Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Large Bag Recommendations

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

With the recent acquisitions of a KP and 150-450, I'm realizing that I'm going to need a bigger bag!

I'm looking for something to use to mainly transport gear when I'm travelling between home and university, and something I can use to carry just the KP and 150-450 "ready to shoot" so to speak. As such it needs to be fairly large, and if it can accommodate my laptop that's a definite bonus, meaning only one 'tech' bag to worry about when flying.

So gear to fit in:
KP with Grip
K-50
150-450
3-5 small lenses (10-17, 18-135, 21 Ltd as of now, but room for future)
Another large lens (a 70-200 perhaps - again for the future)
Flash
Batteries, chargers, straps, etc.

Laptop isn't really a requirement, but more a nice to have - it may be easier just to use a camera backpack as a carry on, and keeping a laptop sling bag as a personal item - as I have to carry a charger, various cables, hard drive, mouse, etc. But if a single backpack can carry it all - that would be great

Also needs to be able to take a water bottle and tripod - if it can take a tripod as carry on, that's a bonus, but really I'm thinking that would have to be inside the bag - and probably not fitting? Another thought is if I can find a bag small enough to count as a personal item, and take a regular carry on bag, therefore avoiding a checked bag altogether would be nice - but I'm not sure if that's physically possible

Some final points... it needs to have a good carrying system, back access is preferable. If it can carry a gripped KP with 150-450 hood out attached, in relatively quick access, that's a certain bonus - not for when carrying everything, but just so I can go out to the river biking rather than driving for example (as I don't have any sort of bag that can hold this combo, let alone comfortably).

Also, the less pricier, the better...

10-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
check this section:

Backpacks - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

especially

Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

QuoteQuote:

Description:

size:

exterior: 13.0 x 9.25 x 20.5"

interior: 12.0 x 6.5 x 19.5"

_______

5-year warranty

padded shoulder straps and waist strap, sternum strap and load lifters for shoulder straps

good buckles and zippers

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-06-2021 at 09:30 AM.
10-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd get a bag with "wheels"; that is a lot of stuff to carry!
10-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check the bag reviews here on Pentaxforums. For such a large lens, I'd suggest having a look at this:

Think Tank Urban Access 15 Review - Internal Design | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Organize the dividers to vet one long vertical section on one side, and you'd be good to go. Their "Backstory 15" would also work nicely.

Alternatively, do the same thing with the Peak Design Everyday Backpack :

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

10-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My recommendation is to rethink how much you want to carry. If you really need to take that much go with what Don said and get something wheeled. You might consider a Pelican case too, but it would be really large with all of that.
10-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack
I really don't like the front access only... but it's an option to consider.

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I'd get a bag with "wheels"; that is a lot of stuff to carry!
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
My recommendation is to rethink how much you want to carry. If you really need to take that much go with what Don said and get something wheeled. You might consider a Pelican case too, but it would be really large with all of that.
I'm carrying everything for transit between living locations - and hopefully doubling as a usable bag for outings with just the KP and 150-450 - hence the size.

Also no wheels - those are cumbersome when carrying and unneeded. As far as weight, I'm young and strong stupid... and I'm used to carrying far heavier loads for work and backpacking around here.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Check the bag reviews here on Pentaxforums. For such a large lens, I'd suggest having a look at this:

Think Tank Urban Access 15 Review - Internal Design | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Organize the dividers to vet one long vertical section on one side, and you'd be good to go. Their "Backstory 15" would also work nicely.
Looks a bit on the small side for everything.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Alternatively, do the same thing with the Peak Design Everyday Backpack :

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Interesting option, that looks like it would work fairly well (if it could be configured to have a top accessed column down the centre when having just the KP on the 150-450). But I have to complain about the price there... $400 is an awful lot more than what I was wanting to spend... maybe if I find a used one...

Something like the Tenba Axis 24L might do - I don't like the back tripod carry only however, as there'd be no way of a tripod going under a radar at the airport, unlike maybe in a side pocket like on the PD bag.
10-06-2021, 12:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought one of these a couple years ago and it has held up well and not badly priced. It also comes with a waist pack so if one needs to down size or carry more gear it can be done... It is big. The bottom compartment I usually configure to fit my D FA* 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 150-500mm.

amazon.com : Endurax Extra Large Camera DSLR/SLR Backpack for Outdoor Hiking Trekking with 15.6 Laptop Compartment : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-06-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I really don't like the front access only... but it's an option to consider.

I'm carrying everything for transit between living locations - and hopefully doubling as a usable bag for outings with just the KP and 150-450 - hence the size.

Also no wheels - those are cumbersome when carrying and unneeded. As far as weight, I'm young and strong stupid... and I'm used to carrying far heavier loads for work and backpacking around here.

