Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2021, 04:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Looks a bit on the small side for everything.
The Urban Access 15 is the same size as the Peak Design 30L, the Wandrd Prvke, and most other "everyday" bags.

Interesting option, that looks like it would work fairly well (if it could be configured to have a top accessed column down the centre when having just the KP on the 150-450). But I have to complain about the price there... $400 is an awful lot more than what I was wanting to spend... maybe if I find a used one...
The PD bag might be organized by placing the dividers vertically to create a channel, with the Flexfold towards the edges.

Regarding price, well... There seems to be three pricing tiers. First, very basic or knock-off products sold on Amazon. Then, companies such as Lowepro who deliver adequate quality (I mean that word both in a positive and negative way) but rarely innovative solutions. Last, products such as those from Think Tank (and their Mindshift Gear sub-brand), Peak Design, Wandrd, a few others. Those always come at the top of the class regarding design, innovation, craftsmanship, warranty (they almost always offer a lifetime warranty). That has a price, but my humble opinion is that, quite often, it's worth it. For the quality design, of course, but also for the seamless way these companies honour their warranty. Plus companies such as Peak Design are part of initiatives such as 1% for the planet, making sure they work with ethical suppliers, etc.

My two cents.

10-07-2021, 06:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Lowepro Flipside 400 AW ... Lowepro Flipside 500 AW II
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my medium size back pack is the Flipside 400
I did have a look at those - Flipside 500 almost looks on the too big size, but the 400 may do. Just running through all options... too many bags

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You mention having the KP (without grip) and 150-450 packed for shooting. I have a KP and DA*300 that I carry in a Think Tank Digital Holster 30. It fits with the hood with room to spare. I may be too small or very snug for the 150-450, but they also make a larger one. I actually have a harness and strap it to my chest, it could also ride at your side. Obviously that does not solve all of your problem, but I wanted you to know that it is out there. Possible something like that could work inside of a backpack or duffel style bag with other equipment in individual cases. I myself do something similar for air travel, I have a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 sling bag that I put inside a backpack with the other things I'm taking, it takes about half or a little more of the backpack I have. I also have a padded bag from Cabelas that I've used a couple of times. It is sold as a fishing tackle bag, with no dividers, but a few pockets.

If you have any kind of real camera stores around, go look at them. There are just so many that you won't find someone with some of them, you may see something that really would work for you. I bought my first Think Tank Turnstyle bag after seeing a cheaper Promaster knockoff in a camera store.
I guess I'm not really looking for a bag to hold the KP and 150-450, to be taking out and putting away while shooting. More to transport to location (such as while biking - I'm not sure a holster bag would work as well as a backpack for that). When I'm shooting it'll generally be on a sling.

As far as camera stores - unfortunately none around here...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
If you can find the old version Crumpler Karachi Outpost that loks like this: https://www.rei.com/product/786047/crumpler-karachi-outpost-camera-pack
It's been great for me. It has a detachable laptop sleeve, the whole padded interior comes out so you can use it as just a regular backpack. I have travelled a lot with it like that and it works as a carry-on. Its super comfortable and very well made. I've dragged mine all over the place and it still looks great and works perfectly. The tripod attachment point is centered which is nice for balancing.
May take a look at those - however I disagree with the centred attachment point - I much prefer side attached.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Kinesis is top notch equipment. Their stuff is modular. If you want to have the KP and 150-400 ready to shoot something like this Kinesis Long Lens Case might be what you are looking for. I would think a second bag to carry the normal kit would make sense instead of carrying everything in one bag.
Ah, haven't heard of them before. Really the function of carrying the 150-450 was a secondary duty to the function of carrying everything.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I got me one'o them Mindshift Backpacklight 26L. They make bigger ones, but mine holds two bodies, a Tamron 150-600, a Canon 70-200, & three regular sized lenses the way I've got it configured. Three zippered pockets, one pretty big the other two inside. Opens from the back. Very comfortable.
Yeah - one of those hiking oriented packs would probably work quite well - the Backlight 36L seems a pretty ideal size - shame they all seem to be regularly 1-2" over the long dimensions for carry on - maybe they compress slightly and can fit in the cages?

I really like the idea of a proper carrying system and frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Urban Access 15 is the same size as the Peak Design 30L, the Wandrd Prvke, and most other "everyday" bags.

The PD bag might be organized by placing the dividers vertically to create a channel, with the Flexfold towards the edges.

