Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I want an awesome strap

The current strap I use for the K20D is an OpTech one that is very good in that it's virtually impossible to slip off your shoulder and has some "give" in it making the camera feel lighter.

However, if I carry it around my shoulder it's inconvenient to grab and shoot, and I don't like carrying it around my neck.

What do you use that makes it both convenient to carry and convenient to use?

12-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

BlackRapid: Home
12-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm rather fond of my SLR-KEVLAR Limited Edition: UPstrap. Has plenty of length so I don't feel like the camera is bobbing right under my chin and it doesn't choke me out if I flip the camera into portrait orientation. The strap itself is only 1/2" wide so it doesn't get in the way. They're pricey compared to the op-techs but I don't see myself ever wearing it out either.
12-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #4

Any advice on a strap to avoid back pain from a long day of shooting and hauling gear?

12-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use nylon webbing and plasic buckles bought from a camping supply store.

I like to either wear the camera with the strap across my body (like the Rapid Strap), or wrapped around my wrist.

I find the padded, and non-slip style straps too short, and too cumbersome. Also, they do not slide well when the camera is over my sholder.
12-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
You are a good man. Wife's ordering me one for Xmas. (The RS-2.) Looks awesome.
12-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a few of the Op-tech boomerang-shaped ones: it started as the easiest way to get into a decent strap for my Mamiya, (that's about the only thing I commonly wear around my neck, not only is this comfy, it makes a handy back-of-the-neck warmer when I'm using the WLF in the cold. Also good for my F1-N, since I scored a winder. (this camera can get heavy when there's a bigger lens on there.)

The different colors are useful to me, too, for ease of telling them apart. I've about tapped the line out for colors sedate enough for me to stand, though.

I'd say, Lam, that those are about as easy on the back as anything out there, to my knowing. For hauling, you might try a backpack, (I'm not wild about this concept, myself,) or something you can sling courier-style, with the right pad. (I actually used to *be* a bike courier, so I'm set there. )

For lighter things, I like the old Lowepro Speedster: (you can still find these) it's a little less than an inch and a half wide, no padding, and an extremely grippy rubber-thread weave on one side. Prevents my bridge camera from flying away, and it's nice for everything but really heavy stuff. Takes up like no space in a bag, too, so it's great for second bodies. I wish *those* came in different colors, too. Perfectly comfy for a metal SLR and a prime lens. I might grab another one for my Pentax DSLR if the green Optech I scored is just excessive. (I don't want to take the Speedster I have off the Lumix cause my dear one will be using the little guy here and there, and the stock strap is a stupendous hassle. It's highly unlikely I'll be carrying both digitals at the same time much, anyway.

Chatter.

Anyway, you might try a Speedster if your rig isn't too massive. Very simple, works great.

(Just in the nick of too late with the advice, it seems. I'd be curious to hear how that thing works out, Ping. )

12-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Banned

greatest strap ever.

12-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That ought to hold it.
12-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I went through a number of straps: Tamrac, Lowepro, Kata, Invicta, Optechs - I'm using the regular Pentax strap now. I'm using it on my K20D with the DA Limiteds and it's just nice and compact. I'm eyeing the Domke Gripper straps, compact light and doesn't slip off the shoulder.

I was eyeing the Upstrap but man it's expensive. I like the Blackrapids, but don't see the need to spend for a strap now. When I was using the heavier 2.8 zooms (sold them), I loved the Invicta X1. It's made here in the Philippines. He studied the different straps available and designed his own. It's awesome AND compact. I hated the bulk of the Optechs and such. It was detachable too so when doing tripod work I'd remove it.

So the ones that top my list (in no particular order) are the normal strap, Domke, Invicta and Blackrapids.
12-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
greatest strap ever.

Does the strap weigh more then the camera?
12-08-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Banned

you'd think it does, it looks like it does. but its quite comfortable. and I know it wont fall apart!
12-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's an awesome strap séamuis!
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
Banned

yes, yes it is.
12-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #15

Great strap

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/41469-nice-strap.html

I tried them all... this one is the very best in quality AND a great value.