Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hate to disagree, but...

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
You have nothing to compare the katzeye to, so technically you wouldn't know whether you do actually get what you pay for.
I do have something to use for pre/post comparison -- the previous Pentax focus screen. Contrasing the two, I can state without reservation the Katzeye is a signifigant improvement and is, therefore, worth what I paid for it. Notice I didn't say it was better than any other after-market product, just that it was an excellent product and worth the cost,
Brian

12-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I ordered a Katzeye a few days ago and will post on this site my impressions. I am a nit-picky consumer, so you can be sure I will give a nit-picky review (especially when I paid a premium price).

Steve

(Plain Jane, no OptiBright, No AF Brackets, No Grid/Crop Lines...just like my old film camera...)
12-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #33

Just got a katzeye screen for my K10 today. As with stevebrot above, I ordered it plain-jane, no opti-bright or gridlines. I do kind of wish it didn't have the large black circle on it, but I can deal with it (look at the image on their website to see what I mean).

It shipped surprisingly fast. Ordered it on the 10th and they listed a 2-5 day manufacturing time, but it ended up shipping the next day and arrived this afternoon.

Installation was pretty easy. When you place the order Katzeye emails you a nicely detailed pdf file with installation instructions for your camera. The tool it shipped with was a little difficult to use, but no real problems, took maybe 2 minutes to change out. Would have been faster but I was nervous about closing it back up as it didn't seem like the screen was sitting properly (but it was).

My initial impression unfortunately wasn't "oh my god that's so much brighter!" but maybe I expected too much. I didn't get the opti-bright treatment after all. It is a little brighter, just not as bright as my old Minolta X-700 (again, maybe I shouldn't have hoped for as much). It does seem a little more contrasty and sharper than the Minolta though, but there could be various factors that effect that. There is definitely a tighter focus snap. With the OEM screen it seemed like there was a good amount of play in the lens before you really could see the focus change on the screen. Not nearly as much with the Katzeye screen.

Was it worth $100? Well, as I've been using MF the majority of the time recently I've grown aggravated with slightly OOF shots because the above-mentioned focus-play. So yes, very much worth the cost.
12-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The KatzEye is worth every dime if you focus manually a lot as I do.

Cheers

Tom G

12-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About three years ago I purchased a split-screen from Virtual Village for about $22. I had recently purchased a DS, it was my initial transition from film, and I was not happy about the relatively tiny viewfinders.
Since then I've bought and sold a K10D and now have a K20D, and for each upgrade I've reinstalled the same split-screen.
About half my work involves manual focusing and this screen is very good. I've considered a Katz -eye upgrade, but I like the bargain of what I have. I would highly recommend any kind of split screen, especially for shooters in their 5th decade: not only are our eyes in need of help, but many of us were "spoiled" by SLR finders, which is still my standard for a viewfinder.

M
12-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Posted my review

Hi,
I took delivery on the 13th and had a chance to play with the Katzeye a little yesterday. My initial impressions are posted here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/44163-katzeye-focu...tml#post420281
12-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Hmmmm ... it seems like it is worth the $$$$ for one.
I know what you mean though with the odd OOF images with the standard K10D screen.
As I used manual more and more on my K10D ... I think it might be on the upgrade list.

12-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #38
Veteran Member

So I got my $27 ebay focus screen and it does what it's supposed to. One side of the split prism does black out around f8 but a slight adjustment of your face/eye and it's visible again. From what I read though, I can't see how the katz eye screen can be 3 times better since it costs 3+ times more...
Truthfully, I really don't see the point of it though. As soon as I focus on a subject, the RED confirmation square comes on to tell me I'm focused anyway so what is the point of the screen again? Maybe I have to play around with it more...
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I really don't see the point of it though. As soon as I focus on a subject, the RED confirmation square comes on to tell me I'm focused anyway
You're trusting a false friend. The red square is NOT the focus confirmation indicator. It comes on to inform you which AF point the camera is using. The green hexagon at the bottom of the display is the focus confirmation indicator.
12-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #40
Veteran Member

No, the red confirmation square and the camera beep come on when the image is in focus, as does the green hexagon.
12-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #41
Inactive Account

As soon as I focus on a subject, the RED confirmation square comes on to tell me I'm focused anyway so what is the point of the screen again? Maybe I have to play around with it more...
What Mike said ... and sometimes I want to focus on subjects the camera either doesn't want to or can't focus on. Manual focus means the photographer is in charge of the focus and the Katz-eye (or other split screens) will assist to make the focus perfect.

I agree it doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.
12-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
Inactive Account

No, the red confirmation square and the camera beep come on when the image is in focus, as does the green hexagon.
Not on my K10D. The red square flashes prior to the green hex lighting up and the beep.
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #43
Veteran Member

on the k100 he red square and the beep pop up as soon as you are in focus and then go away leaving only the green hex which stays the entire time you are in focus. I can't disable the red sqare either cause that disables SR. Why does the red square pop up before it's focused on the k10d? To tell you that you're almost in focus? Seems pointless...
12-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I wear glasses all the time, and was having a problem with manual focus lenses.
I purchased a Pentax Magnifying eyepiece, plus a $30 split focussing screen and am very happy with results.
Have been keeping a Katz-eye in the back of my mind, but at the price am thinking
"only when it is totally necessary".

Oh forgot. all this is on a k10d.
12-20-2008, 06:44 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Yes....I know that they both come on. But if you will pay careful attention you will notice that the red indicator and the green hex don't both come on at exactly the same point. You can have the red without the green and be just a weeeeee bit out of optimal focus.

As I said, the red square indicates which AF point is being used and the green hex indicates focus confirmation.

If you don't want to take my word for it.....dig up your manual.