Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
That's a pretty nice bit of kit ... I like the RS-2 as well.

12-11-2008, 05:42 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
If you want something that feels better than the around the neck option with most straps, consider a bino/cam harness. Weight is placed better around the body.
12-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, quick question: what do new K20ds come with, anyway? Skinny little thing, or maybe a web thing with a logo?
12-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure the k20d comes with the same padded strap as the k10d, it's about 1.25 inches wide and reasonably comfortable.

12-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I'm pretty sure the k20d comes with the same padded strap as the k10d, it's about 1.25 inches wide and reasonably comfortable.
You are correct. It's the same strap. Personally I wish they would offer something more "professional" looking.
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Not that I know for sure what came with the *10d,* but I think I get the idea. Sounds OK. (Actually, this strap will probably end up on ME Super I got hold of, I was just shifting things around and realized I was a bit short of straps. Got something for the K20, though. )
12-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Saw a Matin Neoprene strap selling relatively inexpensive. Is this any good?

12-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I use a Matin neoprene strap, and I've found it way better than the original K10D strap. The original strap isn't too bad for short periods of time, but I found that after having it around your neck for more than a few hours at a time, because of the thinness, and type of material, it'll start digging into your skin and become really uncomfortable. On the other hand, the Matin is made of neoprene and is a lot thicker and softer, and I've had a recent holiday where I had the camera around my neck almost all of the time, and my neck was still feeling comfortable at the end of it.
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If the camera/lens combo is heavy (eg. with a 70-200/f2.8), will the matin strap sorta make the camera/lens bounce up and down...since neoprene tend to stretch?
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
If the camera/lens combo is heavy (eg. with a 70-200/f2.8), will the matin strap sorta make the camera/lens bounce up and down...since neoprene tend to stretch?
I'm not sure about the particular model, there, but the big Optechs I use for my heavier stuff have a neoprene pad and then a somewhat elastic part that's placed over that loosely to sort of control any bouncing, ...works just fine that way, it gives a little but not too far. I suspect that some neoprene ones with stitching along them won't bounce too much.

I actually got another one for my K20D that's coming, but it might be a while before anything very heavy goes on there. I use these boomerangey ones for some reasonably heavy stuff, and they work pretty well.
12-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I've found that with my Matin neoprene, it doesn't really bounce around that much, i.e. it's not at all like an elastic band type of effect. It actually takes some force to make it stretch, and I've never had my camera+lens actually bounce around.

Of course, my heaviest combo is only a K10D with a Sigma 10-20, but my feeling is that if you put a camera and 70-200 around your neck with a Matin neoprene strap, you will feel it stretching a little bit, and then it'll settle. Just remember YMMV.

Any chance you can check one out in a walk-in store?
12-16-2008, 05:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Not sure which camera shop is selling a matin strap. I am pretty sure those shops in perth downtown ain't selling them.
12-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I just got my K20d, and put one of those Optech neoprene straps on directly. The camera has a bit nicer of an amount of heft to it than I was necessarily-expecting, so I don't anticipate many neoprene problems. (I'd been initially thinking one of these might be a bit much without a heavy lens. ) I wouldn't be concerned too much about neoprene bounce, in general, here. It's rarely been noticeable with the heavier stuff I've carried, and pretty well-controlled.
12-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I just got my K20d, and put one of those Optech neoprene straps on directly. The camera has a bit nicer of an amount of heft to it than I was necessarily-expecting, so I don't anticipate many neoprene problems. (I'd been initially thinking one of these might be a bit much without a heavy lens. ) I wouldn't be concerned too much about neoprene bounce, in general, here. It's rarely been noticeable with the heavier stuff I've carried, and pretty well-controlled.
I don't have any problem at all with the OPtech straps. I love them. I also like that the connections provide the ability for me to use a wrist strap, neck strap or my Kinesis harness without having to fish things through those stupidly small strap lugs on the camera. I like having different carrying options depending on the lens I am using and also the conditions I am shooting under. Optech straps are the most comfortable I've owned and I haven't noticed any bounce it the ones I've used. I use the wide pro series optech neck straps.
12-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamgray Quote
Any advice on a strap to avoid back pain from a long day of shooting and hauling gear?
I love using this harness system when doing a long hike with a big heavy lens like the Bigma.
Kinesis Photo Gear [H-Series] Harnesses & Camera Straps
I use it mostly without the waist belt and bags I also got with it. The harness itself has been a workhorse for me. It is very well made and saves my back big time. I have used it with a regular lowepro backback and even the Pentax slingbag. But it isn't all that great with the slingbag in combo, too many things going on too close to each other with that set up. Another great thing about the Kinesis system is that I could get the harness iwth compatible connectors for my optech neck straps and wrist straps. This way I never have to change the connector on the camera body, but I have lots of options of how to carry my camera depending on lens choice and shooting conditions.