Interesting option, that looks like it would work fairly well (if it could be configured to have a top accessed column down the centre when having just the KP on the 150-450). But I have to complain about the price there... $400 is an awful lot more than what I was wanting to spend... maybe if I find a used one.... . .

10-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I bought one of these a couple years ago and it has held up well and not badly priced. It also comes with a waist pack so if one needs to down size or carry more gear it can be done... It is big. The bottom compartment I usually configure to fit my D FA* 70-200 F2.8 & Sigma 150-500mm.

amazon.com : Endurax Extra Large Camera DSLR/SLR Backpack for Outdoor Hiking Trekking with 15.6 Laptop Compartment : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Interesting... though seems to a fair amount of negative reviews of poor construction. And the split camera compartment seems a little weird.

Too true!
10-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have two of the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW camera bags. I can fit my K-5 IIs fitted to my Sigma 150-500 for Pentax in it along with some batteries, other medium size lenses, and other accessories. If you were planning to fit more, like a larger lens along with one already on your camera, the Lowepro Flipside 500 AW II may possibly accommodate it, but you may want to check with the dealer first. Supposedly it is larger than my 400 AW models and will also fit a laptop. It also has a built in tripod holder (holder and strap, back) and the interior dimensions are 11.81 x 7.48 x 18.9". Lowepro makes nice, well built bags. Below is a shortcut to a listing for it (500 AW II) at B and H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1376627-REG/lowepro_lp37131_flipside_...CABEgIThfD_BwE

Below is a listing for the original 500 AW on ebay for a less expensive price. Its internal dimensions are 11.02 x 7.28 x 18.90 in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284203976295?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117...yABEgKMkfD_BwE

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-06-2021 at 03:24 PM.
10-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my medium size back pack is the Flipside 400

Lowepro Flipside 400 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

https://www.lowepro.com/global/flipside-400-aw-ii-lp37129-config/

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-06-2021 at 03:50 PM.
10-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You mention having the KP (without grip) and 150-450 packed for shooting. I have a KP and DA*300 that I carry in a Think Tank Digital Holster 30. It fits with the hood with room to spare. I may be too small or very snug for the 150-450, but they also make a larger one. I actually have a harness and strap it to my chest, it could also ride at your side. Obviously that does not solve all of your problem, but I wanted you to know that it is out there. Possible something like that could work inside of a backpack or duffel style bag with other equipment in individual cases. I myself do something similar for air travel, I have a Think Tank Turnstyle 10 sling bag that I put inside a backpack with the other things I'm taking, it takes about half or a little more of the backpack I have. I also have a padded bag from Cabelas that I've used a couple of times. It is sold as a fishing tackle bag, with no dividers, but a few pockets.

If you have any kind of real camera stores around, go look at them. There are just so many that you won't find someone with some of them, you may see something that really would work for you. I bought my first Think Tank Turnstyle bag after seeing a cheaper Promaster knockoff in a camera store.
10-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If you can find the old version Crumpler Karachi Outpost that loks like this: https://www.rei.com/product/786047/crumpler-karachi-outpost-camera-pack
It's been great for me. It has a detachable laptop sleeve, the whole padded interior comes out so you can use it as just a regular backpack. I have travelled a lot with it like that and it works as a carry-on. Its super comfortable and very well made. I've dragged mine all over the place and it still looks great and works perfectly. The tripod attachment point is centered which is nice for balancing.
10-06-2021, 07:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Kinesis is top notch equipment. Their stuff is modular. If you want to have the KP and 150-400 ready to shoot something like this Kinesis Long Lens Case might be what you are looking for. I would think a second bag to carry the normal kit would make sense instead of carrying everything in one bag.
10-07-2021, 04:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Urban Access 15 is the same size as the Peak Design 30L, the Wandrd Prvke, and most other "everyday" bags.

Interesting option, that looks like it would work fairly well (if it could be configured to have a top accessed column down the centre when having just the KP on the 150-450). But I have to complain about the price there... $400 is an awful lot more than what I was wanting to spend... maybe if I find a used one...
The PD bag might be organized by placing the dividers vertically to create a channel, with the Flexfold towards the edges.

Regarding price, well... There seems to be three pricing tiers. First, very basic or knock-off products sold on Amazon. Then, companies such as Lowepro who deliver adequate quality (I mean that word both in a positive and negative way) but rarely innovative solutions. Last, products such as those from Think Tank (and their Mindshift Gear sub-brand), Peak Design, Wandrd, a few others. Those always come at the top of the class regarding design, innovation, craftsmanship, warranty (they almost always offer a lifetime warranty). That has a price, but my humble opinion is that, quite often, it's worth it. For the quality design, of course, but also for the seamless way these companies honour their warranty. Plus companies such as Peak Design are part of initiatives such as 1% for the planet, making sure they work with ethical suppliers, etc.

My two cents.