Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2021, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Wireless RF shutter release reviews for your consideration...

I have recently purchased two RF wireless shutter release units, and thought I would share my findings with the forum. The first is the JJC ďJM-IIĒ wireless remote, the other is the Pixel ďOppilasĒ. Both units have proven to be very good, and itís hard to pick a winner between the two. I found both on Amazon. The JJC version currently goes for about $20, while the Pixel version runs about $30. I cannot find anything serious to complain about, and it seems to me that this bit of camera gear represents a very high value for those who buy it.

The units comes with a receiver that you attach to your camera and a handheld transmitter (see illustration 1 which shows the Oppilas unit). You can choose from 16 channels to transmit over, allowing you a ton of flexibility using multiple units in the same area; one transmitter can even trigger multiple cameras. The receiver simply plugs into the remote cable release port on your camera, and then attaches to the flash hot shoe so itís fastened down. When I need the hot shoe for an external flash, I just use whatever I have available to fasten the receiver to my tripod: Velcro cable ties, widely available in the hardware section of your local ďmartĒ store, or anything else you can think of to keep the receiver from dangling and putting stress on the cable that connects it to your camera. The transmitter has a release button on it as well, turning it into a wired shutter release. To use the transmitter this way, you do not even need the batteries installed. By including this feature, the unit can effectively replace both a wired and an infrared shutter release. Considering the very limited range of an infrared release, and the fact that they have to be line of sight to the IR receiver on the camera, one of these wireless RF units really shines as a terrific value.

The handheld transmitters are just the right size for a pocket, but I worry about dropping the thing and loosing it. JJC thoughtfully designed a small ďloopĒ at the bottom that allowed me to attach a small keyring and a miniature carabiner from NiteIze (see illustration 2). The Oppilas transmitter is larger than some, but thatís OK as it makes it easier to hang on to. Pixelís transmitter features two small holes in the case near the shutter release button that allowed me to attach a very small keyring and then the same carabiner I used on the JJC (see illustration 1). One of the only complaints I have with the Oppilas is the fact that these holes are so small, I was lucky to find a ring that would fit through them. This little modification is very handy if you are shooting an event and have more than one camera set up using these remotes; I can clip them onto belt loops or other parts of clothing and trigger them quickly as needed without fumbling in a pocket.

The JM-II transmitter features three modes: Single shot, timer, and multi shot. The Oppilas features four modes: Single shot, multi shot, timer, and bulb. For the most part, I leave mine in single shot mode and Iím betting you will too, but experiment with the other modes; you will find using them in combination with your cameraís settings gives you extra functionality. The release button on the JM-II transmitter is ever so slightly recessed, making it less prone to accidentally being pressed, while not at all being difficult to use. This brings me to the only other ďcomplaintĒ I have with the Oppilas: the release button on the transmitter should be recessed slightly like the JJC. While I donít find myself accidentally setting it off all the time, it would certainly FEEL more secure to me if it were more like the JJC release. If I can find some sort of black plastic washer or machine bushing that could be carefully glued around the button, effectively recessing it a bit, Iíll probably try it. Again, this is both minor and subjective; others may like the design.

Batteries are included with both units. The JM-II uses widely available CR-2 and A23 batteries, and this helps keep the size of both transmitter and receiver smaller than the Oppilas. Because I donít use it all the time, I didnít want to leave the batteries in the unit constantly, for fear of leakage. I looked around for some small plastic container to house the batteries on their own, so if they leak, they destroy nothing. I found the perfect container in a miniature Vaseline tub, sold as ďlip therapyĒ, usually hidden on an endcap in the cosmetics aisle (see illustration 3). Throw away the product and keep the container, youíll just have to work a bit to remove all the grease. The Pixel Oppilas uses nice, standard AAA batteries. I havenít found the perfect container for 4 tripple Aís yet, so for now I just keep them wrapped up in a very small plastic bag when not in use.

Construction of the JJC JM-II is very ďplastickyĒ, and admittedly the battery door on the transmitter made me nervous about breakage at first, but I donít think itís going to snap apart in my hands anytime soon. Overall construction seems robust enough. The Pixel Oppilas feels like high quality plastic. Battery doors and other things donít feel like they are going to break right away, yet the whole thing holds together very well. Neither piece is disappointing in this regard, and Iím looking forward to having this gear for quite some time.

