Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2021, 09:13 AM   #16

Absolutely Slide! I was using original Pentax strap with K-r and Tamron 70-300 and felt it all the time - heavy staff :-). Now I am using slide with K3 with grip and Sigma 18-300 (quite heavy) and even on the long walks (my flat coated retriever loves long walks, so do I, I have do choice :-) ) I have no feeling of carrying something heavy.

11-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #17
Lev
Veteran Member

None of the PeakDesign straps are appealing to me because of their "design" to include metal parts in their straps. Guess why it is bad idea to have camera/lens/strap w/metal parts combo in a bag.
11-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None. I use Lucky Straps out of Australia. Better design and more comfortable. Wide variety to choose from.
11-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Thanks guys. The slide was my initial thought but then, like @nicolpa47 said, when I travel, I don't have much space. I need both don't I
Just to clarify, for an APS-C camera and lens, I think the Slide Lite is fine. For something heavier, the Slide may be more comfortable. I use the Slide on a bag which holds my "walkabout" kit - One body and two lenses plus accessories. I don't find the length to be short, but it is readily adjusted, and nor do I find the edges of the webbing hard or sharp. The stiffened section of the Slide is not easy to get to fit into a restricted space which is one of the main reasons I prefer the Lite version.

I have the anchor links fitted to three points on most of my cameras in order to make carrying two cameras that little bit easier. I have a Capture Clip, but don't often use it I think it's secure enough but locking the camera into place is not always as easy as it looks and I'm not sure that some body movements don't put stress on the camera/lens if the clip is used on a belt. Best perhaps used on backpack straps, but those on my backpack don't really allow for the clip.

11-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
None of the PeakDesign straps are appealing to me because of their "design" to include metal parts in their straps. Guess why it is bad idea to have camera/lens/strap w/metal parts combo in a bag.
Sorry, you've lost me. I have no idea.
11-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I have one on the side of my Sling and Messenger, both Peak Design (rarely use the messenger now, but use the sling a lot). I have one on my everyday backpack, and one on my hiking backpack, both on the shoulder straps.

Walking around town with the sling and the camera attached and ready to go is extremely convenient.

Traveling for a few days with my everyday backpack, the camera is within easy reach at all times. Same when hiking, even though I use a very convenient Mindshift Gear rotation180, having the camera always at the ready makes a big difference.
I own three versions and I’ve forgotten what each is called. I think of them as the Goldilocks story - each fits a different purpose. The lightest works really well with m43 gear or the KP with a light lens. The middle ones works well with the KP or K-3 and a larger lens like the 50-135. The seatbelt sized strap is only needed with really large lenses like the 60-250 - even then it is almost overkill.

I also have the clip. I’ve struggled with it. I can make it work using m43 gear, but apsc and full frame haven’t felt right. I too used it on a belt. I tried on backpack straps but struggled. I’d love to see some shots of it attached to gear and hope some get posted here.
11-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I also have the clip. I’ve struggled with it. I can make it work using m43 gear, but apsc and full frame haven’t felt right. I too used it on a belt. I tried on backpack straps but struggled. I’d love to see some shots of it attached to gear and hope some get posted here.
Here are a few examples.

If you want to see the camera attached to clips on various bags, I can find something for you also.

11-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

@Cerebum; I recently got the the PD Slide and was actually pretty underwhelmed... The quick release are certainly a really nice part of the strap, and I much prefer them to buckle clips... but apart from that it's an over hyped strap. It's comfortable enough, I got the Slide version specifically for carrying the 150-450. That being said it's plenty at home and not too big for just the KP and DA 21 - which is my favourite walk around combo, and if I recall correctly, you quite like that combo as well. Downsides are it's bulky in the bag, and it adjusts length getting longer on it's own all the time... Really apart from the quick release fancy lug things, there's no improvement over the $5 luggage strap I used with the 150-450 before.

If you're planning on leaving it attached to a camera semi-permanently I wouldn't actually recommend the PD strap, but I often switch between strap and no strap for various things, so the PD strap sort of makes it work for me.
11-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Denver Quote
None. I use Lucky Straps out of Australia. Better design and more comfortable. Wide variety to choose from.
I just looked at those, and they look really nice along with tough! Great reviews too.
11-17-2021, 02:45 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some good advice here I am glad I asked I currently have £5 eBay specials on my cameras and I find I am checking them every time I go out so I need something secure. I don't want anything too big though so I have asked santa for the slide lite. What I like about this is the mix and match possibilities. Yep @bertwerd I do love my limiteds
11-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Here are a few examples.

If you want to see the camera attached to clips on various bags, I can find something for you also.
Thank you. I have a mindshift rotation 180 also and that does help me understand the positioning you’re using. What’s the largest gear combo that you are comfortable using with that? Take comfortable to mean both physical comfort and feeling like the gear is safe.
11-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheRealMrBlue Quote
Which PD straps are you referring to as short? I’m 6’1” and used the Slide Lite on my K5/Sigma 18-55/2.8. Crossbody, fully extended, the camera was riding nicely on my right hip.
I'm 189cm or 6'2" tall and the 155cm Eddycam strap fully extended with the anchor links (total ~160cm) is just perfect for me.

According to this review the real length of PD Slide is 142cm which is short for my liking.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/accessories/peak-design-slide-vs-slide-lite-vs-leash/

I wear it cross body on my hip as well but I like to wear it bit lower it seems. I have used a 145cm strap before and it felt a bit restricting to me.

Eddycam has also 200cm straps for tall people.
11-18-2021, 12:04 AM   #28
Pentaxian

About hip height is good for general walking, but when scrambling through bush, bringing it up higher and tighter to the body is best. The PD strap is easily adjustable for this.
11-18-2021, 12:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also tend to go for the wrap around the wrist (with the standard Pentax strap) when out walking, but since getting my KP found it hard to get both comfortable and secure. Found it best with the medium grip. Solution for me was the PD clutch. This works fine for me and lets me keep the small grip on the kp. I did consider the Pentax version but just couldn’t get one so went for the PD instead.
11-18-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thank you. I have a mindshift rotation 180 also and that does help me understand the positioning you’re using. What’s the largest gear combo that you are comfortable using with that? Take comfortable to mean both physical comfort and feeling like the gear is safe.
Personally, the largest I've done (and I did it quite often) is a K-1 with a 28-105 lens. That has never been a hindrance.

I do have a Think Tank camera clip adapter, which goes on the belt. With that I've successfully carried the K-1 with 60-250. But not for long periods. When using the 60-250 I usually use a Slide Strap.

When using a backpack, I position the Capture Clip right above the chest harness' attachment point.