Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-31-2021, 05:40 PM   #31

Hope my 2 cents worth can be of use to someone here. I also have scoured the web for a large gear bag, and never found anything I was REALLY happy with. What I have settled on is the "ultimaxx" large camera bag. I've only seen them on eBay. The dimensions are:

Inner Dimensions: 19” (W) x 11” (D) x 9” (H).
Outer Dimensions: 23” (W) x 13” (D) x 10.5” (H).

They cost around $50 and I own 4 myself, and have two friends who now have them as well. We are all pretty satisfied with them. The only thing I didn't like about this bag is it has no pockets on the top cover. I solved this by getting a pair of black pencil/pen bags that had two zipper compartments and used Gorilla glue to attach them to the lid. The glue seems to not have any issues being in a hot car for some length of time. I attached them so that I could use the provided pocket on the back side of the zipper case to hold instructions, etc. I have all of my bags MASSIVELY overloaded, and they seem to take the abuse just fine. Has two side pockets and a large front pocket. Side pockets are great for batteries and charger, the front I use for filters, cable release, and even my quick flip for my flash. Adding a better shoulder strap pad if you have a lot of weight is helpful.

Hope this helps someone.

Attached Images

11-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm not sure on the internal dimensions for the Backstory
You might find answers here:

Ready for anything with the Backstory backpacks from Think Tank - PHOTONews Magazine

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One thing I'm not sure about is how far up the internal velcro goes, ie, can I have a three layer setup like this
I believe that would work. Myself, I reversed the dividers so they fold downwards, that lets me create three shelves, kinda how you do it.
11-01-2021, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I did read through your review there but couldn't figure out if you think a grip on the body would fit or be too tight - or able to pull out through the top like that. I've emailed Think Tank for the topic opening measurements, so we'll see if/when they get back to me.

The problem with the fact there's so many options for bags is that there aren't many reviews out there for each bag

Also, found this this morning, and think it's quite relevant - there truly is an xkcd for everything:
11-02-2021, 05:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I had forgotten that XKCD, but it's so fitting indeed!

The internal specs of the backstory are 11.4” W x 14.6” H x 5.9” D (27 x 43 x 15 cm) for the main compartment, as per Think Tank's website. That's for the main pocket, and the top flap opens for the whole width IIRC. So 15 cm is your ref value.

11-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't seen Shimoda mentioned. Home
11-02-2021, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jack Quote
I haven't seen Shimoda mentioned. Home
Saw them. Expensive...

In the end, I've decided that I will order the Backstory 15 - it looks as though it should work by the measurements. It's not perfect, but it's probably as close as I'll get without spending over what I am prepared too.