Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CertEdFriday Quote
Still await delivery - latest forecast is delivery in January. Unfortunately they don't say what year!
I also found it on this site - price is a bit scary though...

Pentax AF160 FC Ring Flash
January is half over!

01-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the Xotopro system, but it's just so darn expensive. I've given some thought to just building a system on my own using a couple of cheap small flashes, Cactus triggers, and a PTTL flash (which one would be good?) mounted onto a Bogen Manfrotto macro flash bracket like this:

I'd be fine with making my own bracket, but I'm not a big DYI gal when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Heather
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I really like the Xotopro system, but it's just so darn expensive. I've given some thought to just building a system on my own using a couple of cheap small flashes, Cactus triggers, and a PTTL flash (which one would be good?) mounted onto a Bogen Manfrotto macro flash bracket like this:

I'd be fine with making my own bracket, but I'm not a big DYI gal when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Heather
Buddha Jones had a set up using wireless triggers. He was trying to sell the Viv S1 macro and the light. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/36883-relist-vi...wer-price.html

The thing is, I understand how to get this to work with the p-ttl. I had considered a AF360 and 2 AF200 and cables and the Manfrotto bracket, but that was going to be pricey. That is pretty much what the Xotopro has done!

I think the Xotopro lights only at $249 plus the Manfrotto bracket at $49 would have interested me had I seen this before I got he Sigma. I guess the $300 question is how well does the Xotopro work with the p-ttl.

01-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CertEdFriday Quote
Still await delivery - latest forecast is delivery in January. Unfortunately they don't say what year!
I also found it on this site - price is a bit scary though...

Pentax AF160 FC Ring Flash
Why is it that Pentax accessories are often so much more expensive than those from other manufacturers? The ring flash appears to be a case in point, but it also applied to items such as right angle finders which were listed at £450 compared with around £150 for similar items from Canon and Nikon.

I would love to have Pentax lenses, etc., but those from independents such as Sigma are so much cheaper and offer, from what I can gather, similar quality.

If the Pentax ring flash is well over £450 as indicated by the Ephotozine website, then it will have to be the Sigma at around £250.

John
01-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think the Xotopro lights only at $249 plus the Manfrotto bracket at $49 would have interested me had I seen this before I got he Sigma. I guess the $300 question is how well does the Xotopro work with the p-ttl.
It looks like another incarnation of the Sakar AF952PEN. (I'm getting less convinced that these are originally made by Sakar. I think there must be some Chinese factory which cranks them out.)

Huh — weird. There's a series of Tumax flashes which claim to be P-TTL which I've never seen before, only one of which looks like the same generic make seen elsewhere. Maybe they are the source. Must investigate!

TUMAX
02-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #37

Pentax Ring Flash

At last - received a phone call to say my Pentax Ring Flash has arrived in stock £399 inc vat! Delivery tomorrow!

So the long awaited item is nearly here. I have been following the threads here and note with interest how allegiances change as the wait goes on. Pentax kit is expensive - but it does the job and there is less of a compatability issue when using all the same kit. Not sure I would find a need for a wireless capability whilst shooting macro? Each to their own.

Just lets see if the post office is still able to deliver on time!

02-11-2009, 04:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

My unit, from ADORAMA, is to be delivered today. FINALLY !
02-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #39
Inactive Account

I'm still waiting for my Metz

If I'm lucky, at the end of this month.
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by roelof Quote
I'm still waiting for my Metz

If I'm lucky, at the end of this month.
Ugh, it's been available and in stock in the UK (the Metz) for around 2 months now.

My AF160FC is due to be in my grubby hands tomorrow too

Somewhat expensive though compared to the competition.
02-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Here it is..........

....and upon first look, I will say PTX has built a serious tool. It seems very well made and packaged. It is not weather-proof but are any? The K20 is pictured on the manual cover. I think it is heavier than any others available.........there are some worrisome problem points listed in the lens compatibility section with many lenses having 'focus mechanism is unstable' problems (whatever that means). Won't get to try it out for a day or so.............here's a couple of pix.............
Attached Images

02-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Now, that all 3 ring flashes are avaliable, let's have a quick look at pricing again. German best online store prices...

- Pentax AF-160: 349 EUR / 379 $
- Sigma EM-140 DG for Pentax: 326 EUR / 354 $
- Metz mecablitz 15 MS-1 digital (universal incl. Pentax): 252 EUR / 273 $

($: converted from EUR w/o VAT).
02-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #43
Forum Member

Since it appeared that the Pentax ring flash was going to be around the £400 mark and outside my budget, I decided to get the Sigma EM-140 DG. It appears to be well made and, having tried it on some daffodils at home, it works extremely well with my K10D. The unit that attaches to the camera hotshoe appears to be somewhat larger than the Pentax item. Can't wait to get to using it on some actual field work. The cost was £249 (approx. EUR 275) including free post from SRS - though they did say that it was the last one before the prices increase!

John
02-12-2009, 04:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

The EUR/$ exrate makes the unit cheaper for you guys than the $449 Adorama price I paid. Note that the large ring in pic 2 (right side) is dedicated to the DFA macros only and locks on in place of the hood - of somehwt dubious use for very close work, especially with the 50, IMO......all the rings are metal BTW............
02-12-2009, 05:38 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Sigma was by the door when I got home yesterday. That darn Santa snuck up on me. I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a "real" situation chasing bugs and snakes. It will definitely be a very usable system. So far the only thing I don't like is that the lamps (left, right, both) have to be selected through a menu instead of a switch. The thing has 9 switches on it so I fail to see why the couldn't have put one on the ring itself. It could be that the lamps are so processor driven regarding intensity.

Edit: The EM 140 will control my Metz 48 as a wireless slave.
Blue, could you pl post some shots using the new ring light. Just want to see whether the images look flat or shadows/shadowless. I own a AF 540 fgz and contemplates another flash to complement my macro shots. Thank you.

Marcus