Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2021, 09:13 AM   #1

Flash Trigger

Can anyone suggest a flash trigger?
Have a various flashes collected over the years-Pentax-Vivitar-Metz-Olympus. Use on K5lls & K3ii

11-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #2

Trigger

Doporučuji Cactus
11-03-2021, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a generic trigger that works well with Pentax cameras, I am fond to the Yonguo RF603N II. These come is a set of two and have a contact pattern and protocol dedication appropriate for Nikon which is much preferred over the Canon version* and just happens to be similar to the Pentax pattern. These are available with a remote shutter cable for either Nikon 10-pin or DC2. If you also have a Nikon, order the version that makes sense for your camera.

What makes these cool?
  • Just simply works
  • With the appropriate cable, may be used for remote shutter release. (Order the Yongnuo LS-2.5/C1 or similar separately.)
  • While the receiver unit's top shoe is specific to the Nikon dedication protocol, it will also wake up Pentax protocol flashes.
  • Is broadly brand-agnostic flash-wise as a receiver.**
  • The top shoe on the camera-mounted transmitter is functional, though not as a pass-through. Instead it "talks" Nikon in the same manner as when used as a remote trigger.
  • Compatible with Yongnuo controllers and wireless-capable Yongnuo speedlights. Note that while the RF603N II does support 16 channels, it has no notion of groups.

I have used these along with a YN560TX II on-camera controller with a mix of controlled YN560 III flash and various vintage manual flash triggered by RF603N II. Great fun.

Steve

* I have never tried the Canon-flavored RF603C II, but have heard various stories regarding compatibility. The Canon contact pattern is significantly from Pentax and one thing is for sure...slip it backward on to the shoe of your Pentax dSLR and a spring-loaded pin will drop into the lock hole on the camera's shoe (requires destructive removal of RF603C II). Other users have reported poor compatibility. I figure it is easiest to simply recommend the Nikon-flavor version.

** There is potential for cross-talk with the non-center contacts with some Pentax-protocol flashes such that the flash will not fire in manual mode. In that case, mount the flash reversed on the receiver's top shoe so that it provides center-contact only.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-03-2021 at 05:24 PM.
11-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For a generic trigger that works well with Pentax cameras, I am fond to the Yonguo RF603N II
Very affordable and reliable. Highly recommend these as well.

11-04-2021, 05:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If all you want is manual triggering, then almost anything will do. Indeed Yongnuo is pretty good, inexpensive and just works. Godox also makes dumb triggers, and Amazon is full o them.

If you want TTL (at least with your Pentax and Metz flashes) then you could look at Godox's X1T and X2T triggers. More expensive, but they can relay the TTL signals to your flashes, which can be pretty useful.
11-04-2021, 06:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second Steve Brot's suggestion of the Yongnuo remotes. You can see some more details on using these in this thread: AF 540 FGZ remote triggering - Feature, failure, or User Error? - PentaxForums.com

And, best of all, they are still on sale at Adorama: https://www.adorama.com/ynrf603iin1.html? ($20 per pair; I have no relation to Adorama, just a happy user of these)
11-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the Cactus V6II units a lot. I have a couple of Pocketwizards, but rarely use them. The Godox ones are good with their strobes.

11-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For a generic trigger that works well with Pentax cameras, I am fond to the Yonguo RF603N II.
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
Very affordable and reliable. Highly recommend these as well.
I was playing around with the advanced feature of the RF603N II and was surprised with what I found. Those little TX/RX units have sophisticated logic that is the king pin of Yongnuo's radio trigger universe. I was wondering why my controller had a setting for whether to use RF603 II protocol and now I know.

I will follow up with a new thread demonstrating at least one RF603 II amazing trick.

Steve