Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2021, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which peak design strap?

Christmas is coming and I want to put a peak design strap on the list, but which one do you guys recommend? I never use a lens larger than the 55-300mm on my KP & K3, most of the time it is a small prime or 20-40mm limited. I am presuming it will be either the slide lite or the leash but I don't want to ask for the wrong one, so, from your experience, which should I ask for?

11-13-2021, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Christmas is coming and I want to put a peak design strap on the list, but which one do you guys recommend? I never use a lens larger than the 55-300mm on my KP & K3, most of the time it is a small prime or 20-40mm limited. I am presuming it will be either the slide lite or the leash but I don't want to ask for the wrong one, so, from your experience, which should I ask for?
I use the Slide on all four camera bodies and love it, even though I only have APS-C bodies...

I also have the thinner Leash, which is Fuji-centric, but still tend to use the full-size Slide....
11-13-2021, 12:46 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Between slide lite and leash, I would choose the slide lite.

My daughter started out using the leash with a K-3 and 18-135mm. We upgraded to a slide lite which is more substantial than the leash for that combination. The leash is like a really long cuff.

The image contains the following Peak Design straps from top to bottom:
  1. Slide (Original?)
  2. Slide Lite
  3. Leash
  4. Cuff

I too use the slide with most all of my cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
TG-4  Photo 
11-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My wife and I use the Peak Design straps. Linda uses the cuff on her Nikon bridge camera and I have no problem with it on the occasions I use her camera. Initially, I used the original Slide on one of my APS-C cameras but felt it was possibly unnecessarily wide, so I bought a Slide Lite. Later on, the strap on my bag(holds a camera and lens + 1 further lens and a few accessories) started to fail so I replaced it with the original Slide and bought a second Slide Lite for use on my second camera. Largest lenses are Pentax HD DA 55-300mm, or similar, and Tamron 10-24mm UWA..

Altogether I have 5 APS-C bodies one of which still has the original Pentax strap. Of the other 4, I only ever carry two at a time so I have all the bodies equipped with Anchor Links and swap the straps as necessary. Personally, for my uses, I think the original slide is too wide and this occasionally makes packing the camera into a bag segment a little harder as it is stiffer than the Lite version. Only a minor point, though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nicolpa47; 11-13-2021 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added lens info
11-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd go for the Slide. Your shoulder will thank you for it on a long day out. If not, then the Slide Lite over the Leash.

I couple the Slide with the Cuff. If I'm out with say the DFA 70-200 or 150-450 the Slide is definitely the go. If I then swap temporarily to a small lens, I leave the Big Guy on the strap and use the camera/small-lens with the cuff. The anchors make the swap easy.
11-13-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

Peak design straps are quite short so they are not for everyone. I use Eddycam strap (45mm version) with K3 and I have attached Peak Design anchor links to the strap. Works great.
11-15-2021, 01:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. The slide was my initial thought but then, like @nicolpa47 said, when I travel, I don't have much space. I need both don't I

11-15-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If the load is light, as you present it, I'd go with the Slide Lite simply because it's easierr to store and stash away.

That being said, even though I really like the Peak Design straps (and products in general), my preference goes for the Capture Clip. It freed me from using a strap, I just build a custom-made hand stabilizer (don't like the Clutch). The Cuff could be a good choice too. If you want to read a bit about both:

Peak Design Cuff, Slide Lite and Field Pouch - Light And Matter
11-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am using slide on K-3 Mk III, earlier used leash but I found K-3/3 to be too heavy for such thin strap during summer, after longer walk it was uncomfortable. Wider strap means better weight distribution, though it is also most rigid especially in the middle where the "keep in place" rubber part is added. So it is also irritating when I have camera in hand and strap is just hanging down.

Downside for me is that all PD straps are really uncomfortable when used in "traditional" way with camera hanging at your neck. There is something about the edges that feel too hard for me.
11-15-2021, 01:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

That being said, even though I really like the Peak Design straps (and products in general), my preference goes for the Capture Clip. It freed me from using a strap, I just build a custom-made hand stabilizer (don't like the Clutch).
I bought the Capture Clip, but am yet to find a use for it. The K1 with most lenses is too heavy to be comfortable on a belt. The KP may be more workable. However, I find it extremely difficult to slot the camera into it. Sometimes it might go in first try, but often it takes many.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 11-15-2021 at 01:30 PM.
11-16-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I bought the Capture Clip, but am yet to find a use for it. The K1 with most lenses is too heavy to be comfortable on a belt. The KP may be more workable. However, I find it extremely difficult to slot the camera into it. Sometimes it might go in first try, but often it takes many.
I have one on the side of my Sling and Messenger, both Peak Design (rarely use the messenger now, but use the sling a lot). I have one on my everyday backpack, and one on my hiking backpack, both on the shoulder straps.

Walking around town with the sling and the camera attached and ready to go is extremely convenient.

Traveling for a few days with my everyday backpack, the camera is within easy reach at all times. Same when hiking, even though I use a very convenient Mindshift Gear rotation180, having the camera always at the ready makes a big difference.
11-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #12
Closed Account

Thanks guys. The slide was my initial thought but then, like @nicolpa47 said, when I travel, I don't have much space. I need both don't I
Well let us know how you get on: I've dabbled with the thought of a lot of Peak Design stuff from straps to rucksacs because I like the detail and design behind it but never actually bought any because it doesn't quite suit how I like to carry stuff, I'd just try it but it's quality is reflected in the cost, so just trying is a potentially costly option. I also had a lot of difficulty finding stuff to look at in the flesh, which I'm still prone to do, online vids and reviews are only useful to a point.

As for straps, I tried a cheap wrist leash, which works if I'm not changing lenses, I tried rigging my Pentax strap on a couple of mini karabiners so I could take it on and off but overall I just found using the Pentax strap around my neck for lens changes and occasional carry and twisted around my wrist for carry security still works best for me and my lens combos, as my camera still spends most of it's time at arms length, held by the thumb and hand grip, as the image below perfectly illustrates. My K5 and DA21 dangling at arms length. I will happily carry my biggest lens the 70-200 Tamron in the same way, though I might grip the lens occasionally rather than the camera.

Edit; and I meant to say, slide lite as already recommended, would be my choice.

Last edited by 3by2; 11-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.
11-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'd go for the Slide. Your shoulder will thank you for it on a long day out. If not, then the Slide Lite over the Leash.

I couple the Slide with the Cuff. If I'm out with say the DFA 70-200 or 150-450 the Slide is definitely the go. If I then swap temporarily to a small lens, I leave the Big Guy on the strap and use the camera/small-lens with the cuff. The anchors make the swap easy.
my choice, too (the Slide); the wider, better on your shoulder. Down side is certain things won't attach to the really widest straps, like lens cap keepers and battery/filter pouches.

Last edited by InnAtElmwood; 11-16-2021 at 09:21 AM.
11-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have one of each. Based on your post I’d recommend the Slide Lite. I bought the Slide when I carried a K3 II with battery grip. I use the Slide but only when toting a heavy lens on camera like the DA* 300 or DFA 85mm f1.4. The leash seldom gets used since I can’t get an anchor on a GR iii.
11-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete82 Quote
Peak design straps are quite short so they are not for everyone. I use Eddycam strap (45mm version) with K3 and I have attached Peak Design anchor links to the strap. Works great.
Which PD straps are you referring to as short? I’m 6’1” and used the Slide Lite on my K5/Sigma 18-55/2.8. Crossbody, fully extended, the camera was riding nicely on my right hip.