Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Compact/Travel Tripod capable of handling 150-450 lens

Some friends and I are planning on a trip to Mexico in April of 2024 to photograph the eclipse. I recently obtained the Pentax 150-450mm lens and the 1.4x HD DA teleconverter for the trip (and the fact that Ive been lusting after those things since they were announced), so now Im saving for a new K3 mkIII as a replacement for my K-5.

After playing around with the 150-450 and TC (and being FLOORED at the wonderful IQ from that combination), Ive quickly learned that my tripod isnt really up to the task. My current unit is a Quantaray QSX-9002D (aka Sunpak 9002DX https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610394-REG/Sunpak_620_6464CC_9002DX_T...981&), and while the legs are decently stable, the pan/tilt head (fixed to the tripod legs) is really taxed by the weight load, and is a bit of a pain to use with such a large body/lens combo.

As such, Im looking for advice on a solid tripod and ball head that can handle a K-5 w/grip (and eventually a K-3 mkII w/grip) with a 150-450 mounted. I would like to find something that is a bit more compact than my Quantary/Sunpak (about 24" folded down, and weighing 3.5lbs), so I can take it with me on my eclipse trip to Mexico. I have hiked several times with my current tripod (the pain we put ourselves through for the perfect shot), so I dont need ultralight and ultracompact, but would prefer something that is definitely shorter than 24" folded.

Budget for this is semi flexible. Id love to get one around $150-200, but am willing to go up to $300 for the right unit. Based on user feedback on here, two of the most popular units seem to be the MeFoto RoadTrip S and the Sirui T-25SK, but would love to hear from experience from other forum members on tripod solutions they use for their 150-450mm lens (or similar large Pentax/Sigma/Tamron lenses)

01-16-2022, 11:46 PM   #2
Banned

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748512-REG/Polaroid_PLTRI72_PLTRI72_7...981&

I have that, it can take the weight but has two severe problems...

1. the screw portion will screw into the cameras tripod thread on my D7500 but any movement of the tripod or pan head will cause the camera to loosen. Nothing will stay tight unless the video camera pin has a hole to slide into.

it only really will work if you have the connector such as this

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162898-REG/sigma_7457z7_tripod_colla...981&

Also on that polaroid tripod, the pan head may lock in place but it cannot support the weight. I use a https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082155-REG/sigma_150_600mm_f_5_6_3_d...981& with a D7500. That combination will give you a true man sized upper body in no time at all...

I also use a canon FTb new, with a vivitar lens.. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/885033-REG/Vivitar_v_650_1300_650_130...981&

in both instance i can level the lens and camera to be perfectly horizontal, lock the locking screws down tight, and the moment i let go of the tilt handle, the front of the camera lens will droop by about 2 inches. MORE if i actually extend the lenses fully.
01-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got most of my tripod stuff used on ebay, and have been really really happy that I went that route. KEH, Roberts, and the rest deal in that stuff used, as well.
Mine is a larger type than you're looking for, so I won't give specific recommendations on particular models. But I want to point out that with $200 or $300 in the used market, you can be looking at some pretty high end models.
I also think it's worth going as high quality as your budget can support (within reason); it really pays you back in results for a long time, with every lens and camera you end up using.

Last edited by wadge22; 01-17-2022 at 12:08 AM.
01-17-2022, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can have a tripod and head which will do the job properly and which is (a) light & compact, (b) sturdy and (c) within that budget but only two out of those three are available at any one time. I recommend you start looking for something secondhand to keep the cost down.

You will of course be fixing the lens to the head, not the camera.

01-17-2022, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for searching for a used one. I paid $25 at my local charity shop for the just superceded Manfroto valued at over$600au in near new condition. Admittedly it is more the tripod one takes when you have a Sherpa😀
01-17-2022, 02:20 AM   #6
mir
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve Perry has a very good Youtube video about choosing and using tripods and heads:
01-17-2022, 04:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Any tripod can take a Pentax 150-450, but this depends what the tripod is used for. If for slow shutter speed / long exposure / low light , the tripod much be rigid enough to avoid camera/lens motion while the shutter is open. If just for supporting the lens, even a smallish travel tripod can take a few kg of load.

