Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advise me a bag

So my K1-mkII with HD 43mm ltd is the best thing that happened to my photography hobby. The camera performs well with all my lenses, but with the 43mm it feels like cheating. The pixy dust is so real. I want to take this combination everywhere.

I want a tiny sling bag that can hold my K1 with modest or small lens attached. It doesn't need to carry any extra lenses or other items. It also shouldn't shout "CAMERA BAG: please rob me." to much.

For example, if the HEX ranger mini would fit the above mentioned combination I would already be very happy. But I'm having a difficult time finding out if it does.

09-08-2021, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It also shouldn't shout "CAMERA BAG: please rob me." to much.
You could buy a padded insert that fits the camera and protects it, and put it inside an old nondescript bag.

I plan on doing this for my K-1 using a well-worm army rucksack I own.
09-08-2021, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Sling bag? My four favourites are (in order)

Peak Design sling. The 6L would be perfect for you, maybe even the 3L. I love those bags, so well made, customizable, able to attach a Capture Clip (invaluable for me).

Mindshift Gear Photocross: the 10L would be good for you, although a bit big, it's very rugged and comfortable.

Wandrd Roam : very comfortable, well made, clever system to include an optional laptop sleeve, close in design to the Peak Design but with a definite Wandrd flair. I'll be selling my 10L soon since I can't justify keeping two slings, but I will regret seeing it go.

Moment Rugged sling : another close to the Peak Design in general principles, nice minimalist approach, tough, rugged.

Stay away from Lowepro, that logo screams camera bag, and I've never been impressed by that company's craftsmanship. Manfrotto makes nice products, but they change them every 6 months, so it's hard to track, and they never seem to hold up to the better ones.
09-08-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So my K1-mkII with HD 43mm ltd is the best thing that happened to my photography hobby. The camera performs well with all my lenses, but with the 43mm it feels like cheating. The pixy dust is so real. I want to take this combination everywhere.

I want a tiny sling bag that can hold my K1 with modest or small lens attached. It doesn't need to carry any extra lenses or other items. It also shouldn't shout "CAMERA BAG: please rob me." to much.

For example, if the HEX ranger mini would fit the above mentioned combination I would already be very happy. But I'm having a difficult time finding out if it does.
I'll check it out when i get home (if I don't forget)

09-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Stay away from Lowepro, that logo screams camera bag, and I've never been impressed by that company's craftsmanship.
I agree.

I have five Lowepros, all bought new from about 2007 to about 2013. All of them had problems with their plastic clips.

I replaced them with two Domke F1 Originals. The Domke's are tough, well designed, durable. So far, not a single problem with the Domke's.
09-08-2021, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The mini ranger is a bit small. But it can be done, but you won't be able to put a cell phone in the cell phone pocket. Here's my K-1 with the 43 Limited.

The Ranger easily accommodates the K-1 with the 28-105 on camera with lens hood deployed and another lens. Right now I have the Sigma 28mm macro in it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N986U  Photo 
09-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll second the Peak Design sling. The smaller one would suit your purpose.

09-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I’ve been very pleased with a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 ,I use mine for a KP with 55-300 PLM attached and also carry a 16-85 so a medium size would probably be fine for just your K1.It’s very well made and doesn’t scream “ camera bag”

Last edited by timb64; 09-09-2021 at 12:55 AM.
09-09-2021, 02:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
The mini ranger is a bit small. But it can be done, but you won't be able to put a cell phone in the cell phone pocket. Here's my K-1 with the 43 Limited.

The Ranger easily accommodates the K-1 with the 28-105 on camera with lens hood deployed and another lens. Right now I have the Sigma 28mm macro in it.
Excellent! Thank you very much.
09-09-2021, 03:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Excellent! Thank you very much.
You're welcome.
09-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a nice shoulder bag at the local military surplus, then bought the smaller version for when I need less gear along. Total cost for both was around $30 (Canadian)
09-10-2021, 04:21 AM   #12

If you haven't tried a sling bag previously, I'd caution you to only buy from places with a good return policy. I recently tried both the Moment and Peak Design sling bags and returned both of them. I found them both uncomfortable to carry. They really only work if you are fully "strapped in" with the main strap over one shoulder and the "stability strap" or whatever they call the small additional strap that goes around your torso buckled. The Moment bag can ONLY be worn as a sling; if you try to carry it over one shoulder, it wants to tip outward, and this causes the weight of the bag to pull the strap off your shoulder. The Peak Design bag does this as well, but not as badly. I found the pockets on the Peak Bag so tight that I could not get anything into them, particularly the outer pocket, which I think is there mostly for show as I couldn't get anything thicker than an SD card into it. (I'm mostly a film shooter, and rolls of 35mm film were definitely a no-go.) I had the 6L, and the rear pocket, which is supposed to hold an iPad, was so tight that it was difficult to get the iPad in and almost impossible to get it out without taking off the bag and prying it out.

I returned both of these bags. No more slings for me. I ended up buying a Think Tank Retrospective 4, which is more of a traditional shoulder bag. It's a bit smaller than either of the slings (too small to hold a normal sized iPad), but I find it much more comfortable to carry. I can easily carry a manual focus SLR and three lenses in it (Spotmatic with 28mm f/3.5, 50mm f/1.4, and 105mm f/2.8 lenses). Not quite sure how this would equate to a large DSLR, but I would think you could easily get the K-1 with the 43mm mounted into the bag and probably have enough room left over for another small lens if you decide to carry one at some point.
09-10-2021, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I really like my Domke, but the neighbor kids have giggled over my "man purse" a couple times.....I'd still rather carry that than a massive backpack.
09-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I’ve been very pleased with a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 ,I use mine for a KP with 55-300 PLM attached and also carry a 16-85 so a medium size would probably be fine for just your K1.It’s very well made and doesn’t scream “ camera bag”
I'll second the Turnstyle 10, Here's mine with the KP with 20-40 mounted, 55-300PLM, DA 15 (in an individual pouch in last section). Unfortunately I don't have a K-1 to check, it might need the Turnstyle 20. I got it in April 2017 and can't image switching to another bag. I actually also have a smaller Turnstyle 5 that I got when I had a Sony a6000 for a while, now use it for film cameras. The KP with a lens will fit in it, but it's snug.

Name:  IMG_1262.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  170.6 KB