Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera Slings

Anyone use these carriers from Cottoncarrier.com or something similar? I'm interested in the Skout G2 but just wondering how well they actually work before I take the plunge.

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/pages/camera-sling

10-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't used one, but I've looked at similar products before. I like that you just twist and pull to release, and it has the safety strap. I also like that the "hub" has a tripod screw hole, so you don't have to remove it to use on a tripod.

I ultimately decided I need something I can shed quickly. I use a cross body strap that quickly cinches up tight against the body to eliminate swing, but I can take the whole thing off and drop it in my bag in seconds. But I do have to take it off to use a tripod.
10-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What do you use?

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
Haven't used one, but I've looked at similar products before. I like that you just twist and pull to release, and it has the safety strap. I also like that the "hub" has a tripod screw hole, so you don't have to remove it to use on a tripod.

I ultimately decided I need something I can shed quickly. I use a cross body strap that quickly cinches up tight against the body to eliminate swing, but I can take the whole thing off and drop it in my bag in seconds. But I do have to take it off to use a tripod.
10-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a JOBY UltraFit Sling Strap and a JOBY Pro Sling Strap. I started with the UltraFit when it was a B&H deal of the day. Then I lost it for a couple years. I found the Pro on ebay and got it to replace the lost UltraFit. Then I found the lost UltraFit (it's always in the last place you look). So now I have two! They're functionally equivalent, but the pro's strap is more comfortable, so that's my go-to.

10-20-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are 575 ratings on www.amazon.com
10-20-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like it would move around quite a bit if you were hiking with it.
10-20-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Looks like it would move around quite a bit if you were hiking with it.
Yeah, not nearly as secure as a harness would be, but it's not like a Black Rapid where it's just dangling. You can cinch it up tight. Admittedly I don't do much hiking, but it's worked out for me on day hikes in places as varied as Alaska to Puerto Rico.

10-20-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dirwood Quote
Anyone use these carriers from Cottoncarrier.com or something similar? I'm interested in the Skout G2 but just wondering how well they actually work before I take the plunge.

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/pages/camera-sling
I recently received a G2 Skout, and I am pleased with the materials and the fit, it is very easy to set up. The harness is comfortable, and adjustable to suit most frames. The locking mechanism for attaching camera to harness is simple but secure.
I have not yet used it in the field, but I hope to do so this weekend.
10-20-2021, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
I have a JOBY UltraFit Sling Strap and a JOBY Pro Sling Strap. I started with the UltraFit when it was a B&H deal of the day. Then I lost it for a couple years. I found the Pro on ebay and got it to replace the lost UltraFit. Then I found the lost UltraFit (it's always in the last place you look). So now I have two! They're functionally equivalent, but the pro's strap is more comfortable, so that's my go-to.
I bought that Ultrafit on a B&H Deal too because for $15 an extra strap was nice, I use it as much as my more expensive Black Rapid slings. Both are good products and keep me from the neck pain I got with neck straps.
10-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was a similar thread a while back on the Peak Design product that is similar. The OP had an unfortunate accident and several suggestions were made to avoid such incidents, some product suggestions too. Good reading so you can avoid any pitfalls.
10-20-2021, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Do you prefer the camera on your chest, or on your hip à la the Spider Holster?
10-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Do you prefer the camera on your chest, or on your hip à la the Spider Holster?
Never heard of a Spider Holster...I will have to check it out. I've always just carried it with the neck strap and when I'm hiking, it can be a pain and bounce all over depending on the difficulty of the hike.
10-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
There was a similar thread a while back on the Peak Design product that is similar. The OP had an unfortunate accident and several suggestions were made to avoid such incidents, some product suggestions too. Good reading so you can avoid any pitfalls.
YIKES! Got to use those safety straps!!! That's also a reason I would steer clear of belt holster mounts. I don't trust them, and I don't know if they have safety straps. I like the chest mounted one the OP's considering as it does have a safety strap that seems secure and won't get in the way.

Just this morning I was using my trusty JOBY Pro and I guess I hadn't checked the torque on the mounting screw lately cause I was walking along and the camera dropped Were it not for my safety strap attached to the strap lugs, it would have taken a LONG roll down a steep set of concrete and asphalt stairs at a trail head. I'd probably still be curled in fetal position crying. The safety strap is the best $7 ever spent!