Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
P5 sync port?

The Pentax AF540FGZ has a "P5 sync socket". I assume the P is for Pentax and the 5 is for all five electrical contacts. How does this interact with a standard PC-sync cable? I assume it just works, as if one put the flash on an old manual camera? The K20D manual says it has an "X-sync socket", not a P5 socket. Does that mean it doesn't include the extra contacts?

Last edited by mattdm; 11-26-2008 at 12:08 PM.
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that you should ask. I just got finish with a little project of my own that I had to use this kind of info.

To use the P5 plug on a Pentax flash you need to not only use ether the EXTENSION CORD F5P (LONG) (9.5 feet) or the EXTENSION CORD F5P (SHORT) (3 feet) but either the HOT-SHOE ADAPTER F or the OFF-CAMERA SHOE ADAPTER F. This will make the flash look just like it is on the camera. There is a problem with that. If you are trying to use the flash in manual mode the flash will see the camera and will put the flash into a TTL mode when you try to take a photo. The only way I found to stop this was to use a PC to hotshoe adapter and then plug an adapter F into this. That way the flash only sees a PC to trigger the flash.

As a side note I think but have not fully test it yet that you can plug one flash into the other flash and use one to trigger the other.

DAZ
11-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, as I understand it, the "Hot-Shoe Adapter F" provides the camera-side P5 connector — it connects to the camera's hot shoe and provides the port and a pass-through hot shoe on top. The "Off-Camera Shoe Adapter F" provides the other side — you put it on a tripod, mount the flash on it, and connect the cable.

The AF540FGZ (I think uniquely among current P-TTL flash offerings) has the P5 port built in and so doesn't need the Off-Camera Shoe Adapter F (although you'd still want some sort of tripod-mount shoe).

I'm a bit confused about the K20D, though. That has a port described as an "X-sync socket", presumably the old standard P-C sync socket. Is this compatible with the FP5 cords? Does it provide complete P-TTL and advanced functionality? If so, why don't they call it a P5 socket?

Also, can you use a non-pentax flash with a PC-sync socket with the Hot-Shoe Adapter F and F5P cable (or other cable)?
11-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
So, as I understand it, the "Hot-Shoe Adapter F" provides the camera-side P5 connector — it connects to the camera's hot shoe and provides the port and a pass-through hot shoe on top. The "Off-Camera Shoe Adapter F" provides the other side — you put it on a tripod, mount the flash on it, and connect the cable.
Yes, all the adapter are doing is extending the contacts on the hot shoe.

The AF540FGZ (I think uniquely among current P-TTL flash offerings) has the P5 port built in and so doesn't need the Off-Camera Shoe Adapter F (although you'd still want some sort of tripod-mount shoe).
The AF540FGZ has the P5 port and the older AF500FTZ also had one (I have both flash units and a 360). So if you are using one of them you can use a cold shoe mount (as long as the shoe doesn’t touch the pins on the flash) but if you are using an AF360FGZ you have to use an adapter. In addition you can chain flash units together using adapters. The chain could look like this. Camera Hot-Shoe Adapter F to Hot-Shoe Adapter F with 360 on top, cable over to 540 on a cold shoe. How many flashes this could support I don’t know but at some point it is probably better to break the P5 connection so you can use the flash units in manual.

I'm a bit confused about the K20D, though. That has a port described as an "X-sync socket", presumably the old standard P-C sync socket. Is this compatible with the FP5 cords? Does it provide complete P-TTL and advanced functionality? If so, why don't they call it a P5 socket?
The X-sync socket is a standard PC sync socket (threaded but you can use just cheaper non threaded). This is why you have to have a Hot-Shoe Adapter F on the camera. This is a good thing not only because it is compatible with PC sync equipment but gives you a way to get away from the P-TTL and advanced functionality. When you use a Pentax flash with P5 even if you put the flash in manual it will go back to a TTL mode when you take the photo. Using a PC sync to hot shoe adapter lets you break the P5 connections and still use the P5 stuff but not be in a TTL mode. You lose contrast control (you are doing that in manual anyway) and HS sync but you can still use trailing curtain, as this is a flash unit dependent thing.

Also, can you use a non-pentax flash with a PC-sync socket with the Hot-Shoe Adapter F and F5P cable (or other cable)?
Yes, as long as the voltage is not too high and flash/camera is not confused by what stuff is on the other pins. The center pin and shoe side rail is the same on all flash unit that are hot shoe. If you put a Nikon or Canon flash on the camera it could get all confused (flash or camera maybe both) by what is on the other pins. So to use P5 with other flash if the other pins are a problem just use one of those high voltage hot shoe isolator (even thou the voltage is not to high) to break the connections to the other pins.

One other thing you can use the P5 stuff for is wireless flash. I know wires with wireless? The on camera slash can control the other flash units but it can be a little anemic. Using a 540 or 360 off camera but wired P5 can control the other flash units. You could also use the on camera flash as control, tell the camera flash to not contribute light, have a flash that can see the camera flash and relay the info on P5 to a flash unit that can’t see any flash (inside something lets say) and trigger that flash.