01-17-2022, 06:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

When I read your title, I thought "that's going to be a tough bill to satisfy". The Gitzo travel tripods and the Peak Design are the two that came to mind. The Peak Design is the one I use most often and I'm impressed by its stability vs size, price and weight.

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I would like to find something that is a bit more compact than my Quantary/Sunpak (about 24" folded down, and weighing 3.5lbs)
This opens up many possibilities beyond what is generally called "travel tripods"
If you can justify it, and if you're taking a trip just to photograph the eclipse (what I'd call a once-in-a-lifetime occasion), I wouldn't cheap on the tripod. I'd get a good set of lens but also a gimbal which will give you much better stability and accuracy. It's going to be cumbersome, but do you really want to have an inadequate tripod mess up with that opportunity?

Have a look at this review. The tripod could be made much smaller for travel, but the gimbal head would be a good place to start looking.

Oben CT-2491 Tripod, GH-30 Gimbal and MFR4-5 Macro Focus Rail Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use a quality lightweight tripod. The problem is that when using such a tripod with a heavy combo like maybe the K-1 and DFA150-450 the mass center is near the top and the spread at the bottom of the short legs is not very wide in the highest tripod position.

So the whole thing may fall over if something unpredictable like a hit from one side happens. Doesn't have to do anything with the tripod's quality. It's physics. I always stayed directly at the setup when using such.

In the end I bought much longer and thicker legs for my Novoflex Triopod - separate available - and use these with the K-1 and DFA-150-450.

Much wider spread of the legs, camera viewfinder on eye level or even higher if needed and very important - mass center significantly lower relative to the size because of heavier legs. Feels a lot more secure.
01-17-2022, 12:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another option would be a tabletop tripod (here's another example: I have one like this but without the leveler, and it's a delight) or plate type product, along with a good (say, 40lb or better rated) ball, gimbal, or other type of head. Obviously, if shooting from lower to the ground isn't doable for you, this kind of option won't apply. But it does offer some advantages:

-This will allow you to keep the budget down for now while still having an extremely stable setup. Spend ~2/3 of your current budget on the head to get one that you can use forever.

-They are also nice in that you can fit them inside of a camera bag or other luggage, rather than taking a separate bag for the tripod itself, as many of the full sized options which support big lenses wind up requiring.

-Finally, you will be able to use the head on a full size tripod as well. You won't ever regret having the smaller option, even if you wind up purchasing a super heavy duty large tripod some day in the future (as opposed to if you buy a 'half-step' consumer model now, which will probably be outright replaced if you choose to upgrade again).

Last edited by wadge22; 01-17-2022 at 12:30 PM.
01-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote

Budget for this is semi flexible. Id love to get one around $150-200, but am willing to go up to $300 for the right unit. Based on user feedback on here, two of the most popular units seem to be the MeFoto RoadTrip S and the Sirui T-25SK, but would love to hear from experience from other forum members on tripod solutions they use for their 150-450mm lens (or similar large Pentax/Sigma/Tamron lenses)
I don't think either of these have the capacity to hold your rig, I think you need something that has a higher weight rating, more like at least 20 pounds. Same with the head you use. I have a Sirui T-1004SK T-S Aluminum that is rated for twice the load of the T-25SK, those legs would definitely hold it, but my Sirui C10S ballhead which is rated even higher, I don't think it would work, because it has small tightening knobs that don't allow me to get it tight enough. I point that out because there are sometimes additional factors than just capacity.

But you really want expert advice:

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
When I read your title, I thought "that's going to be a tough bill to satisfy". The Gitzo travel tripods and the Peak Design are the two that came to mind. The Peak Design is the one I use most often and I'm impressed by its stability vs size, price and weight.

