revorings which covers just about the entire range of my lenses. I got the 46-62mm which takes one 67mm filter to cover the entire range and a 67-82 that works with 82mm filters. They have other ones.

They work quite well, easy to mount or move between lenses, pretty unique design that's held up perfectly so far, a whole lot easier than stacking multiple individual step rings and negates the need to carry several filters for various lenses so they're a money saver.

FWIW I bought a half dozen brass step rings two years ago to avoid the stuck like glue standard ones that you can bet will seize sooner rather than later, but geesh they were expensive. I haven't used them at all since getting the Revorings and probably won't, which reminds me to make use of our Pentax Forums Marketplace.

EDIT: I see that B&H has the Revorings offered for sale, special order tho. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1602981-REG/h_y_filters_rs62_revoring...e_adapter.html

Last edited by gatorguy; 5 Days Ago at 08:41 AM.
2 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
to avoid the stuck like glue standard ones that you can bet will seize sooner rather than later,
A very light application of bee's wax (check sewing tools) on the threads will prevent stuck rings.
1 Day Ago   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A very light application of bee's wax (check sewing tools) on the threads will prevent stuck rings.
brilliant !
1 Day Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Thanks for a great suggestion!