Regarding price, well... There seems to be three pricing tiers. First, very basic or knock-off products sold on Amazon. Then, companies such as Lowepro who deliver adequate quality (I mean that word both in a positive and negative way) but rarely innovative solutions. Last, products such as those from Think Tank (and their Mindshift Gear sub-brand), Peak Design, Wandrd, a few others. Those always come at the top of the class regarding design, innovation, craftsmanship, warranty (they almost always offer a lifetime warranty). That has a price, but my humble opinion is that, quite often, it's worth it. For the quality design, of course, but also for the seamless way these companies honour their warranty. Plus companies such as Peak Design are part of initiatives such as 1% for the planet, making sure they work with ethical suppliers, etc.

My two cents.
Ah okay, you have a valid point re price - just seems very much on the pricey side for a backpack. I guess I was more hoping to spend more so in the middle pricing tier...

So after a day of thought and looking at various bags, I think I've refined my requirements somewhat:

Large enough to carry a ton of gear.
Good carrying system.
Fits in airplane carry on with side mounted tripod (21.5" x 15.5" x 9").
No front access.
A little extra space for water, jacket, etc.
Preferable option of top access, but not an absolute requirement.

Laptop no longer needs to fit - I've realized that I've got so much extra stuff with it that it's easier to keep in it's own bag - and I often want to have easier access to it on a flight for example. Also when I'm not flying, I have no reason to have it with me in the bag.
10-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . . Fits in airplane carry on with side mounted tripod (21.5" x 15.5" x 9").. . . .
the problem with " carry on " size, it can depend on the size of the plane you are on

I have had to switch from planes with " normal " size overhead bins to smaller " connector " planes with much smaller overhead bins

they will gate check your carry on without charge but I don't want my photo gear gate checked at all

if visible or found security may not allow a tripod as part of carry on

QuoteQuote:
Tripods
Carry On Bags: Yes
Checked Bags: Yes
For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.
The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
Tripods | Transportation Security Administration

what do you do if gate security says no ?

your checked luggage is long gone

so I never take a chance and always check a tripod/monopod and hope for the best

with a full size carry overhead bin I have carried on any of my backpacks:

Ruggard 75, Lowepro Flipside 400, Lowepro Fastpack 100

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-07-2021 at 08:17 AM.
10-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I have a Gitzo Adventury 45lt, backpack, it is very configurable, and the whole photo section can come out if you just want a backpack. I carry a FA*600/f4 with a couple of bodies and two extra lenses, tripod straps on well, can hold a smaller 12in laptop as well. The shoulder straps are very comfortable with the weight, it has a couple of nice handles top and bottom for holding and moving it around, a built in rain cover pulls out from the bottom, and the top of the pack can also open up and expand so you can carry some extra stuff, jackets ect. I can say the build quality is excellent. They also have a 30lt version .

Gitzo Adventury 45L camera backpack for DSLR with 600mm lens - GCB AVT-BP-45 | Gitzo AU

10-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Interesting... though seems to a fair amount of negative reviews of poor construction. And the split camera compartment seems a little weird.
Just like people do when looking at reviews with Pentax cameras one can, out of the 825 ratings, zero in on the 9% negative and overlook the 91% positive and base their opinion on those. Me, I think a 91% positive is pretty darn good. The one I purchased and have had for close to 2 years has been without an inkling of problems.

The split compartment upper portion I have my K1 mkll with 28-105mm, a Sigma 70-300mm, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Sigma 17-35 mm, Tamron 90mm macro, Pentax F 70-210mm, Pentax F 35-70mm. Let alone all the other items I have in the various pouches.
The lower portion, either My K3 ll, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 17-70mm & Pentax 35 mm Macro in the waist bag stored in it OR I take the waist bag out and add my Pentax D Fa* 70-210mm & Sigma 150-500mm.
So for me it's not weird and serves my purpose. Yet I still have my Lower Pro sling bag or just use the waist bag when I want to go light.
10-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My Flipside 400 AW has fit underneath the seat in front of me neatly on flights with my Pentax camera and Sigma 150-500 for Pentax connected in the pack. Carrying a Pentax camera/Pentax 150-450 combination would most likely fit very neatly in the Flipside 400 AW, along with some other equipment. I take off my lens hood when transporting my camera/150-500 combination in a pack. I also put the combination in a large plastic bag and put the lens cap on the lens.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.
10-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a large shoulder bag have a look at the Domke F2.
If you need something bigger they also make the F-1X.

Chris

10-09-2021, 01:49 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Large Bag Recommendations
Remember you've still get this off the floor when using... sounds like a lot of kit to me.

