Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Tripod head with sticky tilt

I have a 3 way Monfrotto tripod head, model MH804-3W which has a sticky tilt motion. It jumps (moves too much) when I try to do a fine adjustment.
It can be frustrating!

I would welcome any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Bill.

11-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bill.mc Quote
I have a 3 way Monfrotto tripod head, model MH804-3W which has a sticky tilt motion. It jumps (moves too much) when I try to do a fine adjustment.
It can be frustrating!

I would welcome any suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks,
Bill.
Manfrotto is famous for rough, badly finished castings. Take the head apart, polish the castings until they are baby bottom smooth, and then reassemble the head. Use a lube like TriFlo, which is a Teflon based lubricant on the moving parts.
11-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

You need a good damping grease:

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-07-2021 at 05:41 PM.
11-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.
Looks like I will have to pull it apart.

If I cannot source a teflon based grease, are there any alternatives (like silicon or lithium based) that would do?

11-08-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your replies.

If I cannot source a teflon based grease, are there any alternatives (like silicon or lithium based) that would do?
Try a fishing shop. Drag grease is used in maintaining reels.
11-09-2021, 01:53 AM   #6

Graphite, i.e pencil lead can be a good dry lubricant for poss use in this instance
11-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for your replies.

Go with the drag grease that was suggested above. Triflo will make things super slippery, drag grease will make things run smoothly but will provide a little damping to movement, which will make careful positioning possible.
Also, don't forget that with Pentax you have the composition adjust tool built into the camera. This is a great tool for dialing precise composition.

11-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #8

Here's the Australia office of Nye Lubricants. They don't have the Nyogel PG-44a (used in the videos) listed but you can contact them to see if there is a dealer that carries it or can special order it for you. Tripods is listed as one of the applications on Nye's website.

There's some sellers on eBay Australia that have the Nyogel 767a damping grease but that only has an NLGI index of 3 vs 5 for the PG-44a.
11-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
I think I have some reel grease at home, as well as some very fine honing tape.

But I have just arrived in New Zealand, so will have to source something locally. I should have addressed this problem earlier!

Will look out for some drag grease, I was also thinking maybe something from a bicycle shop might do the job if the first option isn't readily available, or try the pencil option...

Thanks for all the suggestions.