Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I shall watch your experience with interest, the levelling bowl looks a useful feature!

11-10-2021, 06:10 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I shall watch your experience with interest, the levelling bowl looks a useful feature!
+1.

I am regretting not forking out the extra for the carbon fibre version of the tripod I bought(Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 263AP Aluminum-Alloy Tripod Kit withAlta PH-32) a couple of years ago. Especially as I have since acquired the Monster (150-450mm).

That gymbal sounds heavy. I am still debating the worth of some sort of fluid head.

Your thoughts on your new system after a few field uses would be of great interest.
11-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It seems to work... haven't been out much, but neat.

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
+1.

I am regretting not forking out the extra for the carbon fibre version of the tripod I bought(Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 263AP Aluminum-Alloy Tripod Kit withAlta PH-32) a couple of years ago. Especially as I have since acquired the Monster (150-450mm).

That gymbal sounds heavy. I am still debating the worth of some sort of fluid head.

Your thoughts on your new system after a few field uses would be of great interest.
As I said, not much use right now, I did go down to the river but all the eagles have left with the cold... I think this Jobu gimbal suits the 150-450 really well - if you decide to pursue one, get the 'deluxe' version however (more distance from tray to pivot), as the 150-450 has a tall foot and we need to attach a plate rather than use a replacement foot. And even then it's about a 1/4" above perfect balance, but this isn't a problem if you leave a tiny bit of tension on the pivot.

As far as weight, it's really not heavy at only 1.5lbs, by comparison a Wimberley gimbal is just over 3lbs (and bigger obviously, but I'm not seeing any advantage to having it unless you have a 500/4 or larger you use as well as the 150-450). If you're concerned about weight, I'm not really sure a fluid head would be the way to go for this, as I would think adjustable drag would be a must, the smallest (and cheapest) offering that are the Manfrotto 502 at 3.7lbs and the Benro S6 at 3.6lbs

Besides, the 150-450 + KP combo looks pretty at home on the Jobu. You can also see the levelling ball in use here: