Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #16
Forum Member

Yes you need one. Walk around with a grip attached and watch all the people get outta your way If you ever want to be taken seriously as a photographer you need a grip (or a full body with integrated grip). Your pictures don't matter. Oh, how I wish Pentax made broad (Canikon type) neckstraps too.

Even though I have small (girly ) hands, the grip adds a new level of comfort. It's great with heavier lenses like my Sigma 18-50/2.8. Gives the camera a more balanced feel.

Cheers,
Keith

12-14-2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't really need one, either, but then again, I don't usually *need* the winders on my film cameras, either. But apart from providing the more power, they add that handling convenience, (especially if there's anything like a flash or big lens on there) ...and your photos can always use the *ballast* for steadiness, even if your carrying shoulder might have a different opinion.

I'll see how long I last without wanting one. I'm taking bets. Mine says three months.

(edit: Ah, now that I have my K20d, maybe I can hold out a while, this body seems to have a pretty appropriate amount of heft and is actually a great size for me, at least till something like a heavy flash might go on there.

(Also, for verticals when you don't have a vertical release, I generally advise going shutter-side down rather than having your right hand flying around over your head, ..not doing much good up there. It seems to feel a bit awkward at first, (For some it really is, depending maybe on your size: ) but combined with the right stance, that's usually the best way to do it if you can get a smooth release. It's good to learn both, though, so you can have a little more control over flash shadows, if nothing else.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-16-2008 at 12:45 PM.
12-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Apart from taking vertical shots, I am also thinking of giving my k200d a more professional look. Will the grip do the right magic?
12-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
Apart from taking vertical shots, I am also thinking of giving my k200d a more professional look. Will the grip do the right magic?
Pick up a Rebel XTi or even XSi and then compare it to the K200d and you will realize it doens't need the grip to feel more substantial.

12-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you are using a longer telephoto, it helps balance the weight and gives you better stability.
12-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atyab Quote
They do do that. Most people can't tell one camera from another, apart from the most general of shapes. (Heck, *I* can't, anymore, for the most part, they all look the same to me from any distance these days: I'm always a bit stunned when my old F1-N is mistaken for a digital, though, probably just because of the winder)

I bet that K200would make a pretty nice package with a grip, actually, just in general, though.
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #22

Get a Grip

Not only does the grip house the spare battery and the IR Remote but also a spare SD Card - besides all the camera appeal already mentioned. Without the grip my K20D or K10D feel naked...