Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2021, 06:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Another approach would be to have a machinist make a “puck” that mounted onto the center threading and was thick enough to contain a precision drilled hole for an appropriate stud (3/8”) for a tripod head. The puck would screw on and off and not deface the basic unit in case you wanted to sell or display it later. Alternatively a thinner puck could be made to sit flush with the top of the existing thread. Then the machinist would need to precisely drill and tap that threaded section and for a 3/8” stud. The luck part would provide a level surface to snug the tripod head to.

08-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I agree with that sentiment. Don't overthink it and it won't be too hard. Drill and tap, no milling. May want to use a helicoil or better still a keensert, depending on what weight equipment you want to put on top.

Could also remove/ drill thru anything in the center leaving a through hole. Then you can just stick threaded rod through the middle with appropriate nuts and washers on top and bottom. No taps, no need for precise holemaking.
Are you guys really recommending balancing a tripod head on what is, at most, a 3/4 inch stud?
Really?
08-04-2021, 08:30 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Are you guys really recommending balancing a tripod head on what is, at most, a 3/4 inch stud?
Really?
I glanced at it and didn’t see it correctly. I thought it was a 3/4 inch threaded stud flat on the base.
08-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I glanced at it and didn’t see it correctly. I thought it was a 3/4 inch threaded stud flat on the base.
No, it's a stud for mounting a transit on, and from looking at the picture, the base isn't flat either, though that might be my eyes deceiving me. The base is completely unsuitable for converting into a camera tripod head mount.
I'm sure something could be Rube Goldberged onto it, but it wouldn't be suitable for much more than one of those toy ballheads that floated around in the mid 1980s and a camera about the size and weight of a Pentax Q.

08-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Before modifying the tripod, check if it is a collectable item.
Are you guys really recommending balancing a tripod head on what is, at most, a 3/4 inch stud?Really?
I think the more experienced posters make good points here. It will be, at best, a novelty. I said "...this thing probably isn't going to be ready to hold heavy long lenses..." and that was underselling the point. It will be weak, and just an accident waiting to happen if you can't always remember that it's only for your Qs and Auto110s and flash heads.
Maybe better not to bring such a sad creature into existence.

Sorry, I just got too excited about helping someone with a home machinist project.
What's that they say about when all you have is a drill and a tap, everything looks like a location for a drilled and tapped feature..?
08-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

The center post on my Sirui is about 1 1/4" diameter. The picture looks like the center of this tripod is in that ball park, however, measuring it to be sure would not be a bad idea. Then using this or something similar to mount on top would make it about identical to my Sirui:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382166-REG/sirui_kp59kit_kp_59_mount...981&

I agree with @Wasp on making sure this does not have some value before modifying it.

I would also note that beyond making it a fun project, it may be far more practical to invest in a nice modern tripod.
08-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you decide to go for modifying this, before drilling, make sure you use a center punch to give the drill bit a spot to start. Otherwise, it will try to walk on you, and getting the hole properly centered will be near impossible.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-4-1-2-in-x-5-16-in-Center-Punch-66311/206377456

As you add up the cost of tools, it may be worth seeing if you have a local machine shop that could knock this out. I would think it would be a pretty cheap thing to do.

08-04-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Before modifying the tripod, check if it is a collectable item. It might be worth good money in it its current unmolested state. Probably not, but you never know. By drilling it you might be defacing a valuable antique, hehehe.
This is very true. I'm actually over on a surveyor's forum now, too, checking into what they know.

---------- Post added 08-04-21 at 11:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I think the more experienced posters make good points here. It will be, at best, a novelty. I said "...this thing probably isn't going to be ready to hold heavy long lenses..." and that was underselling the point. It will be weak, and just an accident waiting to happen if you can't always remember that it's only for your Qs and Auto110s and flash heads.
Maybe better not to bring such a sad creature into existence.

