Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2021, 06:45 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Adapting older wired remote shutter release to newer cameras - KP and K-70

For those that own the KP and K-70, finding a 3rd party remote shutter release is a little more difficult since Pentax changed the plug format for these cameras. Earlier Pentax DSLRs use a 3 conductor 2.5mm TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) plug. The KP and K-70 use a 4 conductor 3.25mm TRRS (tip/ring/ring/sleeve) plug.

I discovered this the hard way when I ordered the Pixel RC-201 E3 shutter release cable, thinking it would work with my K-70. Being an electrical engineer and tinkerer, I decided to physically replace the cable/connector on the Pixel remote with a cable that has the proper size and configuration connector. I purchased an inexpensive pre-made cable from Amazon that has the proper connector on one end and bare leads on the other.

After some careful experimentation I was able to determine that the sleeve is ground (or Common), the first ring closest to the sleeve also needs to be connected to Common, the second ring is connected to the focus contact and the tip is connected to the shutter release contact. Putting it all together this works exactly the way it is supposed to and looks like the remote was manufactured this way to begin with.

But for those that aren't tinkerers, this can be accomplished by using a simple 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter like the one shown below. I hope this is helpful to someone.

P.S. If anyone is interested, I can expand on my modification description with more details and even some diagrams and pictures. Just let me know.

Attached Images

Last edited by cdw2000; 07-16-2021 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Removed reference to K1 ii and K3iii. They have the original plug.
07-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #2

Options are always nice.

All you need is an off the shelf 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter. Even though the plug on the remote for the KP and K-70 has four poles only three are used and a normal 3 pole (stereo) adapter works fine.

KP and shutter release - PentaxForums.com
Headphone Terminal K-3 and K-70 - PentaxForums.com
Remote control adaptor? - PentaxForums.com
07-13-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well done there! I had no idea there were these differences on the plugs. Please do explain!
07-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Options are always nice.

All you need is an off the shelf 2.5mm to 3.5mm audio adapter. Even though the plug on the remote for the KP and K-70 has four poles only three are used and a normal 3 pole (stereo) adapter works fine.

KP and shutter release - PentaxForums.com
Headphone Terminal K-3 and K-70 - PentaxForums.com
Remote control adaptor? - PentaxForums.com
Yup. Looks like this has been covered in detail already. Looks like I re-invented the wheel. I guess I should have done a forum search first.

07-13-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
Yup. Looks like this has been covered in detail already. Looks like I re-invented the wheel. I guess I should have done a forum search first.
I had to chuckle. We field inquiries about wired remotes for the K-70 and KP every so often, despite the existing resources. Your thread is an interesting twist.

Steve
07-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The JJC MA-PK1 is still available on ebay, looks like it's up to $9 nw.
07-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
(and probably the K-1 ii and K-3 iii) now use a 4 conductor 3.25mm TRRS (tip/ring/ring/sleeve) plug.
Incorrect. The K-1 ii and K-3 iii use what the rest (other than KP and K-70) used, the CS-205.

07-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't sure about the K-1 ii and K-3 ii. I removed the reference to them in my original post.