Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #16

The Metz 15 MS-1 is available in the UK now for ~£250 - intriguing but I'd like to see some reviews on how it fares first. It seems the Pentax is probably going to be around £399 - I really hope it isn't

12-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tri State camera has the Metz listed for $400.

Metz | 15 MS-1 DIGITAL WIRELESS MACRO SLAVE FLASH | MZ15110 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer
12-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Tri State's reseller rating is less than stellar. TriState Camera, Video and Computers - tristatecamera.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings I'm wondering if they actually have those Metz in stock and if the have the one for the Pentax. They are coming in cheaper than I thought they would. I was making my guess based on the Metz 58 pricing.
12-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Tri State's reseller rating is less than stellar. TriState Camera, Video and Computers - tristatecamera.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings I'm wondering if they actually have those Metz in stock and if the have the one for the Pentax. They are coming in cheaper than I thought they would. I was making my guess based on the Metz 58 pricing.
I never checked their rating - I was just interested in the fact that at least the flash is starting to show up in ads. We will probably start seeing more after the first of the year, which my budget says is just as well.

12-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Sigma was by the door when I got home yesterday. That darn Santa snuck up on me. I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a "real" situation chasing bugs and snakes. It will definitely be a very usable system. So far the only thing I don't like is that the lamps (left, right, both) have to be selected through a menu instead of a switch. The thing has 9 switches on it so I fail to see why the couldn't have put one on the ring itself. It could be that the lamps are so processor driven regarding intensity.

Edit: The EM 140 will control my Metz 48 as a wireless slave.
12-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Over here (the Netherlands) the Metz now costs about half the price of the Pentax unit....

EUR 259 - Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1
EUR 329 - Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Flashlite (Pentax version)
EUR 499 - Pentax AF-160FC

CameraNU.nl - Metz - Flitser

The site lists it as being on back-order, but they do show the price.

I think I will order one; I always wanted a macroflash, but was put off by the high prices up until now.
12-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roelof Quote
Over here (the Netherlands) the Metz now costs about half the price of the Pentax unit....

EUR 259 - Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1
EUR 329 - Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Flashlite (Pentax version)
EUR 499 - Pentax AF-160FC

CameraNU.nl - Metz - Flitser

The site lists it as being on back-order, but they do show the price.

I think I will order one; I always wanted a macroflash, but was put off by the high prices up until now.
That's a great price! Of course they could advertise it for free if they don't have any to sell. Hopefully the price will remain the same when they get them in stock.

12-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That's a great price! Of course they could advertise it for free if they don't have any to sell. Hopefully the price will remain the same when they get them in stock.
I ordered it for this price, which means they have to deliver it for that when it comes in. I found it for the same price on another Dutch website which did have them in stock, so it seems that this is going to be the retail price over here. I wonder where the huge price difference is coming from. AFAIK Metz is an A-brand too.

Last edited by roelof; 01-03-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: test sig
12-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I ordered it for this price, which means they have to deliver it for that when it comes in. I found it for the same price on another Dutch website which did have them in stock, so it seems that this is going to be the retail price over here. I wonder where the huge price difference is coming from. AFAIK Metz is an A-brand too.
Metz is definately a quality product! Let us know when you get it and post some pictures taken with it so I can drool and dream!
12-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like Pentax missed the mark on price and feature set here. I encourage people to e-mail them about that issue and particularly about the lack of wireless options.
12-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Looks like Pentax missed the mark on price and feature set here. I encourage people to e-mail them about that issue and particularly about the lack of wireless options.
The one thing I may like about the Pentax unit compared to Sigma or Metz is the straight forward controls. But that may be due to the lack of wireless features etc. Operating the Sigma is a lot like operating the Metz 48. For what its worth, the Metz is made in Germany and the Sigma is made in Japan and that is a plus to me for both since I like to see photographic equipment made in Germany or Japan.

You are absolutely right about the price point on the Pentax unit. They need to get it down.
12-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #27

I found a video of the Metz 15ms-1 digital macro ring flash. check it out . Metz 15MS-1 digital macro ring flash overview on Yahoo! Video
12-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #28

I've seen some photo's taken with the Metz 15 MS-1 on flickr and am not sure I like the twin flash reflections you get from it in macro work. A ring can be a problem, but seems more appealing than what I've seen so far from the Metz.

I'm really waiting to see what the AF160C reflections look like before making a decision.
01-07-2009, 09:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ring around the Macro

So I decided to get a Macro flash and after much thought ordered the Sigma from B&H, which will arrive tomorrow.

Then I began to have second thoughts and have concluded that the Pentax is the better product for me even at a quite higher price. This is based partly on design and partly on expected performance. So the Sigma will go back.

I just spoke to the PTX folks at Golden (call ctr in NC) but they were unable to give me a release/ship date. just.............soon.
01-13-2009, 02:22 AM   #30

Pentax AF160FC AUTO MACRO RING

Still await delivery - latest forecast is delivery in January. Unfortunately they don't say what year!
I also found it on this site - price is a bit scary though...

Pentax AF160 FC Ring Flash