This opens up many possibilities beyond what is generally called "travel tripods"
If you can justify it, and if you're taking a trip just to photograph the eclipse (what I'd call a once-in-a-lifetime occasion), I wouldn't cheap on the tripod. I'd get a good set of lens but also a gimbal which will give you much better stability and accuracy. It's going to be cumbersome, but do you really want to have an inadequate tripod mess up with that opportunity?

Have a look at this review. The tripod could be made much smaller for travel, but the gimbal head would be a good place to start looking.

Oben CT-2491 Tripod, GH-30 Gimbal and MFR4-5 Macro Focus Rail Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Bernard also knows physics either better than or as well as anyone on this website, and there are some very brilliant people here. There is a lot more to a tripod and head than just holding so much weight and keeping it still. The gimbal head was developed just for the sort of use you are describing. And if you get one, get it in advance you you can get it set up and learn to use it.
01-17-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ditto to the advice above,
One thing to also think about if you intend to pack it, or hike with it any distance,
Carbon fiber legs, they will blow your budget, but you may appreciate them a few miles into your day. They will be considerably lighter than equivalent stiffness aluminum legs.

I've used a monopod a lot with long lenses (not this one) in this range, for birds and other fast moving things it can be a better solution, but for the eclipse, pretty sure you will want a solid tripod.
I've not really backpacked with this kind of gear, but for day hiking, a good monopod can be a handy thing to have with any camera rig, and can double as a hiking stick.
01-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This tripod set is just about $400... Both tripod and gimbal are carbon and very sturdy yet lightweight. I needed to find something that was very inexpensive but wanted carbon... I have several other tripods that are so heavy I just don't use them. I really did not expect the quality to be much yet honestly, I havent had any issues yet and have used it extensively
over the last several months .Understand that my mileage maybe different than yours but with your budget contraints..I would consider it. Worth ordering and seeing in person was my thought. ..and I decided to keep it. It handles my 150-450 and my 150-600 tamron well with bodies and grips.

Obviously a more expensive brand name may be the safer route but sometimes you find a gem that doesnt break the bank.. its rare,but so far I am very happy.

Hth,
AL

amazon.com : Carbon Fiber Tripod Monopod Heavy Duty Bowl Tripod with 75mm Bowl and Bowl Adapter ARTCISE HS80C Ultra Stable & Lightweight Professional Camera Tripod Stand Max Load 66 Pounds/30kg : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com : Neewer Professional Heavy Duty Carbon Fiber 360 Degree Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Head with Standard 1/4 inch Quick Release Plate and Bubble Level for DSLR Cameras up to 30pounds/13.6kilogram : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
01-17-2022, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bean bag!
Big bean bag!!
01-17-2022, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
I appreciate the input so far!

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
LOL...I struggled with trying to find a way to say 'I need a tripod that I can travel with...but need something a bit more than a "travel tripod"'. With the current unit - 24" folded length isnt really small and that length has shown to be an issue when travelling/hiking with it. Ultimately, something that breaks down to around 18" length is what Im looking/hoping for.

I I dont intend to go "cheap" but I also dont need the Cadillac of tripods. I was able to use my current tripod with the K-5/grip and the 150-450 w/ TC attached to get perfectly sharp images of the moon when I tested the lens the day I got it. While it worked, it became pretty clear that the existing tripod (especially the head) was not up to the task of everyday use with this combination.

Ill definitely keep the gimbal in mind.

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
Another option would be a tabletop tripod (here's another example: I have one like this but without the leveler, and it's a delight) or plate type product, along with a good (say, 40lb or better rated) ball, gimbal, or other type of head. Obviously, if shooting from lower to the ground isn't doable for you, this kind of option won't apply. But it does offer some advantages:
Funny you should mention that because Ive been looking at that option to, but for a double purpose - my Theta SC2. A good set of tabletop legs strong enough to support a DSLR, but flexible enough to attach an extension or monopod to capture images (with minimal cleanup) with my Theta. A tabletop tripod is going to be purchased regardless of a full tripod replacement. It may work in this case?