Range is where these two products really show their differences. Both are more than adequate, but the Oppilas is the clear winner. I tested both with a direct line of sight to the camera and no objects in between. The product specs on the JJC JM-II state 30 meters, or about 100 feet. The JM-II features an extendable antenna, and with the antenna collapsed, I got 50 feet of range. Extending the antenna got me to 150 feet or approximately 45 meters. The product specs for the Pixel Oppilas state 100+ meters, or about 350 feet or more. The antenna is entirely enclosed on the Oppilas. Testing it, I still had control of my K1 II as I walked past the specified 100 meter range, so I kept going. I had to walk off of my property, cross a road, and continue into a farmerís field. At around 450+ feet, I simply gave up. I can foresee no situation where I will need more range than this thing will provide. Of course, this was under ideal conditions with nothing at all between transmitter and receiver, but even assuming you got HALF of that range because of object interference, it should still be sufficient.

Finally, I wanted to have the whole kit in one place in my camera bag, and I found the ideal answer with a small hard-shell case originally designed for pocket cameras (see illustration 4). This small case cost under $10 and keeps all the parts in one central place and gives them some protection.

Conclusion: Overall, both are well designed and provide a great deal of value, especially if you add up the cost of a far less effective wireless infrared shutter release, as well as a wired one, as these units effectively do both jobs simultaneously and BETTER. I now own a couple of these to use with multi-camera setups at events, and so far Iíve had no problems. My personal preference now that Iíve used both? If I get any more, Iíll probably shell out the extra $10 and go with the Pixel Oppilas. While Iím not QUITE as fond of the release button or the small holes I used to get that clip attached, I like the construction a little bit better; the plastic simply SEEMS to be better quality and less breakable. The fact that there is no extendable antenna to break off or need to fiddle with is also a plus, and I like the idea of standard AAA batteries. And the range, oh wow, the RANGE. Honestly, however, my gripes of either of these units are MINOR. I LIKE the JJC unit very much, just as I like the Pixel. Reality is, either one of these will be a very useful addition to your camera bag. Each has itís strong points, and I doubt either one will disappoint.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
11-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did not look up the JJC unit, would like to confirm that you reviewed the Pixel Opillas/E3 for cameras using the Canon convention for wired remotes (LINK)

I am also curious about the different modes. I am used to simple half/full press and nothing else.

Steve
11-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using the Pixel Pro TW-283 remote shutter for a while now. Found it to be a very good choice for those who find the Pentax IR remotes less than ideal. Many features have been useful to me such as continuous shooting, half press to focus, etc.
The only caveat is that the supplied receiver-camera cable has a right angle on the 2.5mm camera end and it needs to be aligned perfectly on my K-3. Just turning it a little each way forces the plug to disconnect. I fixed this by ordering a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable that has straight connectors on both ends.
amazon.com : Pixel TW-283 E3 Wireless Shutter Release Cable Wired Remote Control Compatible Compatible for Canon XT XTi XS XSi T1i T2i T3 T3i T4i T5 T5i T6i SL1 EOS1300D 300D 60D 60Da 70D 80D : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
11-02-2021, 04:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Prices seem to have risenÖ $29 / $39 now. Still seems worth it. And it will resolve one of My annoyances with the KP.

11-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using the JCC for about a year, I honestly am afraid to attach it to my new K70 that I recently bought to replace the fried K70 I posted here: K70 took a SWAN dive - PentaxForums.com
I just don't know if the shutter block was toasted by a electrical jolt from the JCC or not. Other than that fear I did like using the JCC except for the weird battery's. BTW those are pricey compared to some 2or3a's. It just seems silly that you have to have 2 different kinds of batteries to do the same thing that could be accomplished with some AA or AAA's. It did work well, it did what they claimed it would do! Also it has allot of capabilities that the Pentax can't do.
I do like the size as it fits in your had or pocket nicely, and the distance that it will fire your camera is in my opinion extremely far, I have tripped it at more than 250' away. (shooting a Moose) Sadly mine didn't come with the neat little zippered bag that you show here.
SO...should I still be afraid to use this JCC on my new K70?
11-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I did not look up the JJC unit, would like to confirm that you reviewed the Pixel Opillas/E3 for cameras using the Canon convention for wired remotes (LINK)

I am also curious about the different modes. I am used to simple half/full press and nothing else.

Steve
I'm sorry, I guess the actual model number for the unit that I got is PXL-RW-221 E3. Looks the same to me and fits all the right cameras according to the specs. My bad, should have included that bit of info. Anyway, as I'm remembering it from when I played with those different modes, single shot does just what you would expect a cable release to do. Multi-shot AUTOMATICALLY presses your shutter button 3 times. Possibly useful in the right situation, but only if your exposure is fast enough that the camera will "see" all three "button presses". Bulb mode is interesting. As I recall on the Pixel, using that mode simply HOLDS the shutter button down essentially, until you hit the button again to release it. If I'm wrong on this one I'm not far off, I'll have to play with it again to be sure. I remember thinking this mode had possibilities, but still was not likely to be something I would use much. The timer function just gives you a built in self timer, I forget the delay time. This struck me as the most useful (for most people anyway) of the modes.

