Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2021, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to me that there isn't a perfect solution. In the end, the decision for a specific solution depends on your preference or focus reason.... dirt/protection/carry-on/....

Mine is a backpack with sideloader/sling type capability. Fit for a camera with three some lenses (depending on size/use) and ease to use (grab the camera and shoot). Rainproof.
Brand: unknown, bought in photo shop, 10+ years old. Looks new (well maybe I should say: a little dust inside not affecting functionality...)

But I admit I grew fond of backpacks over time: I use them for daily work (laptop), for business travel (laptop & others), for private travel (anything up to a week), for photography, .... I feel it offers me the flexibility to walk anywhere with anything where wheels won't work.

One reason is that I traveled to many countries where trolleys on wheels were useless (no paved footpaths, nature trails etc...) and backpacks proved easy,
another is the relief for my back when carrying medium to heavy luggage ... everything asymmetric (one hand carrying) hurts after some time. Even my 3-4 kg photography feels heavy after a day citytripping.

So my preferred solution isn’t one but many backpacks....

12-08-2021, 02:47 AM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I guess it’s possible to adapt a Pelican case to wear as a backpack.
My Pelican 1510s (which are aircraft friendly carry on transit cases) are just way too heavy for that... bought them cos they're on wheels and certainly wouldn't put them anywhere near my back.

Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Once I get to the shoot, I decant the required kit my into shoot bag.

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database fitted with if needed Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
My Pelican 1510s (which are aircraft friendly carry on transit cases) are just way too heavy for that... bought them cos they're on wheels and certainly wouldn't put them anywhere near my back.

Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Once I get to the shoot, I decant the required kit my into shoot bag.

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database fitted with if needed Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
While abroad a few years ago, I finally gave in to the reality that my sling bag was doing further injury to my scoliosis (“A horse! A horse! My 80-200 for a horse!” ). I spotted a modest-sized backpack with roll-on wheels and telescoping handle in (of all things) a ladies’ outfitters in Budapest, and it’s now part of my go-anywhere camera gear travel kit. The padded compartments from one of my Lowepro backpacks fitted it perfectly.
12-09-2021, 05:44 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I support the concept of using a Pelican pack in the field - where transportation is by ground vehicle. Sadly when flying, unless you are willing to check the case (after removing all the batteries), they hinder the owner from taking other carry-on gear. And if you are touring all day by foot, they likewise have some limitations.

But I don't want to be a nay sayer. Where the case works, it works well.

02-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
What case are you using? The size looks about right for what I would like to carry with me.
02-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 740K70 Quote
What case are you using? The size looks about right for what I would like to carry with me.
It's the Pelican iM2200 Storm Case With Foam, it really works well for me. Not overly large but fits what I need it too. I use it when boating or in my kayak. The foam padding offers super protection and of course the case is waterproof. I have tested that by hosing it off several times after using it in sand. I chose the obnoxious yellow color for visibility, just in case it would go overboard, plus the yellow would not get as hot as a darker color.