For main transit I always Pelican cases, usually 1510s and then decant down to Billinghams for the actual shoot. Both of which comply with most airline carry on size requirements. Tripods are additional baggage to these... as mine are way too big.

Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-09-2021, 12:04 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I have a Gitzo Adventury 45lt, backpack, it is very configurable, and the whole photo section can come out if you just want a backpack. I carry a FA*600/f4 with a couple of bodies and two extra lenses, tripod straps on well, can hold a smaller 12in laptop as well. The shoulder straps are very comfortable with the weight, it has a couple of nice handles top and bottom for holding and moving it around, a built in rain cover pulls out from the bottom, and the top of the pack can also open up and expand so you can carry some extra stuff, jackets ect. I can say the build quality is excellent. They also have a 30lt version .

Gitzo Adventury 45L camera backpack for DSLR with 600mm lens - GCB AVT-BP-45 | Gitzo AU
Interesting interesting, could work pretty well... except again on price

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
My Flipside 400 AW has fit underneath the seat in front of me neatly on flights with my Pentax camera and Sigma 150-500 for Pentax connected in the pack. Carrying a Pentax camera/Pentax 150-450 combination would most likely fit very neatly in the Flipside 400 AW, along with some other equipment. I take off my lens hood when transporting my camera/150-500 combination in a pack. I also put the combination in a large plastic bag and put the lens cap on the lens.
Nice to hear than the 400 fits under the seat in front... it would most likely be big enough for me, for right now...
500 is the same price, but probably wouldn't fit below the seat, however has a lot more room... may end up with this.

Just need to decide what to get within the next monthish.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
For a large shoulder bag have a look at the Domke F2.
If you need something bigger they also make the F-1X.

Chris
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Remember you've still get this off the floor when using... sounds like a lot of kit to me.

For main transit I always Pelican cases, usually 1510s and then decant down to Billinghams for the actual shoot. Both of which comply with most airline carry on size requirements. Tripods are additional baggage to these... as mine are way too big.

Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Good suggestions, but not really what I'm looking for for my uses
10-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Nice to hear than the 400 fits under the seat in front... it would most likely be big enough for me, for right now...
500 is the same price, but probably wouldn't fit below the seat, however has a lot more room... may end up with this.
Good luck with your decision.
10-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came in a little late and haven't fully read through the thread, but it doesn't look like anyone has mentioned the bag I have. Vanguard Alta Sky 51D.

It's pretty darn big. My latest trip I carried my K1, Tamron 60b 300/2.8 with hood in shooting position, two adaptall teleconverters (could leave either on the lens if desired), Sigma APO 180/2.8 macro with hood on, Pentax fa*24/2, DFA*50/1.4, F*300/4.5, a cleaning kit with extra batteries and charger, and two light jackets. All in that bag. I could leave the camera on any lens except the 180 macro and it all would still fit, including the 300 even with 1.4x converter (probably not with 2x).
I probably could have fit one more normalish lens (like a limited) in there fine, and also a laptop, since the laptop stows in it's own compartment.

It's very very user configurable. It has quite a few access options.
Not sure at all about airport carryon, I don't fly much and don't really remember what size is ok.
It does have some annoying features including one, straps in way of main rear door when fully open, that makes you grumble every time you use it. There are superfluous carry handles in random places here and there, to the point of siliness. There's a whole flop down tripod carrying scheme that I've considered cutting off entirely due to disuse, though it is useful for carrying my big tripod.
It was probably too expensive; both generally for what it is, and in comparison to other options.
Still I've been very pleased.

If you look at it and have any questions I'd be glad to answer.

Last edited by wadge22; 10-09-2021 at 06:59 PM.
10-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what do you do if gate security says no ?

your checked luggage is long gone
I believe they can "gate-check" it, for a fee.

Ah okay, you have a valid point re price - just seems very much on the pricey side for a backpack. I guess I was more hoping to spend more so in the middle pricing tier...
Fair enough. I've been disappointed often enough that I now look at the top tier.

So after a day of thought and looking at various bags, I think I've refined my requirements somewhat:

Large enough to carry a ton of gear.
Good carrying system.
Fits in airplane carry on with side mounted tripod (21.5" x 15.5" x 9").
No front access.
A little extra space for water, jacket, etc.
Preferable option of top access, but not an absolute requirement.

Laptop no longer needs to fit - I've realized that I've got so much extra stuff with it that it's easier to keep in it's own bag - and I often want to have easier access to it on a flight for example. Also when I'm not flying, I have no reason to have it with me in the bag.
I've actually been thinking about that. I believe Think Tank's Backstory (I mentioned above) would be an excellent choice to comply with this list.