Sorry, I just got too excited about helping someone with a home machinist project.
What's that they say about when all you have is a drill and a tap, everything looks like a location for a drilled and tapped feature..?
Absolutely - to one with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

---------- Post added 08-04-21 at 11:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
If you decide to go for modifying this, before drilling, make sure you use a center punch to give the drill bit a spot to start. Otherwise, it will try to walk on you, and getting the hole properly centered will be near impossible.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-4-1-2-in-x-5-16-in-Center-Punch-66311/206377456

As you add up the cost of tools, it may be worth seeing if you have a local machine shop that could knock this out. I would think it would be a pretty cheap thing to do.
Duly noted re: center punch. And, will check with local machine shops. I'm near Elkhart, IN, which has them galore.
08-06-2021, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly you should be able to remove the center stud via a nut under the base plate, and then I would try and adapt a bolt that you then can reinstall with spacers to make up for the width of the stud.

Several winters ago I converted an ugly orange and yellow one into one for astro work

With a little TLC it turned out very nice
08-07-2021, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice one Ian. Here's my mod of a surveyors tripod. I used a surveyors tribach to attach a tripod head.

08-07-2021, 12:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
All,

I won an old wooden tripod by auction with some other items, and I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what it might be. I don't see any marks on it (of course, I might be missing them). It's pretty cool. Seems to be solid wood and brass.
While the legs follow the same design as many surveyors tripods, the top plate design would seem to indicate another use. Maybe a telescope?

Surveyors tripods almost always have a hole in the top centre so as to be able to observe the survey mark underneath, on the ground, from the instrument above. Note I say "almost always" as very few instruments required the use of a plumb bob and line.
08-07-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
If I remember correctly you should be able to remove the center stud via a nut under the base plate, and then I would try and adapt a bolt that you then can reinstall with spacers to make up for the width of the stud.

Several winters ago I converted an ugly orange and yellow one into one for astro work

With a little TLC it turned out very nice
The center stud is either cast with the base, or has been welded in. Underneath, there is no nut. See here:

---------- Post added 08-07-21 at 08:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice one Ian. Here's my mod of a surveyors tripod. I used a surveyors tribach to attach a tripod head.

Very very cool mod.

---------- Post added 08-07-21 at 09:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
While the legs follow the same design as many surveyors tripods, the top plate design would seem to indicate another use. Maybe a telescope?

Surveyors tripods almost always have a hole in the top centre so as to be able to observe the survey mark underneath, on the ground, from the instrument above. Note I say "almost always" as very few instruments required the use of a plumb bob and line.
You might be right re: telescope tripod.

Looking at examples like these, it seems like the center post on mine could attach an old scope, especially given the indentation in the top post where a screw could attach (almost like a larger version of https://www.adorama.com/bg3102.html):

Antique wooden floor tripod stand for shade lamp telescope spot light home decor | eBay

Nautical Vintage Brass Floor Lamp Wooden Tripod Stand | eBay

Last edited by jawats; 08-07-2021 at 09:04 AM.
08-08-2021, 02:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The center stud is either cast with the base, or has been welded in. Underneath, there is no nut. See here:
This does not look like a transit tripod now looking at the underneath, normally for the deck of the tripod it would be flat but (some where not) the transit would need a flat surface for the leveling feet once the transit was mounted. There should also be a place to attach the plumb bob to on the underside but that could be damage or removed. Normally that was just underneath the center bolt that is not seen on your deck.

Now this could be a tripod for an early transit level. Or a telescope
09-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Coming late to this thread with another suggestion...

Unbolt the legs and take the current attachment plate to a foundry and enquire about an aluminium copy...suitably thickened and moded for a centre hole.

Or a local Model railway/engineers club may be interested in a paid project.

As I'm a real cheapskate I would be making one out of a suitable hardwood
Just a wooden plate with a centre hole so as to be able to bolt on a head from below.

That said, I've cut enough thick aluminium on my wood band-saw that I would try that first...cut a new plate,drill for centre, and slot for hinge mounts.

My own is an ex-surveyors tripod with a captive rod I brazed a thread to.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-420  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-420  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-420  Photo 

Last edited by bobD; 09-22-2021 at 09:06 PM.
09-23-2021, 04:52 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All,

I won an old wooden tripod by auction with some other items, and I was wondering if anyone has an idea as to what it might be. I don't see any marks on it (of course, I might be missing them). It's pretty cool. Seems to be solid wood and brass.
It actually looks like a decorative knock off, having thought about it a little.

Not sure how stable it will really be