Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

Holster type Camera Case

Hello: I have been looking for a holster type camera case that you can buckle around the waist. My old Tamrac case, which I dearly love, buckle broke. I am having a difficult time finding a replacement. If anyone knows of anything like that, please send me brand. I’m not interested in eBay. Tks!!

05-30-2021, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ThinkTank/Mindshift makes a few of very good quality. I have one I use with a KP/ DA•300 / DA1.4 converter combo. Mine is obviously a larger size, I use a harness instead of a belt.
05-30-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
ctt

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
ThinkTank/Mindshift makes a few of very good quality. I have one I use with a KP/ DA•300 / DA1.4 converter combo. Mine is obviously a larger size, I use a harness instead of a belt.
Yes, I looked at their holster camera bags & have sent them a question, whether their straps will fit the waist as opposed to the shoulder.
Tks!
05-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to take a look here:

Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

05-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

While not a case, I have recently started using the Peak Design clips. The clip attaches to your belt and the plate is arca swiss compatible and goes on the camara. It is very well made and durable with a quick release lock. I have used it with my K1+DA300 and recently got a second so I can put a camera on each hip, one with telephoto and one with something wide and quickly swap between them.
05-30-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #6

Lowepro still makes a more traditional style with belt loop. Don't know what size you are looking for though.

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/toploader-photo-active-tlz-45-aw-lp37345-pww/
05-30-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
While not a case, I have recently started using the Peak Design clips. The clip attaches to your belt and the plate is arca swiss compatible and goes on the camara. It is very well made and durable with a quick release lock. I have used it with my K1+DA300 and recently got a second so I can put a camera on each hip, one with telephoto and one with something wide and quickly swap between them.
never have tried one of those but I remember this warning thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
I don’t even know where to begin, I’m beyond beside myself. Received my Peak design V3 capture clip and plate took it out to the local park to test with my K3iii.
Spent about an hour at the park walking around with it belt mounted. I also had my K1MKii around my shoulder and a tripod. I would alternate taking pictures with both cameras so the K3iii was in and out of the clip frequently. Each time I verified the audible click and I would tug and move it to ensure it was locked in before taking my hand off. Then it happened as we were walking back to the car something popped up behind us that I wanted to get a picture of as I turned around and took a step my K3iii went flying out of the clip and hit the concrete. Thankfully I had installed a screen protector but there are several scuffs and the AE-L button departed the camera. This was from waist level. What I discovered is if you install the clip with the release button facing down as recommended by PD the material in your pants can bunch up enough to actuate the release. Yes there is a built in lock but if you’re removing and replacing the camera a lot on say a walk thru the woods one might not always remember to engage the lock. I’ve attached a link to their video as well as my pics.

JJ

https://youtu.be/C44nbgvXbiU
Peak Design capture clip WARNING! - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

05-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctt Quote
Hello: I have been looking for a holster type camera case that you can buckle around the waist. My old Tamrac case, which I dearly love, buckle broke. I am having a difficult time finding a replacement. If anyone knows of anything like that, please send me brand. I’m not interested in eBay. Tks!!
Hi Ctt

Can you not find someone to replace the broken buckle ?
05-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I looked at their holster camera bags & have sent them a question, whether their straps will fit the waist as opposed to the shoulder.
Tks!
They are made to be used with a belt, a harness, or a shoulder strap.
05-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

Peak Design capture clip WARNING! - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com
Hadn't come across that one, so thanks. Also haven't had any issues, but I have paid attention as I put the clips on that the release button was clear. After reading through the warning thread I ordered the peak design pro pads so the clips can hang horizontal. Now that I am informed I will be a little more paranoid, but I am still happy with the clips.
05-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hama Bags & Backbags | hama.co.uk still make a variety of bags with belt loops. I have several Hama bags, perfectly serviceable
05-31-2021, 06:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
This incident is sad, but not a generalization of how Peak Design clips operate. I've been using several for many years and would never part with them. You might look here for a way to carry it more securely on a belt:

Think Tank Modular Belt System Review - Camera Clip Adapter | PentaxForums.com Reviews
05-31-2021, 06:13 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will second the LowePro toploaders, depending on how big you need. I have a slightly older one that I use as a soft case inside my backpack, or with a shoulder strap and/or on my belt as a holster.

Also, when the buckle broke on my Tamrac Superlight bag, the small (3/4") 2-pin repair buckle from Sea to Summit worked perfectly.

Last edited by THoog; 05-31-2021 at 01:51 PM.
05-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a Tamrac waist pack and the buckle broke. Okay it had a lot of help from me shutting a car door on it. I think I've now broken three similar buckles by shutting car doors on them. Amazingly despite a crack down the middle on the female side, the buckle still worked. But I replaced it with a generic from Amazon. The original worked somewhat better and was nicer (and of course had that nice Tamrac logo), but I did email Tamrac asking if they had any replacements and... no reply. So you can't just replace the buckle with a generic one? My original buckle wasn't sewn on - is yours? Most replacement are sew-on; you have to be careful to find replacements with the correct slots that don't require sewing.
05-31-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
This incident is sad, but not a generalization of how Peak Design clips operate. I've been using several for many years and would never part with them. You might look here for a way to carry it more securely on a belt:

Think Tank Modular Belt System Review - Camera Clip Adapter | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I don't have one so I am not voting for or against it, just letting the OP know about that thread