Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bag Suggestions - Shoulder, Large

All,

I have the ProTactic BP 350 AW II, from Lowepro, which my wife purchased for me as a gift. It's simply not big enough (and I find configuring it annoying) for my K-1 (the bag even indicates that it's really for a mirrorless or smaller dSLR), my Tamron A001, and one more large prime (Tokina 400mm, currently).

I'd like to get a larger shoulder bag, and have been eyeing some of the used Lowepro and Tamrac bags. Does anyone use a larger shoulder bag and have some thoughts in the $50 - $150 (used) range?

Thank you!

--J.

07-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not the brands you're mentioning, but I have a think tank retrospective 30 (there's a newer v2). It's nicely made and with good pockets and partitioning options. I sometimes use two bodies which fit side by side, most often just one with a couple of zooms and primes, and lots of room to spare for non-photo items. I've been wondering why I keep it, I almost never use it since it's so big, but it does come in handy sometimes.

Last edited by aaacb; 07-31-2021 at 06:02 PM.
07-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend the OP take a look at this area of the forums

Pentax Accessory Reviews » Bags and Cases » Camera Bags

Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
08-01-2021, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I find the Lowepro "Slingshot" to be convenient, though whether it is defined as a "shoulder" bag may be argued … it does only have one strap
I have the 200AW and carry one of my APSC bodies, my Sigma 150-500mm (not attached) plus a macro lens (Tamron 90mm), a t/c and the usual bits and pieces with no problem.
I'd anticipate one of the larger models could serve the OP's requirements.

08-01-2021, 03:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Does anyone use a larger shoulder bag and have some thoughts in the $50 - $150 (used) range?
I switched from K-5 in a Golla Rust G412 to K-1 in a Lowepro Event Messenger 250.
Review: Lowepro Event Messenger 250 Bag - The Phoblographer
Inside the Lowepro Event Messenger 250 - The Lowepro Blog
Photo Accessory Reviews | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-01-2021, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Lowepro "Slingshot"
+1 for the Slingshot, it suits most of my needs, even when I use a K-1 with a long lens.
08-01-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Shoulder" bag? Can you be more precise? Backpack, sling bag, messenger bag?

Amongst messenger bags, the Vanguard Up-Rise II 38 is a great size for K1 + DFA* 70-200 + DFA 15-30 + DFA* 50, if you're prone to carrying large kits. It is easily expandable for that purpose, but can also be configured for a more compact kit.

08-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Probably my favourite is the Lowenpro Format 160.
But I also have a slingshot and a number fo others. And nothing is big enough for my Tamron 300 2.8, it needs it's own bag. A lot depends on exactly what I'm doin that day.
08-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I recommend the OP take a look at this area of the forums

Pentax Accessory Reviews » Bags and Cases » Camera Bags

Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
I did, thank you!

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
"Shoulder" bag? Can you be more precise? Backpack, sling bag, messenger bag?

Amongst messenger bags, the Vanguard Up-Rise II 38 is a great size for K1 + DFA* 70-200 + DFA 15-30 + DFA* 50, if you're prone to carrying large kits. It is easily expandable for that purpose, but can also be configured for a more compact kit.
I think of "shoulder" bag as a messenger bag. I've found a number of places (B&H, Adorama, Lowepro) that seem to classify "shoulder" and "messenger" together. For example: https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/camera-bags/shoulder-messenger-bags/.

But, I think you're right to point out that backpacks also rest on the shoulders, and are therefore "shoulder bags."
08-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think of "shoulder" bag as a messenger bag...
but, I think you're right to point out that backpacks also rest on the shoulders, and are therefore "shoulder bags."
No, the terms define the purpose of the bag with backpacks the straps go over both shoulder as designed, with the sack or bag covering across the back and distribute the weight.
With a shoulder bag, the straps are generally shorter, designed to carry light and non bulky items, but if the straps are long enough to sling cross body to both distribute weight and secure the bag so the hands are free, it's a sling bag. For the kit you are describing, you might find the weight inconvenient on just one shoulder, and shoulder bags often slip unless secured by one hand. For those reasons, I've often chosen a sling bag, though I do use a holster as well.
08-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
No, the terms define the purpose of the bag with backpacks the straps go over both shoulder as designed, with the sack or bag covering across the back and distribute the weight.
With a shoulder bag, the straps are generally shorter, designed to carry light and non bulky items, but if the straps are long enough to sling cross body to both distribute weight and secure the bag so the hands are free, it's a sling bag. For the kit you are describing, you might find the weight inconvenient on just one shoulder, and shoulder bags often slip unless secured by one hand. For those reasons, I've often chosen a sling bag, though I do use a holster as well.
Are sling bags large enough for two 8-10" lenses + a K-1? I haven't found one that would fit that much - the largest seem to be backpacks.
08-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Are sling bags large enough for two 8-10" lenses + a K-1?
Maybe these are big enough to take a D FA 150-450mm and a K-1:
Sling in Foto- & Videotaschen mit Höhe ab 240mm, Tiefe ab 100mm heise online Preisvergleich / Deutschland
08-01-2021, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Backpacks leave a sweaty spot in the middle of you back on hikes as short as 20 minutes.
Backpacks mean more showers and drier skin.

Sling packs don't hold enough. Big back packs hold all your lenses except 300 2.8 and above but make a really big sweaty spot.. It' really hard to fin things to carry long telephotos.

That's what's so great about the DA 55-300 PLM with an HD dA 1.4 TC on it.It fits in with the DA 18-135 or DA 16-85 in a smallish shoulder bag.
You don't need bigger packs, you need smaller lenses.
08-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one takes the 150-450 …

PHOTOHIKER ? Hiking Backpack for Photographers by Thomas Ludwig / COSYSPEED ? Kickstarter

I own the pre version

Cosyspeed Photohiker 24/48 - Kickstarter - PentaxForums.com
08-02-2021, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon Warehouse often has bargains on like-new buyer's remorse returns.

Chris