Like I said, they all have possibilities, especially when combined with similar settings in you camera. Experiment and you'll get ideas how it might be useful for you.

---------- Post added 11-02-21 at 02:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Prices seem to have risenÖ $29 / $39 now. Still seems worth it. And it will resolve one of My annoyances with the KP.
Just checked...still $29 for the one I got.

amazon.com : Wireless Remote Shutter Compatible for Canon, PIXEL Timer Remote Control Shutter Release Cable RW-221 E3 Compatible with Canon Eos Camera 60D 70D 77D 80D : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 11-02-21 at 03:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
I have been using the JCC for about a year, I honestly am afraid to attach it to my new K70 that I recently bought to replace the fried K70 I posted here: K70 took a SWAN dive - PentaxForums.com
I just don't know if the shutter block was toasted by a electrical jolt from the JCC or not. Other than that fear I did like using the JCC except for the weird battery's. BTW those are pricey compared to some 2or3a's. It just seems silly that you have to have 2 different kinds of batteries to do the same thing that could be accomplished with some AA or AAA's. It did work well, it did what they claimed it would do! Also it has allot of capabilities that the Pentax can't do.
I do like the size as it fits in your had or pocket nicely, and the distance that it will fire your camera is in my opinion extremely far, I have tripped it at more than 250' away. (shooting a Moose) Sadly mine didn't come with the neat little zippered bag that you show here.
The hardshell case was an Amazon find as well, $7. I use them to hold lots of little gear, basically turning my camera bag into a modular affair.

As far as the fear of the thing. I DOUBT it did anything to your previous camera, but obviously I can't be 100% on that. I'm about 99.998%, but can't be 100 lol. If the thing WAS capable of sending raw voltage to the shutter release port, the MAX it could get is 3 volts. I have no idea how sensitive that subsystem in a Pentax IS, but I know I've accidentally sent more voltage to circuits that shouldn't have it on other things I've torn apart, and they handled it fine. Yes I should be more careful, but hey it was fun 😀. Anyway, if you are handy with a multimeter you could just do some checking at the plug-tip that would go into the camera. If I'm thinking right, you should see ZERO volts there, EVER. All it should do is quickly provide continuity between the different barrel contacts on the plug. Think about it: a wired shutter release cable has no power, the button just closes the circuit on the plug's contacts. The battery in these wireless remotes is there to operate the reciever and to close a solid-state relay, which temporarily connects the contacts for that plug.

All this being said, if there IS some bizarre defect in your unit, theoretically it would be possible for that relay to do more than just close a circuit; it COULD have a defect where it was sending some voltage too. I doubt it, but it could. Even if it was, I don't think it would be capable of dumping the entire content of the battery into your camera without being completely disabled itself.

Electrical engineers are welcome to comment...🤔
Good luck. Unless someone can come up with a good reason not to, I'd plug it in.
11-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VariousThingsAndStuf Quote
Just checked...still $29 for the one I got.
Your initial post said about $20 and about $30 for the two items. I was posting the current price of both thinking they were originally closer to the low $20ís and $30ís. In any case these seem still worth the cost of entry.

---------- Post added 11-02-21 at 09:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
I just don't know if the shutter block was toasted by a electrical jolt from the JCC or not.

Ö

Do you have a voltage meter? You might try testing to see if various settings on the unit cause unusual surges in voltage at the tips. Honestly I might just toss it and buy a new one in the assumption that others have used it without an issue and your unit could be defective. Itís certainly cheap enough.

11-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VariousThingsAndStuf Quote
'm sorry, I guess the actual model number for the unit that I got is PXL-RW-221 E3.
On the Pixel Web site, the two appear to be the same, just different labeling...

Oppilas-RW-221-??Pixel|???????????|LED???|?????|???

Steve
11-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for that report, interesting certainly!
11-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Your initial post said about $20 and about $30 for the two items. I was posting the current price of both thinking they were originally closer to the low $20ís and $30ís. In any case these seem still worth the cost of entry.

---------- Post added 11-02-21 at 09:48 PM ----------

Do you have a voltage meter? You might try testing to see if various settings on the unit cause unusual surges in voltage at the tips. Honestly I might just toss it and buy a new one in the assumption that others have used it without an issue and your unit could be defective. Itís certainly cheap enough.
Yes, thank you, I will have to check that out. Follow-up to come...
11-03-2021, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
On the Pixel Web site, the two appear to be the same, just different labeling...

Oppilas-RW-221-??Pixel|???????????|LED???|?????|???

Steve
Looks to me now that I study it more, the model number is RW-221, and any added suffix indicates the plug type. Look at the designations above the various camera plug types in the picture about halfway down the page. I never bothered to research this deeply lol. Anyway, had I been thinking I would have included a link to each company's product website. Hey, it's my first review 🤗!