Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Camera bag recommendations hiking

Hi guys, hope this is the right forum for this thread.

I'm going on a week of hiking in August and realised my current camera bag is not up to the task.

The brief would be that I need a sturdy rucksack for hiking that can carry and allow me to easily access my K3, three lenses (a large one and two smaller ones) as well as my drone (DJI Air2) including remote and batteries. Additional compartments for the tripod and snacks welcome Any recommendations?

06-26-2021, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are too many to mention. Lowepro do a specific hiking rucksack the BP300 with side access, hip belt, pole loops, water bladder pocket, snow closure etc.... You can often pick them up 2nd hand on Ebay.

Mindshift, Peak design, Thinktank etc..... all do very specific walking backpacks.

I personally have tried the Lowepro and didn't like it. I've examined many more and found each of them wanting in some way. The route I've taken is to use an ordinary rucksack and put an existing camera bag in it which just happens to be the right shape with top access. If you don't have such a bag the the Tenba BYOB range or the Lowepro gear pouches do nice designs.

It's a very personal choice though, good luck with the hunt, i suspect most people have more than one bag for more than one purpose.
06-26-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I have been using the Lowepro Flipside 500 AW on my trail excursions..Fits alot, easy access.. and comfortable.

amazon.com: Lowepro Flipside 500 AW Pro DSLR Camera Backpack: Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

al
06-26-2021, 11:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4
5ks
Pentaxian

You might also think of a general purpose backpack with very good ergonomics and use inserts for the camera equipment.

06-27-2021, 05:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Ive been using the nya-evo Fjord 36 with RCI Unit - illumedesigns-eu for a while now, and itis a very nice backpack. You should be able configure it to your needs. The have a smaller and a bigger bag.
06-27-2021, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
You might also think of a general purpose backpack with very good ergonomics and use inserts for the camera equipment.
+1

I find most camera bags lack the adjustment features, and the ones with those features lack some of the compartments (especially side pouches for things like water bottles
06-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote

The brief would be that I need a sturdy rucksack for hiking that can carry and allow me to easily access my K3, three lenses (a large one and two smaller ones) as well as my drone (DJI Air2) including remote and batteries. Additional compartments for the tripod and snacks welcome Any recommendations?
The Tenba Axis 24L is a comfortable pack that would hold your gear. It is also MOLLE, so attachments are handled easily if needed. It has an external pouch for a water bottle, which is important when hiking. There are 20L and 32L versions as well, depending on your requirements. The 24L will fit in cabin luggage. The Axis range is specifically designed to hold cameras, lenses and drones.

06-27-2021, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would second this only to add to get one made for backpackers. I've seen them in the 24 to 30L range. Of course you can go up over 100L if you want. Make sure it is properly sized to your torso, has padded hip belts, load lifters, and some places to attach things to outside of it.. You will be able to carry the weight of the camera gear and the hiking essentials much easier than with a photography or general purpose backpack.
06-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ended up with the Vanguard Alta Sky because it has a drone-carrying feature as well as a sturdy waist belt. It's not perfect, but it checked almost all of the boxes I needed - and which appear similar to yours.
06-28-2021, 12:38 AM   #10

I am one of those who uses a regular backpack with insets as I have never found a camera specific one that didn't look like a compromise or overpriced
06-28-2021, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Oooooh! That's a topic I love!

By FAR, my favourite photo hiking backpacks are the rotation180 line from Mindshift Gear. Here's a review of their older model 34L

Mindshift Gear rotation180° Horizon backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

And here's an article about the new version:

Rotation180 Backpack From Mindshift Gear: Ideal Hiking Backpack! - Light And Matter

They have a larger, 50L version too.

The easy access to camera gear, plus the fact that the bags are designed as hiking backpacks first, make them stand out.

F-stop, Shimoda and a few others are supposed to make great hiking bags also, I have not tested them. None will offer access that's as quick.

Wandrd makes the Fernweh, a superb hiking backpack also, around 50L. I have one, am not using it really so am considering selling it, I hesitate because it's great.

I love Peak Design but would not recommend any of their bags for serious hiking.
06-28-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done that a ton of times. Works perfectly fine. I have invested a lot in quality general -use backpacking and my equipment never had any issues. Ergonomic design is very important. Always a breathing back and lots of pockets. Waterproof zipper is a great idea. I sometimes put some clothing (socks for instance) in it so the shakes are nearly gone.
06-29-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Done that a ton of times. Works perfectly fine. I have invested a lot in quality general -use backpacking and my equipment never had any issues. Ergonomic design is very important. Always a breathing back and lots of pockets. Waterproof zipper is a great idea. I sometimes put some clothing (socks for instance) in it so the shakes are nearly gone.
I've bene an advocate of using a dedicated hiking backpack and a generic insert for a long time. But bag makers have adapted. Nowadays it's much easier to find true hiking backpacks, with good ergonomics, also designed from the ground up for photographers. With a non-camera bag the problem is always access to your gear. Dedicated camera bags address this.

Many bags now have adjustable lengths, load lifters, good hip straps, sometimes rigid frames, etc. They have nothing to be ashamed of when compared with non-photo bags.

For my part, since discovering the rotation180 bags from Mindshift gear, I've never hiked with anything else (and wouldn't, even if not bringing my camera).
06-29-2021, 05:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hiking for me usually means carrying the DFA 150-450, or at least the DFA* 70-200. Neither will fit upright in the bottom compartment of the Rotation 180. If they have to go in the top (optional) insert, the point is rather lost.

Also, for general travel, as distinct from pure hiking, the laptop compartment will not hold a 15" laptop, so again a serious issue for me.
06-30-2021, 05:29 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Hiking for me usually means carrying the DFA 150-450, or at least the DFA* 70-200. Neither will fit upright in the bottom compartment of the Rotation 180. If they have to go in the top (optional) insert, the point is rather lost.
If you hike with those larger lenses, then indeed it's not ideal. What I found is that the top insert can be organized so that part of it is for lenses, and the rest for hiking equipment, clothes, etc, with minimal space lost because of the insert's side padding. Not ideal, but it works.

They designed the rotation180 bags with smaller kits in hand, that's obvious.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Also, for general travel, as distinct from pure hiking, the laptop compartment will not hold a 15" laptop, so again a serious issue for me.
Same kind of logic. They did not design the bag with that in mind, obviously. I personally don't carry a laptop when hiking, and don't use the rotation180 bag when in the city (I use the Everyday Backpack from Peak Design for that).